New importing info (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.rocklogic.biz
Well, it finally happened, finally found someone who is willing to spend the big bucks and legally import a 1994 HZJ75 troopy through an ICI with emissions testing and all. I found an ICI in Miami willing to do it, but I learned something new, and not good. She agrees with me that the truck most likely would pass emissions testing, but she said that is not what keeps a diesel from being legal here, she said it is the deterioration factor. After testing, she is required to take those numbers and multiply them by a factor provided by the EPA to show deterioration in emissions quality over 50,000 miles or 5 years. She said this is where the diesels fail. She had a '92 Spain spec'd LJ7x in her bond lot that they did not test because they figured by looking at EU standards for 1992 that it would not meet the 5yr/50,000 deterioration standards. But since the ICI has never actually tested one to find out, I am hoping my guy decides to chance it. He will only have the cost of the emisisons testing and shipping to have to recoup (less than $10k) if forced to sell it for export (the truck was a gift to him) if the emissions thing comes back as bad, so he would not be out any money. Anyway, I will keep you all informed.

Good luck. Please keep us informed.

TB

okay, update, the spanish spec'd one was an 80s vintage and they came up with the idea of retrofitting it with an EGR but the customer did not want to go to the expense so the vehicle was never modified and never tested.

they are checking into whether or not the EGR system would be enough for the 1HZ to pass the deterioration factor and we'll know tomorrow.

NOW, i asked the ICI about filing a cert instead of just doing the MOD testing even though it is old enough that a cert is not required, the reason being wanting to bringin a total of three with only one having to be tested. she is not sure if the EPA will allow that because as a vehicle older than 6 years only 50,000mi/5 yr deterioiration has to be proved where as with newer vehicles it is 100,000mi/10 yr and they may not want a cert on a vehicle that only has to prove itself to the lower standard. my thought of course was openning the gate for two more of the same model and same year to be able to come in. however, MOD testing is only about $2000 where as the testing for the cert involves cold and 48 hour testing, much more expensive. so the ICI and i need to figure out if it would be more cost effective to simply MOD test each one that came in or do the cert. but, on that same token, once a cert is filed and three vehicles come in under that one cert and the next one to come in has to be tested again, that next one only has to go through the MOD test, not the big whole testing for the original cert. so, if more than three total were to come in then going for the cert would be the way to go. of course, then next problem, coming up with enough 1994 HZJ75 troopies that are left hand drive for importation and finding buyers for them....

anyway, more updates when i know more.....

Once again, good luck.

TB

Awesome alex :cheers:

Lhd hzj75.. NL, BE, FR, DE... I usually see a more than a few for sale.

Would that work for a 75 pickup instead of a troopy?

very interesting - could you not use the 94 results to get in newer versions of the same model by demonstrating a lack of modifications?

Also, aren't diesel formulations in Europe different, meaning that their domestic emission results may not correspond to how the vehicle would emit with North American diesel?

Importing from NZ

I am trying to be patient as i await the arrival of the cruiser I bought from New Zealand .The cruiser has been in Baltimore since last Friday. The trucker tried to pick it up to deliver it to me in Ct and they cannot find the cruiser,THE PROBLEM TO WATCH OUT FOR : is this NZ assigns their own vin # to inported cars ,does not use Toyota vinso the Balto yard was looking for a 2007 land cruiser according to the NZ vin that began with a 7[7A8H60H0705001991 ]and not looking for BJ42001991.Moral, Use toyota assigned vin when importing from NZ.BTW , my cruiser should be here by tomorrow ,so they tell me .Cant wait to hear about the extra charges they will want to discuss???

Hey Joe, please make a thread and explain all your importing experiences in this diesel section.

Cheers!

Just read over at the EPA site (http://www.epa.gov/otaq/imports/canadian/canlis95.htm) that "All 1988-1995 Canadian automobiles (gasoline or diesel fueled), light-duty trucks (gasoline or diesel fueled) and heavy-duty gasoline fueled engines are considered by EPA to conform with U.S. emission requirements."

Kinda interesting that a diesel cruiser from NZ in the same range wouldn't meet the same requirements.

diesl land cruisers sold in canada stopped in 1988...

also diesel land cruisers are Japanese origin and not Canadian built hence the section that asks "country of origin" to put "Canada" in that box is fraudulant even though there are some Canadians selling crusiers over the border do just this...

When you do the emmisson test - install a mine compliant scrubber, it iwll pass with flying colours for many years to come.

When you do the emmisson test - install a mine compliant scrubber, it iwll pass with flying colours for many years to come.

These guys can help you with the scrubber: http://www.dcl-inc.com/index.cfm?lg=EN The quote is free. Just send them as much detail as possible. I don't think they come cheap though but it will give you the pleasure of giving EPA a cruiser salute:flipoff2:.

This EPA stuff sounds like a load of BS. I can't believe they'd bother to go to all the trouble for a small number of trucks when so many other vehicles pollute so much more.

All you'd have to do is turn down the fuel a little and the emissions would be very low indeed. I have seen BJ42s with over 275,000 kms fly through the basic testing they use in the lower mainland (mostly opacity testing, I think) with nearly zeros across the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom