Sheila's evisceration and birth of an HJ62 -> Tofudebeest (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Many thanks go to Al & Wes for their two-day wrench-a-thon with me and also to Deo for his willingness to lend a hand when his ass coulda advanced his own project towards completion. Without their work I would still be looking at a 3/4 gutted 62 and an out of commission HJ60. Amazing what about 10 hours of elbow grease can do... :cheers:

P1010013.jpg

P1010012.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010008.jpg

P1010007.jpg

P1010006.jpg

P1010005.jpg

P1010004.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010048.jpg

P1010047.jpg

P1010046.jpg

P1010045.jpg

P1010044.jpg

P1010043.jpg

P1010042.jpg

P1010041.jpg

I have no association with this guy or his extreme close ups.:flipoff2:

I wish you would have got a picture of the 3fe totally in the radio flyer... It would have been good documentation of the worlds most powerful toy wagon.

We were cracking up pretty hard on that one.

When I'm further along I will post up a list of what is for sale. I don't want to keep track, so don't reserve any parts yet. If you help me wrench, you reserve the right to claim parts in advance.

Note the 2H motor mounts. The photos clearly show that it is adjustable and we moved it to the forward position. The other side was already in the forward position. On the relocated one, the front two bolts were about 4mm too long because those bolt holes are shallower, so I used some fat washers. So, at least for THIS '82 2H and a 8/88 62, the motor frame mounts were in perfect position, though we did have to use the 62's mounts. Of course, the crossmember needs to be welded or new holes drilled and tapped for its new, forward position to support he H55F and transfercase.

Anyone got an imaginative use for the hole where the automatic gear shifter used to be? I can fab a cover but wonder if something else might work there.

Last edited:
Anyone got an imaginative use for the hole where the automatic gear shifter used to be?

How about a contraband drop point?

Lemme know when you want me to "learn ya" on rebuilding the xfer case.

Keep up the good work, I am looking forward to ONF Nov 10th.

i fully applaud your use of carabiners and the Little Red Wagon. i'm concerned that you've reached the load limit of the little wagon though...

I love the lack of words!! I would love to have a RHD car thoough, I can't believe you pulled it from there...Was there anything seriously wrong with Sheila?

-Kiel-

I love the lack of words!! I would love to have a RHD car thoough, I can't believe you pulled it from there...Was there anything seriously wrong with Sheila?

-Kiel-

his body was getting pretty rotten in the top half.....

Looking good. 10hrs is a good amount of time with helpers.

I posted many months back with lots of photos of the extensive roof and A pilar rust. There was a little back end frame rust and some belly rust too, but not too bad. It was the roof and the fact that the VIN had *issues* because the importer skipped a step and failed to obtain form HS-7 from U.S. Customs (to save himself a couple of hundred bucks), so it was technically illegal, though eligible for legal entry, and she was registered, titled and insured in FL. But now, it will be registered as an FJ62 and I won't have any more dreams of her getting seized and crushed.

When I am done with this swap, I will have some fun demolishing Sheila's body. I'll take some pictures when I do...

Any naming suggestions for the new ride? "Sheila" is the generic term for a woman in Oz, and coincidentally has been the name of my fictitious mistress (my wife's is "Raul") for over a decade, so the name just came naturally. I can't carry the name over to the new rig, and I am drawing a blank for ideas...

As for that little red wagon, well... it is now in need of some "body work". The wife and kids were less than enthralled by its new shape. It's weight rating is 250 lbs. :eek: We easily loaded four times that amount (possibly 5), and all that happened was some VERY flat tires and the front and back rails were bent down. It'll be fixable. (That's my story to the wife...)

As for the carabiner, the one used is a Petzl Am'D (aluminum). The Working Load Limit (the point where 50% of tested units snap) is 28 kN long axis, 8 kN open gate, 7 kN short axis. As you can see from the pictures, the long axis (of course) is the one used. 28kN is 6294 lbs. :eek: so it could suspend the entire vehicle, but that chain is difficult to get numbers for. The best I can figure, it has a limit of ~ 2500 lbs., so we were probably safe.

Last edited:
I posted many months back with lots of photos of the extensive roof and A pilar rust. There was a little back end frame rust and some belly rust too, but not too bad. It was the roof and the fact that the VIN had *issues* because the importer skipped a step and failed to obtain form HS-7 from U.S. Customs (to save himself a couple of hunder bucks), so it was technically illegal, though eligible for legal entry, and she was registered, titled and insured in FL. But now, it will be registered as an FJ62 and I won't have any dreams of her getting seized and crushed.

When I am done with this swap, I will have some fun demolishing Sheila's body. I'll take some pictures when I do...

Any naming suggestions for the new ride? "Sheila" is the generic term for a woman in Oz, and coincidentally has been the name of my fictitious mistress (my wife's is "Raul") for over a decade, so the name just came naturally. I can't carry the name over to the new rig, and I am drawing a blank for ideas...

As for that little red wagon, well... it is now in need of some "body work". The wife and kids were less than enthralled by its new shape. It's weight rating is 250 lbs. :eek: We easily loaded four times that amount (possibly 5), and all that happened was some VERY flat tires and the front and back rails were bent down. It'll be fixable. (That's my story to the wife...)

As for the carabiner, the one used is a Petzl Am'D (aluminum). The Working Load Limit (the point where 50% of tested units snap) is 28 kN long axis, 8 kN open gate, 7 kN short axis. As you can see from the pictures, the long axis (of course) is the one used. 28kN is 6294 lbs. :eek:, but that chain is difficult to get numbers fo. The best I can figure, it has a limit of ~ 2500 lbs., so we were probably safe.

Meh I used the same chain for removing my engine...twice.

As for a name....how about.

hj62 hippie mobile:flipoff2:
hj62 vegan vegetable oil burner:flipoff2:

As for a name....how about.

hj62 hippie mobile:flipoff2: MEH
hj62 vegan vegetable oil burner:flipoff2:Meh, Meh.

How about Tofudebeest (tofu being made of soy beans, as is most biodiesel)?

edit: I like it and am going with it...I just PM'd Woody and asked him to change my member name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom