The Best Engine For The 80 Series Is The 1hdt Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The best engine for the 80 Series is the 1HDT 12 VALVES DIESEL TURBO CHARGED. I have a FJ 80 3FE and campared with my HDJ 80 with 1HDT engine is that the 3FE is very UNDERPOWERED ENGINE.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY TOYOTA INSTALLED THIS 3FE ENGINE IN THE 80 SERIES. THE ONLY ADVANTAGE OF THE 3FE BETWEN THE 1HDT IS IN LOW RANGE, IT HAVE MORE POWER AND IT GOES BETER IN CIRCUITS OF OFFROAD AND COMPETITIONS.

MIGUEL

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY TOYOTA INSTALLED THIS 3FE ENGINE IN THE 80 SERIES.

Supposedly, it was because the new drivetrain (1FZ-FE/A442F) wasn't ready until 1993, AFAIK.

The best engine for the 80 Series is the 1HDT 12 VALVES DIESEL TURBO CHARGED. I have a FJ 80 3FE and campared with my HDJ 80 with 1HDT engine is that the 3FE is very UNDERPOWERED ENGINE.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY TOYOTA INSTALLED THIS 3FE ENGINE IN THE 80 SERIES. THE ONLY ADVANTAGE OF THE 3FE BETWEN THE 1HDT IS IN LOW RANGE, IT HAVE MORE POWER AND IT GOES BETER IN CIRCUITS OF OFFROAD AND COMPETITIONS.

MIGUEL

YUP!!

the only reason north america didnt get it in my opinion is because they knew it would blow anything the big 3 had out of the water (in terms of reliability, output and mileage), actually there is quite a few other diesel and fuel efficient motors that would too. Ive read stuff about how it was becaue the refineries were set up to make more gas than diesel, and it was to protect the north american economy and other "poor excuses in my opinion" but Im pretty sure the big 3 had their eye on making disposable vehicles which they pawned off by changing body styles and improving creature comforts in order to keep short term vehicles rolling out and the money rolling in. Unfortunately it appears they made they're own pyramid scheme, a process that relied on growth instead of focusing efforts on sustainability.

Rant over, been into the sauce a bit.. ;)

Last edited:
Holy two-year-old thread Batman!

Holy two-year-old thread Batman!

Wow, if I had happened upon this thread some time ago, I would have known the 3F-E was under-powered.

you guys all wish you had diesels....
admit it already. These trucks aren't sports cars guys.
get a diesel

Best engine for an 80 is the 1HD-FT 24 valve with an added intercooler, snorkel, and 3" exhaust.

The reason the diesels weren't brought to North America is because the GM diesel fiasco of the early 80's ruined the diesel's image here, and not enough people would buy the diesels to make it worth Toyota's trouble to get it certified for sale here.

There is still an anti-diesel bias here, although that is slowly beginning to change.

Finally!

:)

I would too. I have one in my tired old service truck, the thought crosses my mind everytime I tow with the 1hdt...

...but then I would need to buy a new service truck... and Mogs aren't cheap :D

Last edited:
your off your rocker. The best engine is the 1FZ-FE turbo'd

x2

my old work car id drive each day was a boosted intercooled yadayada 1hdt 80 series
id much prefer jumping in my 1fz 79 series pickup and driving that and think driving my brothers 1fz 80 series was much better to drive as well
they are good but not that good to make your claim true
the 1hdt motor does not float in the air with beams of light shinning out of it and a crown on top of it
its a smelly diesel motor:D

sure, ill trade ya...

Sounds like a deal in the making...lol.

Personally, I don`t need the extra power of a 6BT...the 1HD-T is a much more refined engine and is adequate for the purpose of moving an 80 along nicely.

Sounds like a deal in the making...lol.

Personally, I don`t need the extra power of a 6BT...the 1HD-T is a much more refined engine and is adequate for the purpose of moving an 80 along nicely.

Don't get me wrong, I like my 1hdt, have had zero problems in 2 years and it's great offroad, but for a 6200lb truck on road on 35s it's only adequate. I plan on picking up a 13 foot travel trailer and am not looking forward to pulling the coquihalla hill at 50km/h.

I know guys with their dodge truck that can go up that highway at 100km/h with 2 quads and a 20' plus travel trailer. I know nothing about the weight differences or if I would have to up grade my whole drive train to handle the additional power and torque but I'm jealous when they whip by me on the hills.

I hope you buy a dodge and see for yourself. Maybe your cruiser is a bit slow but it will get you there much faster than walking half way after your dodge broke down.

I could be wrong... wouldnt be the 1st time... but... im pretty sure, that in order to import a diesel engine into the U.S. ECONOMICALLY, it has to be 25 years or older. Toyota could in theory import the parts to a diesel motor, and have them assembled here, but there isnt enough of a market for diesels here to make that economically feasible, at least not in half ton p/u or suv form...

The big 3 are in bed with big oil, so do the math on that....

now... also figure in that the entire northeast is heavy into "heating oil" aka "dirty diesel", whereas the rest of the world mainly uses natural gas, propane, wood, or coal....

imagine if half the vehicles in the country started running on diesel... heating fuels would go through the roof, and the gubmint would have to subsidize homeowners as well as big oil...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom