Transfer Case Leak help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My FJ60 has leak in the rear of the transfer case. I think I have narrowed the source down to the speedometer cable/gear or the hole where the idler shaft exits the rear of the transfer case. I believe an o-ring seals off the idler shaft at this point. My question is it possible to replace this o-ring without removing and dismantling the transfer case.

Thanks

Yes, the rear O ring on the idler shaft can be replaced (with out disassembling the xfer)

- - - BUT - - - BUT - - - BUT - - -

Be Very Careful, only slide the shaft out 'just' enough to get to the O ring AND NO FURTHER.

two cat hairs further and the other end comes out of it's 'pocket'; shims at that end can slip and you may never line up the shims/shaft/pocket...time to R&R . . .

and make sure, once shaft back in place, that 'keeper' and bolt is correctly tightened....
. . .there's been more than one case of bolt vibes out, shaft backs out and grrrrrinnnndddd....

I just did that last night... It was pretty easy. The O rings were dried out and leaking.

I pulled the shaft out too far. I was taking it easy just trying to get it out just far enough, but it just slipped out in one shot and the far side thrust washer slipped out. So, after thinking *oh crap* for 5 minutes, I pulled out the shaft entirely and took the PTO cover off, and looked in down through the shaft bore to see the far side thrust washer hanging down. The little tang that keeps the thrust washer from turning was keeping it in relative alignment. So I put some wheel bearing grease on the thrust washer, and pushed it back into alignment with a screwdriver, and the grease stuck it there long enough to slip the shaft back in. I would say that you should only try this if you can afford to dismantle the T case if it doesn't work out. It took me 45 minutes including refilling the T case and tranny (h55f drains out into the T case when you pull the shaft). Now the T case is super dry.

Thank you folks ;) , what if I take the PTO cover off and assist the idler arm backward sliding process to make sure it does not go too far, would that help?

Thanks again, Edgard.

Thank you folks ;) , what if I take the PTO cover off and assist the idler arm backward sliding process to make sure it does not go too far, would that help?

Thanks again, Edgard.

You will have to remove the cover to get at the cluster gear to support it so you can slide the shaft back in. You can't see the idler shaft from the side. Oh yeah, get a big drain pan, when you drop the T case oil with the shaft pulled, you will get about 7 litres of gear oil draining out (T case and trans!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom