Lexus LS400 power-steering in an FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aotearoa - New Zealand, land of hobbits and The Al
Hi there,

here's probably a really stoopid question for those of you in the know...

I have a Lexus LS400 that I'm using as a donor car for an AC Cobra build. One of the parts that I'm NOT using is the power-steering.

Would this sit ok in my FJ40? Anybody know this unit or done this before? How would it perform? Too few turns for a '72 FJ40? Any likely problems with mounting it?

Appreciate the advice.

Cheers,

David.

Not sure what kind of power steering is in that, i assume rack and pinion. In which case the only part that might be useful is the pump. On a side note, I built a factory five cobra, what manufacturer uses lexus parts?

This Cobra's a prototype so Secret Squirrel stuff. Should be ready within the month. ;o)

Wow! That pump has mounting points from the front and side of the engine. A real pain to R&R. Just drop the whole engine in there and call it good.

I'm a big fan of the 1UZFE - all aluminum block with 6 bolt mains - that's right 6. Good luck with the Cobra build, I am envious. The cooling fan on the 1UZ equipped SC400 (Celsior) still has me amazed - most engines use a belt driven fan attached to the water pump or electric - the SC400 used a hydraulic fan with a gear driven pump = quiet. The p/s pumps leak over time on the 1UZ and kills the alternator located below it in the process - make sure you replace the seals or the pump before running it in the cobra: 95 SC400 Power Steering Pump Leak / Alternator - Club Lexus Forums

Wow! That pump has mounting points from the front and side of the engine. A real pain to R&R. Just drop the whole engine in there and call it good.

Funny you should mention that... evidently you're using Jedi mind-tricks 'cause that's exactly what I had planned in my scheming mind! :D

Those 1UZ engines run smooth as too. There's a reason why people talk about the ability to leave a cup of tea sitting on the block while revving the hell out of it without spilling a drop. So overly engineered - truly a beautiful piece of work. But will take on board the advice to replace all seals before fitting the engine.

Cheers y'all!

Not sure what kind of power steering is in that, i assume rack and pinion. In which case the only part that might be useful is the pump. On a side note, I built a factory five cobra, what manufacturer uses lexus parts?

Forgot to say: Factory Five make a niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice Cob. ;o) And their GTM Supercar is a fine piece of work too. Would be great to see some pics of your Cobra :D

What a great engine to use....I had a 90 LS400 that was bulletproof. Sure they had a few little issues (power steering leaking on the alternator), but if the proper maintenance schedule was kept, those things went forever. The power was incredible and the fuel economy wasn't all that bad either for a 4500 lb car.

That would be a great build. Sticking that engine in the cruiser. Wonder if you could mate it up to some kinda tranny/t-case combo. The only issue I can see is that it might be too long and make the rear shaft extremely short.

Forgot to say: Factory Five make a niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice Cob. ;o) And their GTM Supercar is a fine piece of work too. Would be great to see some pics of your Cobra :D

Here you go! I dont intend to sidetrack this thread, Got any pics of that engine? That fan sounds very interesting too. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but is that an 8 or 6 cyl?

Here you go! I dont intend to sidetrack this thread, Got any pics of that engine? That fan sounds very interesting too. Pardon my lack of knowledge, but is that an 8 or 6 cyl?

Don't have any pics but try Lexus-Toyota V8 Performance Forum - awesome site with lots of information on this engine and do's / don'ts / possibly / maybe / gotta be worth a go / good for a laugh!

Hope you're all having a great Easter! Glorious sunshine, beaches and babes here in NZ! ;o)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom