1976 FJ40 Wiring Diagram (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thecrazygreek

A.K.A. TheCraftyGreek
Threads
I am trying to hook up my wiring harness. Its a stock harness with no mods. Just getting started and want to begin with a basic connect to get the engine started and basic guages working. (water temp, and oil)

Looking at the diagrams on the tech page has me scratching my head. First theres none for a 76. I figure the 78 woud be close but the colors of wires dont match up.

What I need are some detailed pictures showing wiring coming out of the firewall leading to (with details of) the coil/ignitor, starter, oil pressure, and water temp.

All this for a 76. I hear 75 is the same.

Can anyone help???

Thx

:cheers:

I have a '76 FJ40 and the color codes on the '78 diagram are the same in my experience. There is an error in the '78 schematic where the wires at the ignition switch forthe start and accessory position are flipped. Are you sure that your wires are OEM stock?

Just be thankful you don't own my '76. The PO re-wired everything but it's all in blue. Why buy different colors of wore when one will do?

meh...

Then why are there 75-76 diagrams and 78-79 diagrams. The wires dont match up. I have a 6-76 rig.

The diagram in the tech section for a 78 shows the red and white wires going to the dist from the ignitor. ???

Anyone have some tight pics of the ignitor to coil, to dist, to starter area?

Thx

Ignition stuff

Here is something I'm sure won't help:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=153978&stc=1&d=1182952898
FJ40Dual Ignition2.jpg

Or buy a repair manual. Even a used Chilton or Clymer will have wiring diagrams. Mine do and I've referred to them hundreds of times.

Thx guys, I think I'll pick up one of those diagrams on Ebay. I have a chiltons but It got buried in a move.

How about you taking pics of what you have so we can see if it really is stock? :D

There is a guy on E-Bay selling color wiring diagrams of many years of Cruisers.
I have one of those for my '70. Very handy as the "lines" are primary color bordered by the stripe color. Laminated, large and easy to read. Highly recommended.

Coolerman, it is just so nice to know that you are still on the right side of the daisies:). Thanks, I am in the process of installing the wiring harness from my '79 into my '70 from which I stole my new American Autowire harness, gauges, sending units, etc. It is a challenge of course. The previous owner had substantially modified the harness, poor repairs throughout requiring removal of just about every piece of tape on the harness. I hate taped wiring harnesses.

Thanks Coolerman, Kentucky is a long way from Ecuador:). I use tape very sparingly, usually at the ends of the split loom to keep the wires from falling out. And I use mostly split loom. This morning I ended up removing every single piece of tape on the '79 harness. Good thing too, I found several melted wires, bad joints, etc. Just about finished cleaning up the mess, segregating wires out, they were twisted up like a bowl of spaghetti. I'll throw some loom on them just to keep my sorting work sorted for transport back out to the vehicle. Rather than trying to keep as much of it intact as I could I resorted to making a '70 wiring harness out of the '79, where possible anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom