ACE tintable Rustoleum product (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I won't be doing that. The whole reason I want to do the roller is so I can just re-coat and wet-sand any spots that get scraped later on. Clearcoat would be a huge PITA. Think the greek just added some shine to the single stage paint.

Wet sanding is a PITA when you have orange peel like this.
103007lc002smallcq2.jpg

Here's after a whole lotta sanding with 400, then 600 grit,
103007lc005smallud4.jpg

Here's right after rolling coat #3, It's a little smoother than the first 2.
103007lc007smallxq6.jpg

The hood is a pain because of the vents, bump in the middle, and the curved parts. Rest of the 40 should go much easier.

Looks great! Did youdo the sandpaper with just hand or did you have some kind of block? I was trying to think through the vents etc myself.

Maybe thin it out with more mineral spirits for less orange peel?

Looks great! Did youdo the sandpaper with just hand or did you have some kind of block? I was trying to think through the vents etc myself.

Maybe thin it out with more mineral spirits for less orange peel?

I sanded with my hand. Using a block caused me to burn through too easily.

Thinning the mix worked great. A little bit runny, but working the roller as it dried smoothed it out and popped the bubbles.

It looks like one more sanding session, then 1 or 2 more coats, then then the final sanding/polish.

I'm heading to ACE now to get my pumpkin orange mixed up!!

Update: just got my bucket of paint. Looks perfect. Total for paint and supplies was $69.03.

Last edited:
Is there any thought to why folks are not spraying this product. Is it a lack of access to a gun and compressor? What am I missing?

I have no access to a compressor and my garage is filled with my wife's crap that will never see the inside of my house but we aren't allowed to throw it out for some reason. I'm not allowed to get paint on the crap we don't need . The roller part keeps it contained and keeps the noxious fumes and paint levels in the air to a minimum.

I was actually thinking about contacting ACE and have them follow me as I do it. Maybe I'll get rich....or get free paint.

Definitely doing pics. I'm not in a big rush so this will take a while. plenty of trial and error too I'm sure.

Some pics

Heres some random pics. Dash after 3 coats. First coat was auto paint, second was ACE without hardner, third was with hardner. Will be adding a couple more. You can see some orange peel, but thats with NO sanding yet. Will be sanding with 400 wet tonight and shooting another coat.

Gas tank cover was with 3 coats of ACE with wetlook hardner added. Thinned with Laquer thinner. (worked great)

Pass side fender was after 4 coats then 320 wet sanded. Will be adding 5th coat with hardner tonight.

Color variation was due to flash on camera...
dash.JPG
gascvr.JPG
passfndr.JPG

Last edited:
Awesome thread!! :cheers: I will be following this with keen interest. If possible, it would be great for people to start posting the mix codes up as they get them.

Then maybe jsaltlick can edit his first post with a list of the codes?:idea:

Awesome thread!! :cheers: I will be following this with keen interest. If possible, it would be great for people to start posting the mix codes up as they get them.

Then maybe jsaltlick can edit his first post with a list of the codes?:idea:

I ended up buying a can of spray paint from Tower Paint using the Pollux Orange vehicle paint code. I then sprayed some on paper and had the guy at ACE scan it in for matching. Worked well! I probably won't be painting until the end of the month.:cheers:

Great Post

Was at home depot today and asked about matching a color for some rust-o- and they said they couldn't do it. Now I will be off to my ACE store for my mix - lilly white, I think! Is thinning the paint a must. I am doing my doors and it will be my first painting job (FJ40).

Was at home depot today and asked about matching a color for some rust-o- and they said they couldn't do it. Now I will be off to my ACE store for my mix - lilly white, I think! Is thinning the paint a must. I am doing my doors and it will be my first painting job (FJ40).

Yes thinning is a must, especially with the roller method. I had to thin mine around 60-70% with mineral spirits. Spraying requires much less thinning. I did some small parts a week ago thinned around 15-20%. I will be spraying my fender aprons and bib soon.

Good Luck!

A couple of years ago I painted the bottom of my Aqualu tub with special aluminum primer that I got from Herculiner. I used a very fine nap roller from Purty and a mini roller. Everyone that looked at it thought that it was sprayed.

This is the roller or "cover" that I used, it's called a Parrot and is intended for oil based finishes and high gloss aplications:

http://www.purdycorp.com/catalog/covers/display/7/null

-Stumbaugh

Fun times,

11407029smallcj8.jpg

Ace primer, stinky stuff.
11407030smallrl9.jpg

First coat.
11407034smallli4.jpg

Looks like i've finally figured out how to spray without causing runs.

FYI Ace is having a sale tomorrow. 20% off everything you can fit in a bag.

Shot some Primer...

Got a coat of primer on the whole rig this afternoon.

Coming along nicely... Thinned with laquer thinner, it cuts drying time by a bunch!
FENDER.JPG
FENDER2.JPG
fender3.JPG

More

A couple more pics.

Will be spraying another coat tomorow, then sanding will begin. :D
fender4.JPG
fender5.JPG

I was told the ACE stuff (as well as rustoleum) is basically a self-priming paint so a primer coat is not 100% necessary. As long as it's clean it should stick. I'm sanding down my 40 now to level out some old body-filler ripples so I'll probably prime some of it. All the sites and articles I've seen haven't used primer.

I'm sure yours will come out really nice since you went through the extra effort!!

Prolly a re-post but this is one I've been learning from- http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...=1&PHPSESSID=aab68f8fe95a7508a93ec07bbb2de5a6

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom