TBI setups? Brands? etc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.elirubelphotography.com
I've had the holley projection for 2 years now and it has worked like a dream. Once you get it dialed in it's good to go. You might have to adjust it twice a year when there is a significant change in air temperature.

Is the projection that you have the same as the link I posted above?

Also did you tune it yourself or dyno it>?

I've had the holley projection for 2 years now and it has worked like a dream. Once you get it dialed in it's good to go. You might have to adjust it twice a year when there is a significant change in air temperature.

anyone else have an opinion on the subject?

Yup. I've had good luck with the Howell TBI setup I got just over a year ago. It uses mainly GM parts so if anything fails everything is available from most parts stores.
I like that its a closed loop system so you don't have to tweak the computer when you change elevation.

a buddy of mine has had good luck with his howell setup on his jeep..

I am using a stock harness/computer on mine, and keep having small issues with it!

Last edited:
Is the projection that you have the same as the link I posted above?

Also did you tune it yourself or dyno it>?

Yes, it's the same as the link you posted. I tune it myself. You don't need a dyno to tune this thing. It is very simple. It takes about 20 minutes to get it completely dialed in. You don't need the closed loop kit. I have heard it was crap anyway. Without the closed loop you have the option to run it a little bit rich, which helps a little bit with cooling.

The projection runs as good as the 600cfm holley double pumper(which I had on my motor for a month) on the road and runs like fuel injection off road--perfect.

My brother has a stock GM throttle body on his 40. They run good also, but are more of a pain to wire. They are also not as conducive to engine changes(cam, heads, etc.) as the projection is.

edelbrock pro-flo EFI

throttle body, closed loop, injector per cylinder.

F.I.R.S.T. makes a pretty nice TPI unit?

I't's my understanding though that the TPI units are better for top end.

There has been some changes with the plenums to improve bottom end?

If interested check out FIRST's site
cruise & large equip 065.jpg

In my truck I have a bored out TBI setup on my 350 crate motor. It has 58# per hour injectors and a dual plane intake. I put a spacer on it and have a custom chip. I have a cold air intake and an running about 350 Horsepower at 650 CFM. I got the TBI upgrade kit at turbocity. out of So Cal. I am very pleased with it.
http://www.turbocity.com/
engine.jpg

Last edited:
5 knobs on the ECM.

Is yours the "Digital" model?

Supposedly you can also tune it with a laptop...is this true?

Also, was the wiring that was included long enough to mount wherever you wanted in the cab?

Any photos of your setup under hood and ECM??

Last edited:
Is yours the "Digital" model?

Supposedly you can also tune it with a laptop...is this true?

Also, was the wiring that was included long enough to mount wherever you wanted in the cab?

Any photos of your setup under hood and ECM??

Yeah, mine is the digital. No, you cannot tune mine with a laptop. I think you are thinking about the 4 barrel Commander series. Those you tune with a laptop:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...840140+4294925067+4294871516+115&autoview=sku
I mounted my ECM where the factory radio sits above the heater. I have several feet of wire coiled up in the glovebox so I think you would be able to mount it where ever you wanted.
Sorry, no pictures of my setup at work. I can tell you that it is a very clean setup though. Not too many wires running everywhere.

You could just pull the tbi, computer, and those two or three sensors off a wrecked van and plug into a Howell harness. You could get the whole nut for way under $150 plus the harness, a new 02 sensor and a knock sensor.

cheers-
Dustin

Yeah, mine is the digital. No, you cannot tune mine with a laptop. I think you are thinking about the 4 barrel Commander series. Those you tune with a laptop:
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...840140+4294925067+4294871516+115&autoview=sku
I mounted my ECM where the factory radio sits above the heater. I have several feet of wire coiled up in the glovebox so I think you would be able to mount it where ever you wanted.
Sorry, no pictures of my setup at work. I can tell you that it is a very clean setup though. Not too many wires running everywhere.

Well if you find some time at home to snap a few shots that would be really helpfull.

You could just pull the tbi, computer, and those two or three sensors off a wrecked van and plug into a Howell harness. You could get the whole nut for way under $150 plus the harness, a new 02 sensor and a knock sensor.

cheers-
Dustin

The howell harness is $400 plus the 150 for the wrecker, and the 02 sensor..I would be pretty close to the $950 for the Holley, but with the holley its all new with a warrranty

Pro-Jection 2D

I've been using the Holley Pro-jection for close to 10 years now and am quite satified. I have had to replace the ECU once (got the 2D computer as a replacement for the dead 1D).

http://www.holley.com/502-20S.asp

I agree with tuning a few times a year depending on how much you drive your rig. I have tuned myself and paid a few bucks for Dyno tuning and probably won't tune again myself. The Dyno tuning was much better than what I could do in the past.

I also got the closed loop kit when I replaced the ECU and disconnected it after a month or so. It caused nothing but problems for me and it's run much better without it.

I'll be home Thursday and can post a few pics then. My ECU is in the glovebox and the wiring is a mile long. It would probably reach the rear seat.

In my truck I have a bored out TBI setup on my 350 crate motor. It has 58# per hour injectors and a dual plane intake. I put a spacer on it and have a custom chip. I have a cold air intake and an running about 350 Horsepower at 650 CFM. I got the TBI upgrade kit at turbocity. out of So Cal. I am very pleased with it.
http://www.turbocity.com/

Looks sweet where did you get that air cleaner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom