60 vs 62 steering box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
in doing power steering conversion on fj55, plan on using 60 type conversion. will a box off 62 be same?
thanks for any help or suggestions

I believe bolt patterns are different. Bolt patterns are the same for the fj62 and 80series and both are inerchange able to a degree. The 80 series has a much beefier pitman arm.

I think the latter 60s(85+) and the 62 and the 80 are the same.

yep early FJ60's bolt pattern is different than the later Fj60/62/80 series box.

Other than that they are very similar..

if I remember, there were 2 different early 60 boxes to boot.

Mace said:
yep early FJ60's bolt pattern is different than the later Fj60/62/80 series box.

Other than that they are very similar..

Did you happen to remember what 60 box will fit on a 88 62? I really want to get rid of this $$$$$$$$ 62 box:).

85-87 I believe.

I have an 80 series box in my 62 series frame.

No it is not, this is for a FJ55 conversion.

Gear ratios are different between FJ60 and FJ62, with the FJ62 being more desireable ... in Toyota's opinion.

Partial Hijack--

So are you guys saying a 62 box would work as a spare on an 80? This is not a hypothetical question, there is one I am considering buying. If the bolt holes line up, and the input spline is the same, that would be great. If you know the answer, please post up.

Lowtide-it sounds like you might have the answer!

Partial Hijack--

So are you guys saying a 62 box would work as a spare on an 80? This is not a hypothetical question, there is one I am considering buying. If the bolt holes line up, and the input spline is the same, that would be great. If you know the answer, please post up.

:eek:I really want to get rid of the $$$$ 62 box.

Partial Hijack--

I have a 92 80series steering box on my fj62 frame I use it on my trail rig.

Everything swapped right over. I had to pull the pitman arms off the boxes because the 60 series box's have a drop arm.

The only thing that bugs me about the early 80 series box's is that the worm shaft usually leak.

Come to think of it. I have a 62 series box in use in the 68 series hybrid....So yep its doable.

Gear ratios are different between FJ60 and FJ62, with the FJ62 being more desireable ... in Toyota's opinion.

Wait does one box turn faster than the others or something? I had an early 60 box on my FJ55 (according to Marv Specter- I wouldn't know) and it was great, but it shure took a lot of armwork whipping that wheel from lock to lock... about 4 turns I think. I guess a smaller steering wheel might have helped, but I liked my stock one.

The drop arm on the 60/62 series boxes are sweeeat for using on an fj55.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom