My Power Steering Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
The last few months I have started a slow leak thats a few drops a day, nothing major. It seems to get worse when I park on the driveway which is steep.

Probably a pump rebuild is in order, but I thought I would post these two pics for grins.

I did feel under the oil filter to make sure no leakage from there and I have cleaned it before so not caused by residuals from an oil change.

First thing I am going to do is go to the car wash and give it a good cleaning.
PS leak.jpg
PS leak 2.jpg

In the first pic you can see it is wet. Here is an enlargement of that area
PS leak 3.jpg

Romer, will you be taking pics of the rebuild for the visually oriented and future reference? Looking forward to the writeup since Ill be doing this soon. Thanks.

Romer, will you be taking pics of the rebuild for the visually oriented and future reference? Looking forward to the writeup since Ill be doing this soon. Thanks.

Since a rebuild or at least a replacement of the O ring is likely, I decided to test the Lucas Power Steering stop leak. The worst that can happen is it doesn't work and then I'll be rebuilding it anyways. So I hosed everything down and cleaned it up. Removed 12 oz of Power Steering fluid and replaced it with 12oz of Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. We will see how it goes.

The bottom picture is from the bottom looking up, looks like I could have cleaned that better, but I should be able to see if it leaks some more.
PS leak 4.jpg
PS leak 5.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like the rear cover o-ring leaking. The pump is easy to rebuild, I have used both the Gates brand ~$15 and dealer ~$45 kits with good results. The kits are just a shaft seal and a few o-rings.
pump_1.jpg
pump_2.jpg

It looks like the rear cover o-ring leaking. The pump is easy to rebuild, I have used both the Gates brand ~$15 and dealer ~$45 kits with good results. The kits are just a shaft seal and a few o-rings.

Thanks Kevin, I am going to call that bastid in NM to order the kit. Just thought it would be a good time to see if this stuff works. The leak isn't bad and it would probably be OK for quite a while.

See you in Moab:beer:

Thanks for the pictures

Personally, I think the "bastid in NM" would be happier if you did a complete R & R of the PS Pump. I mean all of the cool people are doing it Ken....

;p :lol: :lol:

Whats that run onur?

You mean next time the wrong stuff gets shipped to me, I won't hear Dan yelling "Gawd damn it Ed."

Ken-That would be a good spare to have. Why not buy a new pump and install. Then you know it's good. Then, rebuild the old one, so that when it goes bad on the #2 80 series, you're all set to go.

BTW-Sent in the CM stuff. Thanks for the reminder.

Good plan Andy. I'll order a new pump and let it sit on the shelf a couple of months so I can see how this stop leak does out of curiosity

Ken-That would be a good spare to have. Why not buy a new pump and install. Then you know it's good. Then, rebuild the old one, so that when it goes bad on the #2 80 series, you're all set to go.

That is exactly what I did CDrew--Bought and installed a new one and rebuilt the old one as a spare to throw into the ever growing "spare part" bin.

-o-

You mean next time the wrong stuff gets shipped to me, I won't hear Dan yelling "Gawd damn it Ed."

Ed hasn't been doing MUD parts for over a year I think. Don is the man now and he does a very good job of making sure you all get the correct parts...as do I and everyone else at the AT operation.

:cheers:

Ed hasn't been doing MUD parts for over a year I think. Don is the man now and he does a very good job of making sure you all get the correct parts...as do I and everyone else at the AT operation.

:cheers:

You guys do an awesome job. It was a joke:D

I only received the incorrect part once in all these years and Dan quickly fixed it, but thats what he yelled when I called him.:cheers:

You guys do an awesome job. It was a joke:D

I only received the incorrect part once in all these years and Dan quickly fixed it, but thats what he yelled when I called him.:cheers:

Now it's "Gawd damn it Onur" [fist flailing in the air]!

:bang:

Now it's "Gawd damn it Onur" [fist flailing in the air]!

:bang:

Dan counting to 10 slowly wondering why onur is taking time for lunch
Moab 2007 184.jpg

:lol:

Dan counting to 10 slowly wondering why onur is taking time for lunch

Which one is Dan? All Toyota parts dudes look alike.:flipoff2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom