Power Steering Fluid Type???? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm plan on flushing out my power steering system but I'm really not sure what type of fluid to use. I have searched and found many different choices. What I have in there now is almost black probably original fluid. In winter below 20F I get a groaning whining sound that goes away after warming up. Someone on MUD suggested using Mobil DTE Light Hydraulic oil is it better or worse than ATF III I know people have got some noise issues with synthetic ATF III so I'll steer (LOL) clear of that. Any other suggestions?

Thanx
George

The ATF "Label" is molded into the cap on mine, I doubt it's going to fall off! ATF is the Toyota recommended refill fluid, but the 80 along with most of it's era and older Toyotas come from the factory with hydraulic oil in it.

ATF is hydraulic oil with additives, most to deal with the clutches in the trany, these additives would be considered contaminates in a pure hydraulic system, which a power steering system is. My take is that Toyota specs ATF for refills for convenience reasons, it's readily available at all shops and will work if not pushed hard.

A lot of simple hydraulic systems allow for ATF as a fill fluid, more precision, higher pressure systems warn against it due to cavitation and varnishing problems. The groaning, whining sound from the pump is from cavitation, tiny bubbles form on the vacuum side of the pump vanes and implode on the pressure side. This implosion is very small, but has high heat and burns a tiny amount of fluid, converting it to varnish, it can pit the pump vanes and cylinder.

Ether fluid will work, but hydraulic oil is a higher performance fluid for this application, it takes more temp, pressure before it cavitates.

Thanks for the new must-do job, Kevin. a******.

-Spike

FWIW, I use Amsoil ATF in my PS system. It has worked well over the years. Allows me to turn 36" Swampers in the rocks and doesn't make noise when cold. After 16 years, my original PS pump developed a leak in the rear seal and since I did a re-seal kit on it about 5 or 6 years ago I just replaced it with new. Still, 16 years off the original pump should tell you something about the fluid used.

I recently did the Raventai flush (great write-up) with Mobil 1 ATF. Works fine as far as I can tell - no groaning/whining sounds.

If wanted to switch to the hydraulic fluid, is there any reason to worry about some mixing with the existing fluid?

thanks

If wanted to switch to the hydraulic fluid, is there any reason to worry about some mixing with the existing fluid?

thanks

Nope, the fluids are compatible.

I use Mobil DTE light, ISO 32.
Is this what you used? Oil, Hydraulic, 1gal - Oils - Lubricants - Lubrication : Grainger Industrial Supply They have something similar in a 5 gallon pail that would take me more than a lifetime to consume Oil, Hydraulic, 5gal - Oils - Lubricants - Lubrication : Grainger Industrial Supply Looking to replace my worn pump tomorrow before the winter sets in.

Thanks
George
Premium-Hydraulic-Oil-4ZF33_AS01.jpg

That is the stuff.
Thanks for getting back to me, unfortunately my local Grainger is closed on the weekends. How different is the stuff in the 5 gallon pail it lists a different viscosity than the DTE 24 Do you know any other place that would carry DTE 24?

Howe and PSC both reccomend AC Delco power steering fluid and warn against using ATF in their pumps. Its pretty easy to find as well.

Lots and lots of different hyd fluids and weights out there though. Along with other ISO 32 fluids.

I take it with the hydro fluid that the lower the number the thinner and more wintery application? Where as the higher the number the more viscous and summer oriented?

I have iso 10 at my work and it's water compared to hd 46 that's like syrup.

Are y’all using ATF or the hydraulic stuff Kevin had recommended?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom