65 FJ40 Is this option rare or ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just got back in from buying another FJ40 but the rear glass is different, I have not been around them enough to know for shure, but is this double glass a rare option, I see no signs of cutting this in.
I will post some daylight pics tomorow, because I had lady luck on my side on this trip.
65a.jpg

My 65 has the double rear glass in the upper door. It doesn't have the rear corner windows.

I think originally it only had glass on the top folding section, but a lot of owners modded the bottom folding panel to accept glass. It is retro-cool.:)

Ed

i have a 65 here that had those same corner windows . i thought someone added them no bottom window and no heater or any sign one had ever been added.and it had a snow plow must have been cold anyhow nice find

bottom window is added(by PO or someone) same with the corner window(but its slightly possible the corner windows are factory....but doubtfull

BUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mine has corner windows to, and it's a '65. It's missing one side so I bought what I thought to be regular FJ40 corner windows assuming they were retrofitted, but the glass is different!!!!! Anyone know where I can find what appears to be stock corner glass for a '65?

If the opening is smaller than that of the FJ40 it might be the glass out of an FJ45 pickup, they are smaller.

John

there is a 40 on craigslist in pheniox that has the window in the lower bifold rear hatch.

not stock.. I can't believe pimp is waivering that it could be...

If it were stock wouldn't the corner window's be inset so the glass is flush to the body and the seal only protudes slightly?

looking back at those corner windows posted above.....the angle they are installed at just doesnt look like the way Toyota would have done it. Never seen the corner window with rear bifold pictured in factory lit or parts books.......but not saying its not possible

the window in the lower part of the door is not stock but a darn good idea, seen quite a few like that

I saw a '64 or '65 FJ40 for sale on Ebay last year that had the rear corner windows in it too.Different color than this rig.I hadn't seen that before either but maybe it was an option or ......?

I just noticed that a member here bought that Ebay 40.I don't know how to link but check under 'Got a 40 finally..' here in the 40 and 55 series tech.Looks like a decent rig and the corner windows look as if they could be stock.Either way I think those old style hard tops look great.

:cheers:

Last edited:
I saw a '64 or '65 FJ40 for sale on Ebay last year that had the rear corner windows in it too.Different color than this rig.I hadn't seen that before either but maybe it was an option or ......?

I just noticed that a member here bought that Ebay 40.I don't know how to link but check under 'Got a 40 finally..' here in the 40 and 55 series tech.Looks like a decent rig and the corner windows look as if they could be stock.Either way I think those old style hard tops look great.

:cheers:

Yeah, that was me. It's missing one of the widows back there. I bought what I thought to be the right glass (FJ40) and it obviously didn't fit. Thanks for your help everyone. It's great to have a resource like this for someone that knows next to nothing about these rigs yet. :beer:

not factory. the bifold lower window has been covered numerous times. first time i've noticed people mentioning added corner window though. good to know i'm not the only one with these bastard holes. fortunately, it's only in one of my tops.
DSC03463.JPG

I have a 65 with corner windows also.

the early 40's were known to have BAD blind spots...the corner windows were added on because you can't see...a big PITA when driving and wheeling...all 45 removable top trucks had corner windows...and when you drove them (45's)...low and behold you can see...alot of people made these mods (put in corner windows)...just because you find many cruisers with SOA it doesnt make it a stock thing...its a mod that people did then.

as far as i am conerned it is an improvement to the top...unless its a hack job...as some i have seen

I don't know how you can live with that ugly thing, send it to me right away, I'll hide it for you. Hey Ige need a window for that top, my son in law has one, larry

so if all the corrigated tops with corner windows are not factory then what are the "retrofited" corner windows from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom