FJ 62 whinning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kkt

Threads
I am getting a high pitched whine from what sounds like the rear. I rotated the tires and I know some of the noise is the tires but not all. 88FJ62 178K miles
The whine started out a couple weeks ago at 55 but now happens at 30-35 mph only when you are acclerating. The noise goes away if truck is put out of gear(automatic of course) or if you let off the accelerator. Whine is not there when truck is on center rack in gear going 35. The noise is not there if the transfer case is in neutral and transmission is in drive with engine revved. All fluids in tranfer case and diff are fine. Some play in rear diff. So what is it?
Diff? Tnsf case? Tranny? Or just the tires.
Just drove it 170 miles round trip no noticeable power issues but it is whinning like my ex wife.

... but it is whinning like my ex wife.

:D :D :D

Has the rear diff ever been apart? In my experience, noises in the rear that are linked to acceleration/decelleration are usually pinion bearings.

:D :D :D

Has the rear diff ever been apart? In my experience, noises in the rear that are linked to acceleration/decelleration are usually pinion bearings.
Rear has never been apart. Put amsoil synthetic gear oil in at 100k. Actually I hope it is the rear diff as I have a complete front axle as a spare that I can take the chunck from. Guess I will start there as it will be easier than the transfer case or transmission. Will post an update.
Thanks for the input.

The last time that happened to me. A buddie told me to check the transmission filter. It was clogged and the pump was cavitating. Cleaned it out and it drove fine for a while with no whinning.

Update

Rear has never been apart. Put amsoil synthetic gear oil in at 100k. Actually I hope it is the rear diff as I have a complete front axle as a spare that I can take the chunck from. Guess I will start there as it will be easier than the transfer case or transmission. Will post an update.
Thanks for the input.
Took diff from front to put into rear. This is what the rear small gear looked like couple of missing teeth and lots of wear. Put it back together using the front diff. It is still whining but it does operate a lot better with less noise and no clunking. Next week I will start the rebuild on the transfer case hope it is the transfer case whinning and not the tranny but glad I took care of the rear diff now as I know one day it would have just come apart.
IMGP4584.JPG
IMGP4585.JPG
IMGP4586.JPG

Last edited:
Took diff from front to put into rear. This is what the rear small gear looked like couple of missing teeth and lots of wear. Put it back together using the front diff. It is still whining but it does operate a lot better with less noise and no clunking. Next week I will start the rebuild on the transfer case hope it is the transfer case whinning and not the tranny but glad I took care of the rear diff now as I know one day it would have just come apart.
side gear failure usually are caused by sudden load change like tires spinning and suddenly grabs.

I agree on the pinion bearing/adjustment. Even with chunks out of the gear it would probably run a long time and not necessarily whine.

I am getting a high pitched whine from what sounds like the rear. I rotated the tires and I know some of the noise is the tires but not all. 88FJ62 178K miles
The whine started out a couple weeks ago at 55 but now happens at 30-35 mph only when you are acclerating. The noise goes away if truck is put out of gear(automatic of course) or if you let off the accelerator. Whine is not there when truck is on center rack in gear going 35. The noise is not there if the transfer case is in neutral and transmission is in drive with engine revved. All fluids in tranfer case and diff are fine. Some play in rear diff. So what is it?
Diff? Tnsf case? Tranny? Or just the tires.
Just drove it 170 miles round trip no noticeable power issues but it is whinning like my ex wife.
Solution:
Rebuilt the tranfer case today here is a picture of the scarred idler shaft and worn needle rolling bearings. This was the problem, now no whining from the case or from me.
I thought that I would post this because often someone post a problem, ask for help, maybe gets helps, fixes the problem and the solution is never given. Maybe we can start a new trend here and the solutions will be at the end of the threads.
IMGP4588.JPG
IMGP4590.JPG

Were those parts included in a rebuild kit, or did you have another TCase to swap them from? I'm just wondering because I would like to pull my TCase apart as well.

Were those parts included in a rebuild kit, or did you have another TCase to swap them from? I'm just wondering because I would like to pull my TCase apart as well.

they are usually included in the rebuild kits.
j

they are usually included in the rebuild kits.
j
Yeah they are usually included in the kits. But if you order the parts individually from toyota you can probably beat the 200 or so price from spector or man a fre. by about 50 or 60 bucks. The idler shaft is the most expensive part at about 50 bucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom