255/85r16 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since there is not much of a selection of tires for 18" wheels, I decided to buy 1999 16x8s and mount some 255/85R16s...

Despite many people's comments regarding the width, I much prefer this size than a 285... steering feels so much lighter than the stock tires and they fit the wheel well perfectly. No, the handling is not worse.

I'll be taking a trip next weekend and report on how well they performed off road.

stock 2004

CIMG3450.jpg

CIMG3451.jpg

Great looking truck! Those rims look sweet painted.

That's a GOOD size!

did you paint the wheels yourself or get them powdercoated?

No, I'm still waiting for somebody to give up a 16" wheel. Anyone????:D

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wheels were rattle canned by wife and myself... she loves it! She says it doesn't look like a minivan now...:doh:

what color did you use? I used rust-o-leum flat black, just need to put some tires on them now....cant decide ARB or BFG for xmas?!?

did you sand the wheels first, is the paint holding up good?????

I've been using these tires for over a year. Off-road the work very well. I've had no flats and grip fantastic. To have a smooth off road ride, air down to about 20-25 or lower. On road a little noisy. So far I've been happy. Good choice.

Last edited:
what color did you use? I used rust-o-leum flat black, just need to put some tires on them now....cant decide ARB or BFG for xmas?!?

I used Brite Touch Flat black. I had the same on my MR2 Turbo and held up great so I used it on the TLC!

did you sand the wheels first, is the paint holding up good?????

I Didn't sand them (even though the instructions said so :doh:), but I did clean them with dish washing soap and then rubbed them down with rubbing alcohol to clean them off. They're holding pretty well. But if they don't, I have some more cans waiting for them! :grinpimp:

I've been using these tires for over a year. Off-road the work very well. I've had no flats and grip fantastic. To have a smooth ride, air down to about 20-25 or lower. On road a little noisy. So far I've been happy. Good choice.

Sounds good! I know a lot of Aussies use them too with different results. I'll post up my results regarding the size and the tire next week.

Thanks for your interest!:cheers:

i sanded my wheels but i didnt rub them down in alcohol. Oh well, i used rust-o-leum automotive primer as a basecoat and RoL flat black.

Looks great! I wish they made 255/95-16 (35").

I think these are certainly a good choice. Tires in this size are LT rated, no P rated crap. Are these load E tires? Personally, I like the 285's due the the popularity of the size and availability of differnt types of tires.

You should find a used tire that measures 33" and mount it on the 18" rim. Better than nothing...

is the gap between rim and brake components very small?

cooling issues?

I think these are certainly a good choice. Tires in this size are LT rated, no P rated crap. Are these load E tires? Personally, I like the 285's due the the popularity of the size and availability of differnt types of tires.

You should find a used tire that measures 33" and mount it on the 18" rim. Better than nothing...

They are Load D. And Thanks for the used tire idea!:cheers:

is the gap between rim and brake components very small?

cooling issues?

The gap is small on the rear. No cooling issues. The 16s fit perfectly.

Ok, I have a southwest trip coming up in a few weeks. If anybody wants to sell me a 16x8 wheel, please PM me. I would love to have it for my spare. THANKS!

Search ebay for 16" Land Cruiser Wheel.

There is one for $74.99 and a bunch more for $100+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom