Best place to buy brake parts?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello fellow cruiserheads...wondering if anyone can suggest a good place to buy brake parts for a 67JFJ40...I will be replacing the rear wheel cylinders (need 4 of them), rear brake shoes and rear brake hose...thanks....looked at the standard sites such as JT Outfitters, Man a fre and SOR...just wondering if there are anymore out there...thanks...Rog

thanks...for the info...I was thinking that but wasn't sure if they carried parts for older model FJ40s....

You have to call Mark at Mark's Offroad in Burbank. He is the resident expert on the really old-school stuff. He's also a member of this board. If I had a 67 and wanted to stay with 67 parts, I'd call him first. 67 still uses the old 9mm fittings and all kinds of strange and exotic stuff, like the ball and claw!

Replace any single circuit master cylinder with a dual front/rear one. They are widow makers. If you get a leak, no brakes.

Replace any single circuit master cylinder with a dual front/rear one. They are widow makers. If you get a leak, no brakes.

Pin_head...I am going to sound very novice here...can you elaborate a bit on your recommendation...thanks...

Unless I'm mistaken, which could be a definite possibility, a dual circuit means just that. You have a circuit for the front brakes and a circuit for the rear brakes. If you tear out a rear brake line, you will still have fluid in the front circuit to get you stopped. Obviously, the pedal will feel mushy, but there will be brakes for a short time. As opposed to a single circuit that will give you NO brakes if you tear a brake line.

:cheers:

Up until 7/70, Cruiser master cylinders have a single hydraulic circuit that operates both the front and rear brakes. (Same is true for most American cars up to 67). After that, they have two separate hydraulic circuits; one for the front and one for the rear. On a single piston M/C, if you have a leak, the only brakes you have will be the emergency brake. On one of our club trail rides the guy going up the hill in front of me sprung a leak in his early FJ40 with single master cylinder while backing down a steep section and he hurtled past me just barely missing me before he ran into a rock. No brakes is bad news.

Up until 7/70, Cruiser master cylinders have a single hydraulic circuit that operates both the front and rear brakes. (Same is true for most American cars up to 67). After that, they have two separate hydraulic circuits; one for the front and one for the rear. On a single piston M/C, if you have a leak, the only brakes you have will be the emergency brake.

On one of our club trail rides the guy going up the hill in front of me sprung a leak in his early FJ40 with single master cylinder while backing down a steep section and he hurtled past me just barely missing me before he ran into a rock. No brakes is bad news.
YIKES!!...thanks for the heads up...I have expanded my knowledge of FJs because of you...:beer:

Wow...learned something new today. Thanks. Can these dual cylinders, say from SOR, fit older FJs like a 67-8? Or do you need to redo your whole brake line system?

Yes, you have to do some plumbing to have separate lines for front and rear, but the later dual circuit master cylinder can be retrofitted. The early brake line flare nuts are also a wierd size and are hard to find, so you may as well upgrade the whole enchilada: new master, lines and wheel cylinders.

Last edited:
would cdan have these kinds of parts or are they too old school? i know many guys buy from cdan and have nothing but good things to say...

Widow makers? I guess I've been playing Russian roulette for 21 years then.;p There are PLENTY of guys and gals out there still running the single circuit master cylinder. I still run one on both my wheeling rigs, my 68fj40 and my 64FJ45 which is my daily driver. They both work ok; in fact several of the wheel cylinders on both rigs are OE.

That said, I will readily admit that when I had the chance to build the swb from the ground up, I built it as a dual circuit. I will also admit that I have considered upgrading the brakes on both my wheeling rigs. I think that one day I will.

My thoughts. If you are considering upgrading, plan to change EVERYTHING. That's right. All the wheel cylinders, all the lines, as well as the master. Either do it all the way or leave it stock.

Thanks for keeping me in mind as a resource.;)

Best

Mark A.

I replaced all my wheel cylinders, lines and master on my 68 40. I ordered them from man-a-fre. I had a problem with the master right away (leaking). To man-a-fre's credit, they sent me a rebuild kit free of charge 1 year after the install. I replaced the inards and was good to go for a while...

The cylinders where el cheapo's. The adjusting screws were wrong (backwards). Some had rubber gaskets on two sides others on one...

While all of this was going on, brake fluid was dripping from various places all over my frame and floorboards. Brake fluid is a great paint remover by the way. :mad:

So, I replaced all (master and wheel cylinders) with Toyota parts (thanks cDan!) Now I have zero brake issues and they will be good to go for a long time.

I recommend using Toyota parts. A little more pricey but you get what you pay for.

I recommend using Toyota parts. A little more pricey but you get what you pay for.
Good timing for me w/this info. I have a couple cylinders and shoes sitting in my shopping cart on CCOT. Non Toyota parts. Of course I went there due to the price not thinking there's much diff in quality...not happy to pay more money but will be even less happy if my brakes fail.

Good timing for me w/this info. I have a couple cylinders and shoes sitting in my shopping cart on CCOT. Non Toyota parts. Of course I went there due to the price not thinking there's much diff in quality...not happy to pay more money but will be even less happy if my brakes fail.

My opinion only, but I have never been happy with the quality level of anything I have received from CCoT. Most of their discounted stuff is cheap Taiwanese or Chinese knockoff parts. I no longer deal with them. If Toyota still has this stuff available in the parts chain, you should use it.

Certain vendors are trustworthy as well for non-OEM parts-Mudrak, Cruiseroutfitters, a few others. When those guys find the aftermarket lacking, they will recommend only OEM parts, ie they won't sell you junk just to make a sale.

I replaced all my wheel cylinders, lines and master on my 68 40. I ordered them from man-a-fre. I had a problem with the master right away (leaking). To man-a-fre's credit, they sent me a rebuild kit free of charge 1 year after the install. I replaced the inards and was good to go for a while...

The cylinders where el cheapo's. The adjusting screws were wrong (backwards). Some had rubber gaskets on two sides others on one...

While all of this was going on, brake fluid was dripping from various places all over my frame and floorboards. Brake fluid is a great paint remover by the way. :mad:

So, I replaced all (master and wheel cylinders) with Toyota parts (thanks cDan!) Now I have zero brake issues and they will be good to go for a long time.

Thanks for the info..I called Ralph Hayes Toyota in South Carolina and was told they could not find wheel cylinders for a 67FJ40 b/c they are no longer manufactored...so will the wheel cylinders form a later model FJ work???...thanks for your feedback...

Hey duke, I work at a local auto parts store here in town (Bumper to Bumper). If you tell me everything you need I can work up a price for you with my discount which is killer (10% over cost) and let you know. I'm in GA so shipping shouldn't be that much. I was looking up parts for I think a 73 the other day and we had most in stock and could get the others in one day. Just let me know, I would be glad to help you out. I work again Friday all day.
Later dude, Wes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom