Santa Rosa /El Toro 3-22-08 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few of us from the Southern Riverside County/Northern San Diego County area will be doing a run up the east side of Santa Rosa peak this Saturday.
This trail is a little gem that few people are aware of- It was impassable for a few years due to downed tree's near the top. It gives you the big bear feel with out the drive.

The trail is called Sawmill and it starts in the Pinyon Flats area east of Anza. The first part of the trail is typical fire road, with the final section an old logging road that meets up at stump springs - where the west approach comes in. If any of you are in to Mt. Biking -you may have heard about this killer downhill trail. The trail can be run in vehicles with open diff's, but 31" tires or larger, sliders, and a mild lift are recommended. Most of the 80's I have seen on this site would have no problem. Stock vehicles could meet us on top using the west approach.

FWIW- I have seen guys do this in vehicles larger than 80's, but it requires some skill to negotiate a few tight turns. If I get a chance I will post some pictures of last years run.

The elevation at the top of Santa Rosa/ El Toro is over 8,000 feet and their still may be some snow on top. The views are great. If you have ever been down in Coyote Canyon and looked up at the peak to the northeast- That's El Toro.

We are planning on meeting at the 79/371 intersection at 8:30 a.m.
With a departure at 8:45 a.m. This will be a 3/4 day trip and you can be home easily by early evening.

if any of you guys don't mind can hanging out with a few of us lowly 40 owners, we would love to have you along.

Tim

Last edited:
Sounds like an interesting trail, unfortunately I am lacking a few things: sliders, a mild lift and many would argue the required skill.

Enjoy, have FUN, & most importantly write up a trail report with pics....

If you or anyone in a stocker is interested in going, you could go up the west side and meet us at the intersection near the top. We will have to go past this turn off anyway. This route is all fire road up to the top of Santa Rosa Peak and it is not uncommom to see cars up there.

Tim

Hmm, this looks interesting. I'm not sure if I can make it yet, but will keep an eye on this thread.

How close to the 15 is the meeting place?

edit: Looks improbable. Just found out I have a niece's birthday party. You all have fun.

Last edited:
Snow play anyone?

I just got back from a quick trip to Palm Desert. This took me by the trail turn off and there is still snow visible on the east side of the Santa Rosa Mountains. :bounce::bounce:. The west side also should be passable for stock vehicles if any one wants to meet at the top.

With the high temps heading this way, this will probally be gone by next week - so if anyone wants to meet us for some spring time SO-CAL snow wheeling. We will be hitting the trail head around 9:45-10:00.

Also as an FYI- the current group is made up of guys from the IE. This means we will be taking a different route to Anza and bypassing the 371/79 turn off. We should be rolling through Anza around 9:30 and will be stopping to top off gas and get some ice at the Chevron near the dairy queen.

Tim

Sounds like an interesting trail, unfortunately I am lacking a few things: sliders, a mild lift and many would argue the required skill.

Enjoy, have FUN, & most importantly write up a trail report with pics....

Our trip sucked.
I wished I had stayed home and painted easter eggs.:flipoff2:

Pictures and videos can be seen here - Santa Rosa 2008

Sign in to Murrieta Valley Four Wheelers - Murrieta Valley Four Wheelers

We will be going back to reopen the east side trail - chainsaws and winches will be needed.

Good times, Toyos at 8-10lbs still dont work as well as BFG's in snow......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom