New shoes for my FJC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mtbcoach

Threads
Finally ponied up for some new shoes for my FJC. Went through Discount Tires to get some SS TrXus Mud Radial in 255/85/16's. I'm happy with this tire and size combo since it fits well on the FJC and has the reputation of being a strong tire with good traction qualities. Here are a couple pics...

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg

I agree, very nice!!!

nice let me know how you like those tires, they will likely be my next set.

So far, so good but only had them on for a day or so. I plan on getting them muddy this weekend and I'll follow up with some feedback that is more important than just how they look.

They did balance fine, added very little road noise and drove fine at freeway speeds. Seem to notice the stiffer sidewalls but it could also be that I have a bit more pressure in them than my take-offs.

I've had my SSs on now since Thurs and after Cullowhee I'm way sold!
Even though I still have no TRAC Bonnie did so much better in the mud I was astonished. We had one mudhole that was a pretty good climb out of and I think Bonnie did as well as anyone, better than most; even without traction control. Several other times when others were slithering around up hills I just locked and rocked. I'm sure you'll be very pleased.
Since I'm running 17s I had to get the LTBs but I'm satisfied. The run home on the Interstate was comfy. Going up on the mtn roads felt safe, albeit a bit skatey. The bias tires are a little shaky until they finally warm up but after that they drive almost as smooth as my street tires. Not much rock at Cullowhee but you'll be even better on it with radials than with the bias tires. Plus you've got that sick sidewall pattern.
BTW no interference at all with the body mounts, my 34/10.5/17 are about the same size as your 255/85/16s.
Lets try 'em out side by side when URE opens back up. April?
Enjoy.
b

I'm bummed I missed the run this past weekend. I already had some commitments that I couldn't back out of. I hope to get out before URE opens Apr 1 but then for sure. The pics look great from the last run, looks like Bonnie did great.

The shoes are looking good.

This is chrsmall from FJCforums by the way. I just got a ship date on my OME suspension by the way. Can't wait to get it on.

Very nice Jerry. I was looking at those as well. Now you'll have to try a harder line going up Daniel at URE. :D

Last edited:
I'm bummed I missed the run this past weekend. I already had some commitments that I couldn't back out of. I hope to get out before URE opens Apr 1 but then for sure. The pics look great from the last run, looks like Bonnie did great.

We should be going to Gulches in Laurens SC in March, should be a great try-out for you. Lots of man-made challenges. Nothing that doesn't have work-arounds though.
I hear the competition rock crawler guys go there to try out stuff.
b

I agree, that was part of the plan...one less excuse to take the easy way.

We'll have to try Kodak this time. Maybe I can get TRAC back on by then, might even have my Demello and winch if I get off my A$$ and get it ordered.
b

We'll have to try Kodak this time. Maybe I can get TRAC back on by then, might even have my Demello and winch if I get off my A$$ and get it ordered.
b

I want to be there for that! :grinpimp:

b

Give Jason (Demello) a call to see if he has a bumper ready to ship. He can get one to you pretty quick if all he has to do is send it for powder coat. If you want to just rattle can paint it, you may be able to get one sooner.

re-Kodak...don't know if I have the ground clearance (or skids) to go straight up like the "big dogs" do but the line on the left, near the trees I can see giving an honest shot. :beer:

How about a follow up on these tires. I am looking to purchase these myself for a 90% daily driver 10% weekend wheeler. Any problem with balancing after wheeling? From what I have read, they are just the ticket. Priced right to. $156 a tire shipped from 4 wheel parts.

Jeremy

i just picked up a set for the 80 and love em! Have a bit of shake after the first wheelin trip and i havent taken em back to be balanced yet, but the traction is awesome and they are nowhere near as loud as the MTR's. Id definately recommend them for a dd mud terrain or a wheelin only set of radials.

How about a follow up on these tires. I am looking to purchase these myself for a 90% daily driver 10% weekend wheeler. Any problem with balancing after wheeling? From what I have read, they are just the ticket. Priced right to. $156 a tire shipped from 4 wheel parts.

Jeremy

I was asked the same on another board and happen to have some pics after ~10k miles, driving from NC to Moab/Ouray for the FJCruiserSummit event. They worked great and I still have no regrets in buying them. I got mine from Discount Tire and opted for the optional "no questions warranty" knowing I would wheel them and if I threw a lug or cut a sidewall, I get a new one without debate.

Here are some pics of the what the tread looks like after 10k and some pretty serious wheel'n...

IMG_7091.jpg

IMG_7092.jpg

IMG_7093.jpg

IMG_7094.jpg

IMG_7095.jpg

Pic of spare that I rotated out just before the 4500 mile trip...
IMG_7098.jpg

Discount tire doesn't have swampers on there website. Do they sell them at every location? What location did you go to? They still look awesome after 10K miles. I think these are the tires I am going to go with.

Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom