OME installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
conflicting info when doing the search for correct install, just want to put it in right the first time. first pic shows the rear spring, (+) side is the short side and goes toward the center of vehicle, long side of shackle toward the spring as shown with extra bolt inbound
second pic is front (0) toward center of vehicle, long part of shackle toward the spring as shown
100_1313.jpg

is there a certian procedure recomended anywhere for changing these or just go at it lifting one side up changing the spring, then the other side til all four are done. i would have thoght that there would be some directions with the kit showing at least which way the springs are orientated and which way the shakles would mount. from the search feature i have seen that the 2.5 ome lift doesnt need shims however when the kit came in the paperwork says 3 inch deluxe. would it be best to just add a small shim when assembling, or wait and see what happens afterwards

I always though the + was toward the frame or center of the truck and the minus to the shackle. I will check my installation tonight. But i called to demistifed this.

ARB tech told me this;
+,- and 0 are quality control stamp and means nothing for the installation. It is a tolerance stamp. If the distance from the center pin to the end of the leaf is right on the tolerance they stamp a 0, if the leaf is between 0 and 2 mm shorter they stamp a -, if the leaf is 0 to 2 mm longer they stamp a +.

Now how they get installed?

The rear leaf;
From the center pin toward the back dimension should be 639mm
From the center pin toward the center of the truck should be 502mm
Thus longer side goes to the rear and the shackle.

The front Leaf;
From the center pin toward the front of the truck dimension should be 603mm
From the center pin toward the rear or center of the truck should be 502mm
Thus the longer side toward the front or shackle.

Just installed these a few weeks ago. See this thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=167009&highlight=install+tips

All 4 springs take the long side to the shackle on a standard install. I jacked up the rear first and supported with jack stands. This let me have no tires on the axle and seemed to make it easier to shove the axle around to line up the spring perch with the spring pins. For me, that was the toughest part.

This fellow has a good write up on his install.

http://www.englandhouseplans.com/fj55/fj40.htm

I installed a spacer on the pass side rear to help with the cruiser lean (I know, I am impure now!:grinpimp:) and shims on the front to correct for some previously installed longer shackles.

Hope you have a BFH and a breaker bar. They both came in handy. As an aside, if you are working in a space you want to keep clean, a tarp of some sort underneath is a big plus. The amount of crap that drops off the rig during the pounding and wrenching is amazing.

Have fun!

Where did you buy those springs and what did they charge you? I ask because I'm close to going with OME if I can't get these stupid BDS pieces od s*** to flex a little. Thanks- Ken

I just bought the whole OME package from Iron Pig for 1299.00. Seeing that you are in MD they aren't too from you in VA.

Where did you buy those springs and what did they charge you? I ask because I'm close to going with OME if I can't get these stupid BDS pieces od **** to flex a little. Thanks- Ken

I run heavy front and rear, i think for 2 1/2" the flexing is not bad at all. On this picture i am limited by the rear right wheel touching the body, 2nd picture. Since then i've installed 1" spacer.

main.php

main.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom