Builds ROTW 4dmalamute (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have finally taken the time out and would like to contribute to the ROTW. Not sure where to start so here it goes but please, bare with me and try to follow along with the random side notes.

My obsession with Land Cruisers has been with me since I was 15 years old. I was dead set on getting a FJ40 for my first automobile (back then though, I knew it as “those Toyota jeep looking things!”) Anyway, I found one in the paper and my pops and I decided to go look at it. When we showed up though, I was highly disappointed due to the fact that the FJ40 was really a FJ55 that was sprung over, etc. Me being a total dumba#% decided to pass on it :frown:. So, that is how my first experience with cruisers went.

Jump forward 19 years to 2008. My obsession hasn’t changed for the love of the Cruisers. I have had a 1976 FJ40 (sprung, lockers, etc), 1970 FJ40 (stocker), 1985 FJ60 (sprung over, locked, etc), 1991 FJ80 (OME, ARB, etc) and finally, what I have currently a 1993 FZJ80 with a bunch of things on it. So, yes, this cruiser habit of mine isn’t something new. Now, onto my current rig.

A few years back (early 2005) I was driving in town where I live (Turlock California) and spotted this completely stock green cruiser for sale. I figured what the heck, might as well go look at it since it would be my “fun” vehicle and I wouldn’t be driving it everyday. Well, the cruiser was bone stock, high miles (245k), had cloth interior, clean body, paint was fading in the “normal” spots etc. Then, as I glanced through the window, I noticed that ever soo important switch on the lower left side……….IT HAD LOCKERS! That was it, I was sold on it. I called the guy who was selling it and he met me so that I could take it for a spin. Turns out, the owner of the beast had NEVER taken the rig off road. His wife used the cruiser as a grocery getter and for their church youth group outings to the city, etc. SWEET!!

I will skip boring stuff. Basically, I picked the cruiser up for $4250.00. All I am saying is, I sort of threw out the “hey, this locker isn’t locking, because the light just keeps blinking!” Needless to say, it was just sticking a bit since it had NEVER been used. Matter of fact, the guy didn’t even know what the switch was for! EVEN BETTER!

Ok, so, here is what my rig has transformed into over the past few years.

1. OME J spring lift and shocks
2. Slee spacers in rear and 1.5 spacers up front
3. Extended brake lines
4. Extended breathers for axles
5. 1.5 wheel spacers to give it a wider stance
6. 315 BFG Mud tires on stock rims
7. Painted the stock rims with Satin black (cheap but looks good and has held up for 2+ years now)
8. Put the 100 series brake pads up front (a good mod that I would recommend to anyone doing their brakes!)
9. Line-x the lower half and hood of the cruiser.
10. Snorkel (Ok, wasn’t a necessity which my wife still points out on a daily basis :rolleyes:but damn, it looks good!)
11. TJM front bumper (A HUGE THANK YOU TO ALVARO!):cheers:
12. Hanna Sliders
13. Hella lights on the front bumper
14. Slee rear bumper with tire carrier and tow attachment
15. Slee transfer skid plate
16. Slee light harness
17. Con-Ferr six foot roof rack with custom ply wood floor! 
18. Four cheap (I forget where I got them) lights on the roof rack!
19. Axe and shovel mounted on the rack (once again, the wife ask WHY!!)
20. Dual battery set up. Running a yellow top and red top with the painless wiring kit.
21. Cobra CB mounted under the JVS Stereo. New speakers all around and pushing a 10inch sub in the back just to give it some good vibrations.
22. Two fire extinguishers inside the beast. One mounted next to the shifter and the other mounted in the rear cargo area.
23. Aux. Power switch in the back cargo area.
24. PHH done with the blue kit.
25. New Rad. (mud jacked up the other one!)
26. Slee extended brake lines
27. Slee swaybar drop kit
28. Extended bump stops
29. Slee Caster Plates
30. Tinted windows all the way around

Im sure there is more things I have done but I cant remember at the moment!

So, this is how my beast sits currently. Oh yes, along with the modifications, the beast has the check engine light on (for two years now) with the 83,84,85 etc codes…….and yes, I do have the “newer” ecu in the beast. ABS light has been on ever since I owned it due to the front right sensor is shot (still looking to purchase one if anyone has a spare that wouldn’t mind letting it go for a low amount?). Basically, when I drive my beast at night the dash looks like a fricking Christmas tree with all the lights on…….I keep hoping one day they will either burn out or somehow “fix” themselves!

What I want for the future (on hold till further notice says the wife!) is the Slee six inch lift, warn winch and some 37 inch tires. Until then, the beast is going to sit how it is.

Here are some shots of the cruiser. Enjoy and once again, sorry for the long winded, random ROTW content. Also, I would like to thank everyone who has taken the time out to answer questions, help me out and just provide great information on this site. :beer::beer::beer:

Cheers,
Chans
SSCN0480.JPG
SSCN0516.JPG
SSCN0531.JPG

Last edited:
Nice looking rig. Have you regeared yet? I like the liner on the hood, just not sure whether i will bed line mine when i do the rocker panels or go with flat black paint. I also like the black wheels but am concerned with touching up rock rash on black wheels, I kind of like not worrying about scrapes needing to be touched up with the current "stock finish".

Nice looking rig. Have you regeared yet? I like the liner on the hood, just not sure whether i will bed line mine when i do the rocker panels or go with flat black paint. I also like the black wheels but am concerned with touching up rock rash on black wheels, I kind of like not worrying about scrapes needing to be touched up with the current "stock finish".

I havent regeared as of yet. It doesnt do to bad with the set up like it is but I also live in the flattest part of the state possible!:frown:

The black wheels are super easy to take care of actually. If the get scraped up, just hit them really quick with the black paint. Its been two years or more since I painted mine and I havent touched them up yet.:beer:

I did forget to mention (as someone ask me already) how I corrected the caster issue........ by using the Slee Caster plates. Easy install on the item and did make a big difference. Here is one more shot of the beast (she looked sad today so I went out and snapped another shot!):steer:

Poor rig though, hasnt been wheeling in a long time. :frown:
SSCN1836.JPG

I have the J springs right now on my rig with the Slee Caster Plates. I noticed that you have the J springs plus a 1.5" spacer on top and the Slee Caster Plates. This is the exact setup I am looking to move to. Did you have to add any additional steering parts or were the Slee Caster Plates sufficient to correct any issues.

Nice rig.

I have the J springs right now on my rig with the Slee Caster Plates. I noticed that you have the J springs plus a 1.5" spacer on top and the Slee Caster Plates. This is the exact setup I am looking to move to. Did you have to add any additional steering parts or were the Slee Caster Plates sufficient to correct any issues.

Nice rig.

All I have on the beast is the caster plates and they seem to be very sufficient. I havent had an issue for 2+years now on this set up.

:cheers:

WOW! Amazing rig!

Very nice setup! Do you have any tire rubbing or clearance issues with the 1.5" spacers?

tONy

Very nice setup! Do you have any tire rubbing or clearance issues with the 1.5" spacers?

tONy

In this picture, I had some rubbing on the rear fender flare. I was going to take the flares off due to the rubbing when fully flexed but I decided I like the look with them on. When they finally do get ripped off (I know they will eventually:)) I will have the line-x redone.
:beer:
SSCN1375.JPG

Amazing rig and nice mileage as well:cheers:.
Is that a CHP cruiser? What kind of nasty move did you do, or was this officer just interested in your buildup?

Amazing rig and nice mileage as well:cheers:.
Is that a CHP cruiser? What kind of nasty move did you do, or was this officer just interested in your buildup?

Yep, that is a CHP Cruiser! I had to just throw that picture in there for kicks. He sure was interested in the cruiser.......matter of fact, he did a full blown inspection on my rig right on the side of the freeway!:mad:

Ya, I sort of did something bad:whoops:.........I was pulling my trailer full of dirt bikes, going about 80mph (I know, not smart) in the fast lane (really NOT smart) and I have my Class A License. Sooo, I was totally at fault and had a nice big fine of 950.00 bucks AND two points on my record! All I know though, the cruiser did really well pulling three bikes, tons of camping gear and my daughter (five years old) who was in the back seat thought her daddy getting pulled over was a good thing!:bang:

Last edited:
really nice setup I'm doing dual batteries soon how hard was the install and were did you locate your second one ?

Sooo, I was totally at fault and had a nice big fine of 950.00 bucks AND two points on my record! All I know though, the cruiser did really well pulling three bikes, tons of camping gear and my daughter (five years old) who was in the back seat thought her daddy getting pulled over was a good thing!:bang:
Ouch. 950 bucks! At least he didn't shoot you ;)

really nice setup I'm doing dual batteries soon how hard was the install and were did you locate your second one ?

The install was actually very easy. I ordered the painless wire kit (forget how much but I dont think it was bad) and yellow top battery from a local auto store. I mounted the switch on the lower left side of the steering wheel. Oh yes, I ordered the second battery tray from CDan and all the parts that go with it.
SSCN0971.JPG
SSCN0972.JPG
SSCN0970.JPG

Last edited:
Sweet rig! I like the dual-batt setup, not sure if I will ever do it, but maybe when I get a winch I'll think about it a little more. Excellent write-up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom