Homemade M416 tent mount? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone built, or seen, a homemade "trailer top" tent arrangement? I'm thinking of some foldable platform (plywood probably?) on top of an M416 trailer. Something that would serve as a cover for the trailer while towing and a platform for a tent when camping. It would be sized to fit the tent (somewhat bigger than the top of the M416 with support legs) with some sort of receivers for the 4 tent posts and hooks for the tie downs. Add a pad (maybe marine grade carpet?) to the cover to make to more comfortable...

Thoughts?

Mark

If it wasn't a RTT I woud be hesitant to go to that length to make it work. If it is a nice ground tent, I would just pitch it on the ground.

Just my .02

1. RTTs are considerably more expensive than ground tents.

2. With this set up I'd have the option to pitch it on the ground or the trailer.

In bad weather or poor ground conditions the trailer mounting might be more suitable.

The lengths to make it work might not be so... lengthy. I've been playing with some cardstock to figure out a folding system that would be simple and strong... I may try an origami approach!

Thanks... all comments are welcome...

Mark

How about a "truck tent"? I'd have to mod the trailer to have a tailgate (which I'm gonna do anyway), and it would be pretty narrow at the floor... but it could be cool!

Cabela's -- Sportz Truck Tent III

Last edited:
I think you make a great point, but at this point in my life, I stay clear of known bad weather... I am getting too old. :D

I am getting too old. :D

I turned 50 this last summer and sleeping on the ground is less appealing all the time... that's why I got this: (But I don't always want to tow the camper so I was thinking about a mini-camper with the M416)

Last edited:
Has anyone built, or seen, a homemade "trailer top" tent arrangement? I'm thinking of some foldable platform (plywood probably?) on top of an M416 trailer. Something that would serve as a cover for the trailer while towing and a platform for a tent when camping. It would be sized to fit the tent (somewhat bigger than the top of the M416 with support legs) with some sort of receivers for the 4 tent posts and hooks for the tie downs. Add a pad (maybe marine grade carpet?) to the cover to make to more comfortable...

Thoughts?

Mark
I considered this one time. My thought was to pick up a used canvas cabin tent. Cut the floor and sidewalls off the part that would be over the trailer platform then re-stitch the floor in and close off the "drop" with the scrap rear sidewall. I think the external frame poles could be adapted pretty easy.

I bet there are a lot of those old school tents around that could be had for little or nothing.
WeatherMaster_Cabin_Tent.jpg

I considered this one time. My thought was to pick up a used canvas cabin tent. Cut the floor and sidewalls off the part that would be over the trailer platform then re-stitch the floor in and close off the "drop" with the scrap rear sidewall. I think the external frame poles could be adapted pretty easy.

I bet there are a lot of those old school tents around that could be had for little or nothing.

That'd be sweet! I would love to see someone go for this... I thought about it with Pop up parts for about one minute, then decided the coin and hassle would be better spent on a RTT. It would be cool to see for sure.

I'm starting tomorrow night, will take pics, I have an M101 that I'm building a 48X84 rack that will fold out to 7' X 8', made of 1" square tube and 5/8 plywood...it bi-folds, so the tent can stay on the rack, I figured I'd use about $150 in materials, and put my $80 tent on it....and replace the tent as I see fit down the road...

I will post and keep tabs on $$

I'm starting tomorrow night, will take pics, I have an M101 that I'm building a 48X84 rack that will fold out to 7' X 8', made of 1" square tube and 5/8 plywood...it bi-folds, so the tent can stay on the rack, I figured I'd use about $150 in materials, and put my $80 tent on it....and replace the tent as I see fit down the road...

I will post and keep tabs on $$

Can't wait to see it. Sounds very interesting.

In the future I will be getting a trailer and taking my Maggiolina AirLand off of my FJ.

It will go on some type of trailer, and the setup will work like either of these pictures.

medOverCampL.jpg

airlandL.jpg

I am kind of partial to picture #2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom