Front Window Woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.speedracer.ca
I'm having lots of issues with the Front Driver side window.
- slow
- stuck when cold or rain
- clicking noise when window at the bottom going up

Below are the links that I read and below will be pics of what I did.

My findings:
(1)
o Took window motor apart and cleaned (small issue - check pics)
o cleaned the tracks and re greased
- Still slow and needs assistance to go up until 1/4 up then it's smooth up
- going down a bit jerky

(2)
o Took out "Glass Run"
- very noticeble jerky going up withut glass run
Notice the it slides up funny/jerky so my guess is the Glass Run is not the issue (from posts below)
It's usually the rubber tracks wearing out that causes slow windows, not the motors. Lube them for temporary relief; replace them for a permanent fix.
Search a bit and you'll see this has come up often. There's a replacement write-up in one of the threads, and maybe even in the FAQ."
And I see no other refference to rubber tracks --> I see nylon bearings. So was OEM rubber before?

(3)
o cleaned driver side window module (bost below)
- Better power but motor still seems weak

Any suggestions?
For the window motor - Any other motors I could use?
- I found 1 post regarding a 4runner window motor but no more info.

In the end I think I will be replacing the "window channel" (I think this would be scissor like arm) and I think the motor is dying and the weather stripping :( Pretty much the whole Window Assembly minus the tracks.

Motor taken apart
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=144171&highlight=power+window

How To take the Window off
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=132168&highlight=adjust+front+window
(I just found this now - would have been useful - the soapy water I might try)

Window Problem
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=169080&highlight=power+window

power window assembly cleaning
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=167322&highlight=power+window

Power Window Motor
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=179682&highlight=power+window

Power window motor lubrication
(Replace seals)
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=148643&highlight=power+window

My rattly window fix
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=36561&highlight=adjust+front+window

Last edited:
Motor taken apart - Not much to it. 2 screws hold the cover.

Warning: The cover is magnetic. It will pull the motor out when you reassem. You will need a small screwdriver to hold it in place so that it does not jump back into the cover.

To take a part the motor cover 2 philip Screws.

(Notice carbon build up - not much though to cause issues IMO)
main.php

Motor Cover, Background is the window regulator
main.php

Motor taken out
main.php

Motor Housing
main.php

Lots of carbon buildup. Cleaned off with air and then with electronic wash. No rust visible. I would suggest it's not worth the effort in taking apart.

I also took a part the gear housing (no pics) but it's pretty clean inside.

When I reassembled I had an issue, I could not use the end clips some reason. Not sure if this would cause an issue. :(
main.php

The result: Motor about the same . A bit improved but nothing great. That's why I say not worth the effort. Unless you've had water up to that section - In that case electronic wash is your friend and taking it a part would be worth while.

Last edited:
Window Controler (pretty dirty)
main.php

main.php

To clean I used electronic wash but isopropyl would work + static free cotton tip (q tip would be fine)
main.php

Cleaned
main.php

Last edited:
I forgot to mention if the lights on the window control seem dim / not working. Cleaning will do wonders as well :D

I'll be ordering some parts from CDan pretty soon - Window Regulator (makes a clunking noise and I see the crank bend a bit when going up from a full down position), new weather strippig and maybe a new motor (but I think ebay would be my other choice as I think the OEM motor is $$$).

I'm not sure what the window channel is but that seems to be the other replacement but I'm sure I'll find out.

I forgot to mention if the lights on the window control seem dim / not working. Cleaning will do wonders as well :D

I'll be ordering some parts from CDan pretty soon - Window Regulator (makes a clunking noise and I see the crank bend a bit when going up from a full down position), new weather strippig and maybe a new motor (but I think ebay would be my other choice as I think the OEM motor is $$$).

I'm not sure what the window channel is but that seems to be the other replacement but I'm sure I'll find out.

Pretty sure that was me that you quoted in your first post. By "rubber tracks" (or "channels") I mean what I guess you're calling "weather stripping": The piece of rubber that's on the sides and top of the window frame, and what the glass slides in.

Replace that first and I'll bet you'll be good as new.

For example, I'd be very surprised if you needed a new motor. Oh, and somebody posted up once about what a piece of crap non-OEM motors are, so I'd think twice before going that route.

Curtis

Speedracer,
The channels the glass sits in are called the "glass runs"
If you search with this you will find some more info.

As was mentioned already the only real fix for slow moving winter windows is the replacement of the runs. I had some success with cleaning mine with the glass removed from the door (my glass pulled away from the bracket it is pressed into, and fell into the door) while I was repairing it. You pretty well have to take the class out to clean the entire run.

Speedracer,
The channels the glass sits in are called the "glass runs"
If you search with this you will find some more info.

As was mentioned already the only real fix for slow moving winter windows is the replacement of the runs. I had some success with cleaning mine with the glass removed from the door (my glass pulled away from the bracket it is pressed into, and fell into the door) while I was repairing it. You pretty well have to take the class out to clean the entire run.

This makes total sense now. I didn't take the glass fully out and I didn't think to check the track guides (window channel). I must have been too frustrated. Taking apart the motor to clean was just frustrating to do.

It would explain the jerky movements going up and down as the glass travels along. (Don't ask why but I kept thinking the window channel was the window regulator being refered as). I kept wondering what was that all about after cleaning and regreasing the window regulator - it should be smooth as I could easily move before reinstalling.

Pretty sure that was me that you quoted in your first post. By "rubber tracks" (or "channels") I mean what I guess you're calling "weather stripping": The piece of rubber that's on the sides and top of the window frame, and what the glass slides in.

Replace that first and I'll bet you'll be good as new.

For example, I'd be very surprised if you needed a new motor. Oh, and somebody posted up once about what a piece of crap non-OEM motors are, so I'd think twice before going that route.

Curtis

What I mean was the window goes up in a jerking motion up and down (down being the smoother direction).

What I took out was the weather stripping in the window frame thinking that was causing the jerky motion. But it's still jerky so that how I came to the conclusion it was more than just the weather stripping not thinking the guides (window channel) was what was being refered as the issue - doh! :doh:

So this ENDEMIC -PITA- window thing... (has gotten stuck on me at the most rainy cold inconvenient times around toll booths and such....

anyone have a PICTURE of the window guides that get worn out?

Try Here...

Excellent post, MARLIN.

That should be exactly what speedracer et. al. are looking for.

Curtis

P.S. Cruiserdan (a lifer here) and John Hocker (contact info in the link above) have got to be about the two finest Cruiser parts guys in the world. Please all; call one of them before letting your local dealer rip you off, or before getting so discouraged that you go MadeInChinaVatozoneafermarketcrap...

I thought I was going to solve my slow window problems this past weekend. I've got the same problem window lowers fine but slow going up even worse in the cold plus rain. I finally got around to replacing the glass run on the PS door greased up the tracks and gears and absolutely NO difference it still goes up slow, it only made a difference when I pushed the bottom of the glass on its way up. The new and old glass run did not seem to have a night and day difference. I wish I knew what is causing the resistance on the upward travel of these windows.

George

I took a picture of the "Glass Run" (I incorrectly called it weather stripping which is not correct as weather striping is around the whole door not the glass). I cleaned it last night but talking to CDan I checked it again to make sure it was sitting properly.

I took it out and resprayed it with Silicon spray again. Same effect very slow up or needs a bit help

Glass Run
main.php

Glass Channel
main.php

Note: All windows seems slow

What I did next is I took the Passenger window motor out and put in the driver side.

The Window regulator I am replacing as well since it clicks so tha the update for now.

** I'll edit my post from the top since I seem to calling the parts incorrectly

Are the windows slow only when operating from the master control? Try the rear windows and passenger window from their own control switch... that is how I narrowed down my master control switch as the culprit. Simple, but you never know.

Cleaning the "glass run" "window channel" whatever you want to call it (the rubber that the window slides in) makes no difference. The rubber becomes stiff over time and cannot properly flex. If you compare old window channel to new it truly is a night and day difference. All my windows work again.

You do not have to remove the glass at all. The window channel slides pretty easily in the frames. Once the old stuff is out, clean up the metal frames with some windex followed by some soapy water and the new stuff slips right in. I did all 4 windows in 90 minutes, including being anal about cleaning/lubing eveything.

Cleaning the "glass run" "window channel" whatever you want to call it (the rubber that the window slides in) makes no difference. The rubber becomes stiff over time and cannot properly flex. If you compare old window channel to new it truly is a night and day difference. All my windows work again.

You do not have to remove the glass at all. The window channel slides pretty easily in the frames. Once the old stuff is out, clean up the metal frames with some windex followed by some soapy water and the new stuff slips right in. I did all 4 windows in 90 minutes, including being anal about cleaning/lubing eveything.

Jon, I have my driver's side front door glass run to install this weekend. In planning my time for this job, your 90 minutes for all 4 doors makes it sound like you didn't take the door panels off (or you are lightning fast :) ). Since I have never had to replace my glass run or take a door panel off, any insight you can give on this is appreciated.

-KK

I move like a cat ;)

Seriously though, the door panels pop right off after 3 screws are removed and 1 connector. I use a large flatblade screwdriver and work my way around.

After you've removed door panels as many times as I have, it gets easy. I've been chasing the slow windows for years.

Are the windows slow only when operating from the master control? Try the rear windows and passenger window from their own control switch... that is how I narrowed down my master control switch as the culprit. Simple, but you never know.

It's slow and jerky. Without the glass run also slow and jerky. If I run direct power to the motor not any different so I doubt it's the controller.

When I use the motor from the Passenger side it runs better but it's not smooth. Which leads me to think the window regulator is mucked up.

Did the same test on the passenger side and it smooth going up.

Order parts from CDan. Since I kinda want this done quick before winter sets in and my friends in the states are not home until the end of the week... I hope UPS doesn't rape me when it gets here after :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom