Farmall Model A Rebuild Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry I don't have before pictures, but this is what the guy has done so far.

This tractor was completely disassembled nearly ten years ago then left in a pasture for about 8 years. I got it back 2 years ago and took it to a gentleman that specializes in restore old tractors.

He just had one statement when it arrived on the trailer, "The only thing that would make this tractor feasible to save would be if it is sentimental."

I had grown up on this tractor, I don't know how many days I would go out and climb up on this thing and spend all day plowing, mowing, putting out hay or hauling firewood or post.

tractor 2a.JPG

tractor 2a.JPG

can't figure out how some of these guys put such large pictures on, the older man that is doing the work isn't big on digital stuff so these are the only pics i've got.

hopefully i'll get some more later

tractor 1b.JPG

tractor 2b.JPG
tractor 1b.JPG
tractor 2b.JPG

Awesome classic.....:cool:

What year, engine.... Oh and how much do you have tied up in your nostalgia?

serial number was trashed pretty good, but mr. parmly looked up what he could and said it is between a 52-54 model. four cyl engine.

it hasn't cost me a dime yet, and you can see in the picture the grey area around the engine block. the engine wasn't painted because it is coming off for a total rebuild. it may take another several months to finish that and have it running. then i'll be going down to texas and picking it up. i'll pay for it then. but it still won't cost much, mr. parmly is doing this as a favor + parts cost.

So GREAT!!

That's not a Farmall Model G? I'm thinking that the model A has a front radiator and grill, but could be completely off base. Tractors are a new hobby/tool for me.

So far I'm being tempted to buy one of the Farmalls for a project because they have such a neat tractor look to them. I've got two tractors but both are new and not fun as far as tearing down and building back.

yeah -

i guess i should have stated, that is not the whole tractor. it is a model a, and it is missing radiator, grill, tank, and a bunch of other stuff. it is all getting sand blasted and painted as well.

Love it!!!

You gonna wheel it?

Here is good used parts source for vintage tractor parts ---> http://www.gaptractor.com/ I've bought a s*** load of stuff from them in the past.... there are located in Cranfills Gap TX.... west of Waco about 50 miles.......here's a copy off a decal my uncle has on his truck :lol: hes a Farmall collector/nut.....
farmall copy.jpg

Love it!!!

You gonna wheel it?

i have in the past, after all this i might not even plow with it.

Here is good used parts source for vintage tractor parts ---> http://www.gaptractor.com/ I've bought a s*** load of stuff from them in the past.... there are located in Cranfills Gap TX.... west of Waco about 50 miles.......here's a copy off a decal my uncle has on his truck :lol: hes a Farmall collector/nut.....

thanks for the source on parts, mr. parmley has found most everything i guess.

that's an awesome link. i love going to antique tractor shows and watching the old stuff work. and my kids love it, too.

there was a group of old men when i was a kid that harvested sugar cane and made syrup with nothing but mule drawn equipment. the elementary school would take the 1st - 5th grades out to watch. each grade got one whole day. we helped cut, load, mash, cook and can real cane syrup. wow was it a blast.

There a antique farm event every year not far from you outside of Gainsville Tx.... they also have the mule powered cane press along with vintage tractor pull and such.....

My grandfather just gave me his '50 Farmall Super A. From what I understand its the same as the 'A' model, just with basic hydraulics.

It is complete, runs and most everything works. Has gotten run for 2-10 days a year for the last 20 or so years.

I would love some more pictures of your tractor and some information on where the parts are coming from, etc.

Any good farmall resources on the web?

The IH/Farmall Super A was an improved version of the A. The biggest change was that the previous Lift-All system was replaced with the new Touch Control hydraulic system. This was in response to the Ferguson three-point system used by Ford.

serial number was trashed pretty good, but mr. parmly looked up what he could and said it is between a 52-54 model. four cyl engine.

If you can make out the #s heres a list...... 1947:250001 1948:250082 1949:268196 1950:281269 1951:300126 1952:324470 1953: 336880 1954:353348

My grandfather just gave me his '50 Farmall Super A. From what I understand its the same as the 'A' model, just with basic hydraulics.

It is complete, runs and most everything works. Has gotten run for 2-10 days a year for the last 20 or so years.

I would love some more pictures of your tractor and some information on where the parts are coming from, etc.

Any good farmall resources on the web?

yeah what grant said, plus the super a and super h set up higher ( i think )

it will be spring or summer before i go back to east texas, but i will see if mr. parmely will give up some of his sources on parts.

before he told me he had parts or source for parts i just got on ebay and started looking, at that time i was finding hundreds of parts, emblems, decals. they are probably more exspensive on ebay but it might not be bad if you just need a few parts.

If you can make out the #s heres a list...... 1947:250001 1948:250082 1949:268196 1950:281269 1951:300126 1952:324470 1953: 336880 1954:353348

from what i remember seeing it would have to be a 52 just by default, according to those numbers.

that's not really that old for a farmall but this tractor was used hard for the first thirty years it was around. i remember when we where kids stacking tractor weights and sacks of feed on the front to keep the wheels down so my grandpa could pull a house. it was a small house but it kinda gives you an idea of the workload this thing went through.

it still ran when my grandpa died, and an aunt just had to have the tractor. she more or less used it for yard decoration for several years. then my older brother got it and decided to rebuild it. he tore it down and left it setting in an open field for several years. one day i got a call and he said he had it loaded on a trailer and was going to dump it at my house or the scrap yard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom