ACE tintable Rustoleum product (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

40Flipper

Master of Nothing
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.rinnadvisors.com
Went to ACE Hardware today to check out the Rustoleum colors to paint my 40. They had ACE "Rust Stop" brand tintable base quarts that they said they can custom color match anything and it's the same as Rustoleum. The guy said to bring in a paint chip the size of a dime and they can match anything.

Has anyone tried the roller method with this stuff? Would it hold up as good as Rustoleum? Is it actually Rustoleum with a different name on it (like most generics?)

If so, my 40 will be Toyota mustard yellow by december.

If it an oil base paint it's pretty much the same as Rustoleum and should roll on the same way.

it is the oil base paint. Think a red pigment would hold up??

(great avatar, I have #2 on the way myself)

Thanks for the tip!

I went to Ace today with an ambulance door hinge and now have a gallon of smurf blue. Read the label when I got home and it says not to use it on automobiles, roof, exterior house, and prolonged contact with water. That has me a little worried. But the label also says to use it on machinery and farm equipment so what the fudge? I'll still use it, just want to get a few years out of it untill I can afford a real resto. I'm gonna let the paint sit a few weeks for all the bubbles to dissipate, then I'll attempt to roll my hood.

Thanks for the tip!

I went to Ace today with an ambulance door hinge and now have a gallon of smurf blue. Read the label when I got home and it says not to use it on automobiles, roof, exterior house, and prolonged contact with water. That has me a little worried. But the label also says to use it on machinery and farm equipment so what the fudge? I'll still use it, just want to get a few years out of it untill I can afford a real resto. I'm gonna let the paint sit a few weeks for all the bubbles to dissipate, then I'll attempt to roll my hood.

I'm thinking it says not to use on autos due to quality/finish where as a rougher quality/finish would be OK on machinery....

mineral spirits is the best thinner. Really helps self level.

The deeper colours will probably fade. But can be buffed right back up again.

I think it's great paint. I used the Tremclad brand on my 60.

I'm thinking it says not to use on autos due to quality/finish where as a rougher quality/finish would be OK on machinery....

I would assume that they think you won't be wet sanding. They probably put that on so the morons that roll it on with no inentions of sanding won't sue them to have their cars repainted.

Anyone know where I can get a swatch of the mustard yello paint so they can scan it in to match? ACE said they can't do the paint using auto paint codes and they need to scan the actual color.

Like I posted in the thread in the 40 section: I'll loan you a mustard kick vent if you can give me the mixing "recipe" when yer done. PM me your address and I'll send it out. Or go visit Ian from YT in your neighborhood and ask to borrow something from him. He recently had his 40 repainted yellow.

Nick

Does Ian have a screenname on MUD?

I'll prolly take you up on the kick vent. I want to be 100% sure on the mustard before I put anyone through the trouble.
Thanks for the offer!!!!

I just purchased a quart of 653 Olive color of this paint.

This stuff really lays down nice, does NOT run, and the color is DEAD ON. I am SOOO happy I found this thread!!! woot!

I used a devilbiss gun, and mineral spirits. Shot VERY nicely with about a 5-1 ratio of thinner.

Did you just give him the Toyota paint code???!!!! The guy at my ACE store said he couldn't do it off the factory paint codes and needed to scan.

Post pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does Ian have a screenname on MUD?

I'll prolly take you up on the kick vent. I want to be 100% sure on the mustard before I put anyone through the trouble.
Thanks for the offer!!!!

landcru79 I think. Randy (82 cruiser) might have a current email for him. You might also check with Tedd at Cruiser Solutions too.

Nick

The code for the ACE Rust Stop Paint for OLIVE 653 is

Ingredient | Formula
AXX | 0 18 1
C | 0 25 0
L | 2 16 1

This is how it appears on the side of the can. And no they do not use Auto color codes. I used a color chip and they used the laser spectrometer and created the paint. The color is DEAD ON tho. I sprayed it on next to a area that I shot with Automotive paint at $50.00 a quart using the 653 code. After drying I could not see any color variation. Amazing. And this stuff does not run. Very high solids. I will be shooting clear over it as well.
paint.jpg

Last edited:
Love to see some before and after pics when you're done!

I ordered custom spray cans of Pumpkin orange today from Tower Paint. Gonna try that out along with the roller method (ACE's Rust Stop) on my M101 before I try it on the 40. Gonna scan and match the Tower spray can color at ACE for the other stuff. Figger I can screw the trailer up a bit and it won't really matter. Trying wet-sanding too.

I rolled two coats onto my hood today. I thinned it 50/50 and it still went on pretty thick. Looked pretty orange peely especially on the sides, Hopefully it'll level off some when it dries. I predict a lot of wet sanding in my future. Didn't have my camera with me, I'll take some pics later.

OK,

I shot my third and fourth coat but I added some "wet look" hardner. HOLY TOLEDO!!! Man it lays down nice.

The hardner I used is fully compatible and shines it up very nicely. heres a pic... May not even need to shoot clear...
can.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom