TLC ICON Soft top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where do they get the ones on the ICON? They don't look like any others I've seen. Anybody know?

I called awhile ago and spoke with them and they told me that the bows are the heritage bows and said the top is custom made with a 3 ply German canvas and it was very expensive, that is all I got from them.

I actually like how fitted his top is! It looks very tight fitting? I got this off the forum somewhere and I believe from S America? I wonder if we can get?

Last edited:
Are any of those that different from Ehsan's??

icon_land_cruiser_1.jpg

Greetings to eshan from a satisfied german customer!

motivator8892438b0df2829c4b4d9.jpg

My friend just finished his bj40 project and finaly mounted the eshan top

:beer:

Scott

I actually like how fitted his top is! It looks very tight fitting? I got this off the forum somewhere and I believe from S America? I wonder if we can get?

So, do we know who made this one on the red 40. Looks like the best one yet. Any chance we could make all the windows a little bigger?

Last edited:
Agree the one on the red 40 looks insane. I loved the top I got from Ehsan but I had to have the bows powdercoated and had to install or replace everything with stainless.

The red one was probably locally made - I've knew a guy who did that in Orlando with better material and it awesome.

Someone post up if the maker is found.

Got a reply from Johnathan Ward. Materials alone cost over $2500. It is the best looking top that I've seen!!!

Made in the USA...

.. by a bunch of folks from Mexico... ;)

Got a reply from Johnathan Ward. Materials alone cost over $2500. It is the best looking top that I've seen!!!

Thanks ... wow. It is good looking but I don't even wanna ask how much if they decided to sell it. I could probably buy a tub!

Scott

The local awning guys here say making one would be no problem but it would be more than a mass produced unit but likely significantly less than TLC's (based on the 2500 mat. costs).

Look around you area for good awning contractor as a starting point. As long as it;s being made custom be sure to add your personal touches: window size & shape; auxialry openings; vents; whatever.

TLC soft top

I visited TLC on my trip to California last week. Awesome group of guys and they gave me a personal tour of their facility and where they are making the ICON. I sat in the Icon and Jonathon told me they tops would be very expensive as people wouldn't spend the money to buy them. The material is off the Mercedes Benz soft top and the material alone is $1500-2,000.Nice guys - purchase from them if need anything.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am the one that posted that Pic of the Red 40 here on MUD. The maker is in Colombia. They made this quality top for the red 40. If I get some good interest I can contact the guy that made this top and see about getting some of these to the states.

245882491.jpg

FloridaFJ80, I would be very curious about the idea. Were you the purchaser of the top from columbia? Do you have any idea of a ballpark figure on price?

I would agree that the black top is made in Colombia. The fabric is actually relatively cheap to have made but apart from that you have to have all of the tubes made, the channel that runs along the windshield and door frames, and in most cases you have to replace the rear doors. Not that this is a problem, it can all be done, and all of the work is made to OEM specs. I'm actually in the process of having a soft top made for my BJ43. The quality of these tops is excelent!
Here are some some pics of my FJ43 with a soft top. I'm shipping some stuff back to the states around July and could probably help put together an order.
As a side note, since the tops are all custom made you can have the windows made however you want.
1980FJ43 Beige 001.jpg
1980FJ43 Beige 076.jpg
1980FJ43 Beige 078.jpg

By the way, I'm not trying to steel anyone's idea or business. I'm just offering up my help as well since I'm currently going through this process.
:cheers:

Hey guys, I am the one that posted that Pic of the Red 40 here on MUD. The maker is in Colombia. They made this quality top for the red 40. If I get some good interest I can contact the guy that made this top and see about getting some of these to the states.

245882491.jpg

i would think anything that is made and sold is a huge benefit to the TLC community...nobody will be stealing anybodys idea or buisness...it offers us in the usa a variety to pick from...a variety is good for buisness.

I had mine done two years ago...they went out of buisness and was not able to have anymore made :frown:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom