Windshield cracks: Is this a big problem? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been thinking about an FJ since the beginning.

I was just about to go in and try to negotiate a deal and I read the windshield poll on the other forum and it seems like about half the owners have lost a windshield and its pretty expensive to replace.

Are you having this problem and if so is there an economical way to negate it yet?

Right now, it is difficult to determine the truth if there really is a problem or not. You can't take an internet poll as being true statistical data. Even if you take the poll numbers as being accurate, there are 12k members on that forum and 450 or so say they have broken a windshield. Of course, none of those broken "should" have broken according to many of those effected.

It is true that the Toyota replacement is ~$1400 but there or other manufacturers that are supposed to be available at $350-450 but they are hard to come by.

Bottom line is that windshields break and there is no evidence that they are breaking at any greater rate than any other vehicle. There are a handful of posters on that "other" forum who are fanning the flames and claiming to be filing a "grass-roots, class-action" lawsuit in order to feed a bunch of VA attorneys.

I guess its pretty easy to see where I stand on the subject...

Yes, it is a problem, and being a smart driver is not the answer.

A rock can get kicked up from a truck a mile in front of you and bounce down the highway until it lands on you.

I just went through a replacement a few months back.
$1.6K for all, but only $50 out of my pocket with my insurance.

Mine started out as a small chip and I turned it in to be fixed.
Next morning driving to work I watched it spread all the way across in a matter of seconds.

1053.00 One windshield
133.00 Labor
15.00 Fast cure, primer
278.19 Dealer molding
130.17 Sales tax
$1559.36

So you honestly believe there is something WRONG with the windshield, that it isn't somehow SAFE, or some kind of different glass than ANY OTHER WINDSHIELD OUT THERE. Just because a part is expensive to replace doesn't make it worthy of a class-action lawsuit. I am sure that the windshield's Toyota use in our FJ's are DOT approved and just as strong and sturdy as their other ones, comparing them to the Honda Element owners does not justify what is wrong. Suing a company over a wearable part that you think should be put under warranty is insane and is against everything the car industry has ever done.

Just hope you realize what you are saying that is all. It is called Mob mentality at the other forum and you need to think about it logically not with the emotion your pocket book has arised.

If you meant me, no I do not think there is a cause yet for a lawsuit.
But I can say, in all of my years of diving since 1973 (16 years old) the FJ is the first vehicle I have ever had a window crack.

I have driven many miles and never had a chip before except for my last rig, the '91 4Runner.
And it stayed a chip, very small.

Most who have had a chip on the FJs window have watched in horror like I did spread into a huge crack before their very eyes.
Something is clearly wrong here, and many are on their 3rd or 4th windshield already.

I only had around 5K when mine got the small chip which grew.

Perhaps the window needs thicker glass, I do not know.
But all glass shops are aware of how easily they break.
The shop I went to has replaced a ton of them in my city already.

Be a smart driver and you shouldnt have a problem

Wha? :confused:.

It's interesting that this thread came up now. My wife just got a crack in her windshield this past week. It can happen at any time, anywhere. She does a lot of DC Beltway driving, increasing her chances of encounters with rocks. It's the luck of the draw. It also doesn't help that the FJC windshield is close to vertical, maximizing the impact of anything that strikes it. :frown:

Here we go...in my opinion, this is the nature of today's modern windshield technology. I have had 3 similar situations as Corey described (all in other vehicles), starts as a single impact/chip, expands into a long crack with time. In one case, I had a "chip repair service" withing 24 hours of the first chip and this one did not spread as others have. As described to me by this service, if it is "caught" early, it can be stopped. But, once the surface has been compromised, it will progressively get worse.

If this isn't the case in some incidents, it is luck, not the "norm".

With that said, I agree with Aggie that this issue has become inflammed by the mob mentality, exagerated by many with little evidence of fact.

-Have there been chipped/cracked/broken windshields? Of course.
-Does that mean there is a defect? In all probability no.
-Could it be improved? Of course.
-Is Toyota obligated to make improvements? No.
- Would it be good customer service to find a way to make improvements? Of course.
-Is beating this on internet discussion boards going to make anything happed at Toyota? No

Bottom line, if you are concerned about it and comtemplating buying an FJC, get the extra windshield insurance in the event something happens. If you already have one, do the same. If it needs replacement, document it with Toyota in the event that Toyota decides to be pro-active and offers help. As on poster on the "other forum" posted, he got a $500 check from Toyota since he complained to the right people.

I am trying to be very careful with mine until I can get it paid down enough to unload it.
So far, so good.

Last edited:
Over the last 20 something years, I've replaced windshields on the following
77 Vw bug -- pitted
63 bug - cracked
87 Chevy S10 - cracked
91 Suburban - cracked
72 Fj40 - pitted
95 Chevy Pickup - Cracked/pitted
03 Suburban - cracked

Are these all worthy of a lawsuit? Heck no -- stuff happens. The mob mentality kills me.

77 Vw bug -- pitted
63 bug - cracked
87 Chevy S10 - cracked
91 Suburban - cracked
72 Fj40 - pitted
03 Suburban - cracked

Are these all worthy of a lawsuit? Heck no -- stuff happens. The mob mentality kills me.

Here, here...total agreement but I guess some thought their Toyota came with the "force-field" option so their windshields would never break or their paint would never chip. I thought you had to buy a Lexus to get that option...

The funny thing is the paint chipping -- Any paint will chip. However, I do think they should have used the "anti-chip" paint. I'm not making this up -- I used to work at NUMMI in the Truck Paint plant, and they sprayed a "antichip" undercoating that went on the rockers, and the leading edge of the hood on the Tacomas. It was a PVC-ish coating. just soft enough to cushion small pebbles. But it still chips.

They want chips, they should look at my Chevy truck -- Full on chip/delam.

Paint is only there to prevent the truck from rusting. sheesh

77 Vw bug -- pitted
63 bug - cracked
87 Chevy S10 - cracked
91 Suburban - cracked
72 Fj40 - pitted
03 Suburban - cracked

True, but the FJ seems to have a very high breakage rate.
There is A LOT of complaining at www.fjcruiserforums.com

What's next?

MPG Class-action suit... I'm done trying to make a point there.. they almost e-linched me and mtb.

What's next?

MPG Class-action suit... I'm done trying to make a point there.. they almost e-linched me and mtb.

Yeah, its pretty silly. Almost makes me embarassed they way some are acting over there.

Even if you take the pole as being accurate, out of 11k+ members, 460 say they have had a broken windshield. That equates to about 4%. Of course there are many "assumptions" with those numbers but even at 8%, I don't think that such are out of the "norm".

I think that it's safe to conclude that the increased rate of windshield problems, or perceived increased rate, is due to a combination of things, none of which are a design or manufacturing flaw. Namely, the most obvious reason for the increased chipping is the vertical alignment of the windshield. The more vertical the windshield is, the more likely you are to chip it. This is not a "flaw." Rather, it is a design requirement, because that is what the FJ Cruiser was intended to look like. Like a throwback to an era where people had upright windshields. Combining this vertical windshield with 80mph speeds and lots of traffic is going to result in chipped windshields.

If that is a "flaw," it is clearly perceptible by looking at the FJ Cruiser. You've got to know what's going to happen there.

Insure your windshield, folks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom