Washing Machine Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If you don't want to read a bunch of rant on a POS American made product, skip this post.

I am at my ends with this POS Maytag. After listening to all the advise and reading all the useless reports, I'm buying an import the next time around.

I have a Maytag washer that is not putting out cold water in the wash cycle regardless of the water temperature selector. The funny thing is, the cold water comes out fine in the rinse cycle when selected. I've already changed out the water valves and the water temperature selector switch and the only thing left is the temperature controller computer. HOW THE F*** DOES THE COMPUTER GOES OUT ON A 8 YO WASHER? (MTBF of an electronic parts should be way longer than 8 years) I'm not changing out any more parts on this POS on a lousy guess that the POS maker can't build the parts correctly. It used to be American appliance were the best in the world - I guess that only applies to the mechanical parts. As these appliance have more electronic parts, I've had more trouble with the newer American fridge/oven/and washer with electronics than the old all-mechnical ones.

POS. I'm buying a LG the next time around. Might explain why I drive a LC and a Tundra instead of a FORD or GM...

I have one of the newfangled LG front loader high efficiency ones.

It keeps water down under the drum and smells bad after letting it sit for a day or two. Annoying. None of them are perfect. :flipoff2: :D

I wouldn't go with LG.

Really? That is an design issue not a crappy manufacture issue. All my appliance - American made at that - Washer, microwave/hood, range, oven - none made it to 10 years without something major breaking.

I am really dissapointed in these products.

I wouldn't go with LG.

I would probably buy a Chinese one when they start selling them here. They will probably cost less than 1/2 of a American made product, but onll last 5 years. WHen it breaks, I'll just throw it out and buy a new one, much like what we do now with microwave and DVD players.

Why pay more when it's still made junky (much like the American made cars).

When I was at Lowes, the appliance guy there told me not to get GE, they are made in China.

I have a Maytag and it is close to 15 years old. The only problem it ever had was the pully comming off the bottom of the drum. We were living in an apartment while our house was being built and it broke at 2:00 AM. I got my hammer and beat it back on while my wife was yelling at me about waking the neighbors :)

I was thinking about getting one of the new front load setups. I was at Best Buy and the guy there told me the story about Maytag. Some of the Neptune series were built by another company. They had so many problems, it bankrupted the company. I think Whirlpool bought them out.

If I was going to get a new washer today, I would probably narrow my choices between Samsung, Kitchen Aid, and Bosch. I think I will see how long my curent Maytags will go.

We've had LG for a while and have no complaints. Biggest complaint from others seems to be noise and vibrations, both of which are non-existent if the machines are leveled properly. Read the manual and enjoy.

Front loading is the way to go. We bought new a new GE set when we moved in here 3 years ago. I love the way the washer works, but I have already had to replace the controller. In it's defense it was one of the cheaper machines at a time when the front loader was just getting big on the market. Unfortunately these days if you don't spend top dollar, you can just consider it disposable.

-Spike

Got a Maytag washer and dryer set 30 years ago when the wife and I got married, Harvest Gold, still runs perfect, have repaired and replaced parts over the years, raised 3 kids with it, now I am just seeing which one of us will go first, me or the appliances, the wife gave up a long time ago trying to get new ones:cool:

Got a Maytag washer and dryer set 30 years ago when the wife and I got married, Harvest Gold, still runs perfect, have repaired and replaced parts over the years, raised 3 kids with it, now I am just seeing which one of us will go first, me or the appliances, the wife gave up a long time ago trying to get new ones:cool:
The major diff in the longevity of the older units is their lack of circuit boards. If ya want one that lasts, shy away from the latest gizmos and stick w/ old-fashioned but simpler electronics.
I learned alot after searching for the fix on my GE washer's transmission. Now that is one POS for sure! The local charity org in my old town wouldn't even take GE's in as a DONATION, cause 10 outta 10 times, it was the trans that went out on a brand new looking washer.

Update: I opened up the back of the washing machine and found an electrical diagram. After tracing all of the switches and wires, I concluded that it was the POS temperature control board.

Changed the POS temperature controller board out and now it works like a charm.

PS: Next time, I'm buying a Chinese made washing machine with lead-based paint from Walmart for $50, which is cheaper than the POS temperature controler board cost me from Maytag. If I have more time than money, I could have reverse engineered that logic board and build one myself that would outlast nuclear winter.

Rant off.

You got one of those old Maytags that were reliable and what made Maytag famous for reliability. All of the newer Maytags (owned by Whirlpool) appliances are not any more reliable than any other brand.

I think the "Calypso" washer with the erotic up and down wash plate (apparently now discontinued - but similar to the very old Philco units) AND an extractor are the way to go for bulletproof washing.
I just noticed that my 3 year old Whirlpool front loader is putting in a lot of hot water on the COLD/COLD cycle ...PITA...

I have a pair of maytags now going on 15 years old. The Washing machine is beginning to leak a little water but it's not consistent so I cant find where the damned thing is leaking at. Other than that, no problems at all but, my wife is beginning to drop hints about the new front loads. damned, 1500 bux for a new set? I don't think I paid that for all of the appliances I put in the house when I bought it in early 93......

I learned alot after searching for the fix on my GE washer's transmission. Now that is one POS for sure
... yessiree the GE transmission is a real piece of work... my great revelation to this particular mechanical abortion was wandering into my laundry room in time to discover both the agitator AND drum (top loader) were cranking around at about 1500 rpms ... in the same direction ... with water being thrown over the top of drum and down onto the floor... while the pump thought it was still in the wash cycle!!!

Calypso washers are the BIGGEST POS in the universe. Class action lawsuit bad. Of course, we had just few enough repairs to keep us out of the protected class. Some wedding present! I think they've been repaired 3-4 times to the tune of $150+ each time. Bought expensive warranty. Machine broke again last week. It won't fill. We're on the verge of pitching this POS out into the street.

If you want a good laugh, Google "calypso washer".

I'd really like to to fix it myself until we can get a Bosch set.

Calypso washers are the BIGGEST POS in the universe. Class action lawsuit bad
... I am very sorry to learn that! My sister in law has had one for 3 years with no problems at all... and she beats the hell out of it washing carpets.....I believe you though which makes it more confusing ... what to buy what to buy??? I know folks with Miele and Akso who aren't too happy with repair costs...Bosch appliances? I admit to having zero experience experience or knowledge about them

Just read the "Class action law suit" documents ....I guess I better withdraw my opinion on Calypso....funny cause about a decade ago I was speaking with a guy who ran a laundramat and was complaining that nobody had come out with a machine as strong or as effective as the old Philco's he had in his first laundramats .. they used the same "up and down" plate motion.. operating on a crankshaft...he claimed they were the most bulletproof machine he had operated ...

Last edited:
Yep. I am going to begrudgingly fix the Calypso washer yet again and sell the set on EBay. Bosch Nexxt 500 is what I will replace the Kenmore Calypsos with. Found a screaming deal on one in scratch and dent section and am not gonna pass it up. The key with anything mechanical now is to warranty the F out of it and hope you get 5-6 years of use then get a replacement. Kinda like a car........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom