Bypass rheostat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just installed a new stereo and speakers in my 80 and when I plugged the rheostat back in, the 15 amp tail fuse keeps blowing. It's annoying to not have dash lights and a new rheostat runs $130 from Toyota so I was wondering if anyone had any luck bypassing it and how they did it? I bypassed the one in my '85 toy truck but that was only two wires and this is a '92 '80 with three wires going into it. Any way I have tried it either does nothing or blows the fuse. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

I just installed a new stereo and speakers in my 80 and when I plugged the rheostat back in, the 15 amp tail fuse keeps blowing. It's annoying to not have dash lights and a new rheostat runs $130 from Toyota so I was wondering if anyone had any luck bypassing it and how they did it? I bypassed the one in my '85 toy truck but that was only two wires and this is a '92 '80 with three wires going into it. Any way I have tried it either does nothing or blows the fuse. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Was it working OK before you installed the stereo?

If so perhaps you have a wiring issue not a bad rheostat.

It worked fine before the stereo. That's what I can't figure out. I usually cut and solder all the wires for my stereo installs but this time around I used the adapter harness from Metra. Didn't cut a single wire with my install and it's still acting this way.

It worked fine before the stereo. That's what I can't figure out. I usually cut and solder all the wires for my stereo installs but this time around I used the adapter harness from Metra. Didn't cut a single wire with my install and it's still acting this way.

Any luck?

I would pull the dash back off and look at the wiring diagram for harness, sounds like the wire to dim the OEM radio lighting is the problem. Pull it out of the connector or clip it.

The dimming circuit was the issue. I pulled the dimming wires out of the stereo harness and everything is working great now. Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom