2LTE Timing belt question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
is it bad that I'm getting the Toyota Dealership to do my Timing belt.

I get worried when they don't readily understand what there looking at.

Anyone done there timing belt on there own or at the dealership, how long approx should it take. The guy today estimated 2 hours, the guy last week said 5-6 hours which I thought was absurd.

Also he asked about timing points, anyone know what I'm talking about cause I'm not sure on what I or he said. Something about factory settings so that when he puts the new belt on, the timing stays correct.

I dont know where you are located , if the stealership does it make sure they guaranty the work , no more than 2 hours period

On the 2L-TE you have to take pretty much everything off the front of the engine before you can get at the timing belt. It's a pain in the arse. I'm pretty sure even Wayne was charging more than 2 hrs on the 2L-TE timing belt.

It's not difficult to do, but I don't know if I'd trust someone who's not familiar with the engine. They might THINK they know what to do, but you don't want to be a guinea pig.

Have you thought about doing it yourself? Then you know it's done right, and you save yourself some $$.

I thought about doing it myself , but I just don't have the time. I have to pull the engine in my RX-7 and have that rebuilt and its going to be hard to fit that in.

Compared to a Toyota V6 or V8 gasser its easy. As long as they turn it over by hand and check the timing marks are correctly alligned ,they cant go wrong

Just make sure they get it to #1 top dead center before removing the belt, and make sure the timing marks on the cam, crank, and fuel pump pulleys are vertical when re-installing. As long as they don't shift things while the belt's off, you're good.

Are you doing the water pump while you've got the front of the engine opened up?

If you do it yourself use a paint marker to mark all the timing marks (crank, inj. pump, and cam sprocket). Or if you can't identify the factory marks make your own that way it is pretty much fool proof not to mess up the timing. It is time consuming if you don't know what you are doing but not rocket science. If you are going to do it or have it done change the:
1. Water pump
2. Timing Belt
3. Idler bearing
4. Tensioner Bearing
5. Cam seal
6. Crank seal
If you don't change everything you are wasting your time and money if any of these other component fail and it has to be torn apart again.

took it in today for the belt to be changes, dropped it off at 8 am like they asked called in around noon and then again around 3, not even touched. explained that I needed a vehicle so the dummies put whatever they took apart and put it back together. so they still haven't done anything and I'll likely be without my truck for another day

Isn't Ft McMurray grand, anything in the service industry from cars to getting some food, its below par , I can't wait to get out of this s*** hole. not even any good spots to wheel around.

took it in today for the belt to be changes, dropped it off at 8 am like they asked called in around noon and then again around 3, not even touched. explained that I needed a vehicle so the dummies put whatever they took apart and put it back together. so they still haven't done anything and I'll likely be without my truck for another day

I cant see what the problem is.Any trained mechanic could look at the timing belt,understand the concept,and just change it even if he/she is unfamiliar with the model.
Its fundamentally the same as all belt driven timing gear.:confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom