How to add manual transmission fluid in 22re? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What a goofball! I can muddle my way through a clutch job, but can't figure out how to add fluid?

I know the fill is high on the left side of tranny (over drain plug), but how the hell do you fill it with those little bottles? There's no clearance.

Also, can you use a heavier weight oil, or stick with the 90?

Thanks in advance.

Several options:
1) Remove shifter and pour the oil in from the top until it dribbles out the fill plug.

2) Connect a piece of hose to the bottle and try to find a high spot to hold the bottle, then squeeze the bottle until you get enough in. Reguires several refills and the damn hose will definitely slip off at least once and spill gear oil down your sleeve and/or into your eyes.

3) Buy a cheap hand pump and pump it from the bottle to the fill hole. This method will also guarantee you a few ounces at least spilled on the floor. At least it didn't go in your eyes this time. Also, the pump will stop working midway through your next job.

4) Buy a 5-gallon bucket of oil and a good pump that replaces the bucket lid and has a high volume, no spill hand pump.

How come I know all of these options you ask? Because I'm just as tightassed as the next guy. But finally after 35 years of dicking around I went with option #4. Guys are always talking about the best mod they did to their rigs - power steering, spring-over, shackle reversal, new seats, whatever. A professional gear oil pump ranks right up there for me. :)

Several options:
1) Remove shifter and pour the oil in from the top until it dribbles out the fill plug.

2) Connect a piece of hose to the bottle and try to find a high spot to hold the bottle, then squeeze the bottle until you get enough in. Reguires several refills and the damn hose will definitely slip off at least once and spill gear oil down your sleeve and/or into your eyes.

3) Buy a cheap hand pump and pump it from the bottle to the fill hole. This method will also guarantee you a few ounces at least spilled on the floor. At least it didn't go in your eyes this time. Also, the pump will stop working midway through your next job.

4) Buy a 5-gallon bucket of oil and a good pump that replaces the bucket lid and has a high volume, no spill hand pump.

How come I know all of these options you ask? Because I'm just as tightassed as the next guy. But finally after 35 years of dicking around I went with option #4. Guys are always talking about the best mod they did to their rigs - power steering, spring-over, shackle reversal, new seats, whatever. A professional gear oil pump ranks right up there for me. :)

I believe that's option #1 for me; thanks so very much!

I too went thru all 4 of those options. #4 is the best solution, IMO. I got my pump at NAPA.

I believe that's option #1 for me; thanks so very much!

Y'er darn right it is. Since you asked in the first place, I'd say you won't get to option 4 for at least another 20 years, assuming you're as slow a learner as I am. Probably not, though. It's always a tight race between me and a turd of hurdles. :D

I like #5:
Get a funnel, some irrigation hose or some other rubber or plastic flexible line, and a 90* copper elbow. Assemble the tube with hose clamps, adding about 2" to the horizontal side of the copper elbow. Now add a funnel to the top, and fish the thing down from your engine compartment, with a pan below the tranny.

Slowly pour GL4 SAE 90, such as Redline MT90, into the funnel. Take your time, a nice hefeweizen helps with this. Pour the specced amount of oil in, when you get close slow down. When you hear a few drips hitting the pan below the tranny, you're done.

You're welcome!

I like #5:
Get a funnel, some irrigation hose or some other rubber or plastic flexible line, and a 90* copper elbow. Assemble the tube with hose clamps, adding about 2" to the horizontal side of the copper elbow. Now add a funnel to the top, and fish the thing down from your engine compartment, with a pan below the tranny.

I tried this type of setup once. Made a HUGE mess under the truck. No thanks. I'll stick to my pump. I hate the smell of that stuff all over my hands.

I got lucky. Where I work there's a nice metal 5 gallon container with a hand pump. Long flexible hose and a metal filler tip. When I leave this job, that's one of the first things I'm going to buy.

Yup, remove fill plug, and fill as conveniently as possible, a drum w/pump is the best bet, otherwise, get the bottles with the tapered fillers, cut off the end, and use any kind of hose you can to make extensions so you can sit outside the vehicle and squeeze the bottle. When it pukes, it's full.

I tried this type of setup once. Made a HUGE mess under the truck. No thanks. I'll stick to my pump. I hate the smell of that stuff all over my hands.
Really?
I did it in my church clothes once on a Sunday morning waiting for my wife to get ready...
:lol:
Never made a mess, ever. Sure you followed what I described? (not that my description couldn't use a little clarification...)

I looked and could not even find the fill plug - can someone please post photos? Sorry to chime in with more madness.

If it's the same place as my 92, on the driver side of the tranny case up pretty high, maybe 3 inches from the top. Also, it's along the same line as the drain plug, so follow it up to the top of the case, left (or right). Looks just like a drain plug, only mounted high on the side.

I use about 5' of clear plastic 1/2" hose. Run it from the engine bay down to the fill hole in the transmission. Looks a lot like an IV, but it was cheap, clean and effective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom