Any hope for faded paint?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

85roktoy

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey Guys, I have an 85 pickup with the original factory red paint. I've always had this problem but the bed has always been somewhat more "faded" than the cab of the truck. I'm positive it is original paint too. I can add wax to both the cab and the bed but the bed still has a bit of a dull look to it. I took it once and had someone use a high speed buffer and it looked pretty dern good. Thats been years ago though. I don't want to risk buffing the paint down to the primer! Is there any way to make the bed as glossy as the front again? Could I add a clear coat to it or something? Any help would be great! -Wes

Maybe try a little rubbing compound, then wax. Sometimes it takes off the oxidation, just be careful with it! if you clearcoat it seems like you would have shiny faded paint?

Yes, there are a couple of products that work. Depending on the pain you have on there and how bad it really is. If you have an existing clear coat that is faded or there is no more clear coat left. I will be at the shop tomorrow and post the names (can't remember right now). I did use both of them on different vehicles and they are awesome! also cheaper then a new clear coat.

Yes, there are a couple of products that work. Depending on the pain you have on there and how bad it really is. If you have an existing clear coat that is faded or there is no more clear coat left. I will be at the shop tomorrow and post the names (can't remember right now). I did use both of them on different vehicles and they are awesome! also cheaper then a new clear coat.
That would be great!! Thanks!

Finally had a chance to check the product. If you still have some clear coat left but it is dull, and has some minor scratches (and some larger ones) you can try using Novus. It is a 3 stage product. It acts like a cut polish and the 1st will clean up the surface and get rid of the hard scratches. The second will buff out the remaining scratches and make the hard ones blend a bit more it as well as give the clear coat a bit more shine. The third will shine up the clear coat very nicely. I would recommend using a wax after to seal everything. A cheap Crappy tire buffer makes life a lot easier and just do it in small sections.
If the clear is pretty much gone then a product called Auto Glym works well. A single stage that restores shine to paint and makes it look better. You will not magically have clear coat but will make the color look deeper and give it gloss. Also I would use wax after this.
Good luck.
P.S. you can get the Novus from commercial / industrial paint and chemical suppliers and the Auto Glym from auto parts stores.

Finally had a chance to check the product. If you still have some clear coat left but it is dull, and has some minor scratches (and some larger ones) you can try using Novus. It is a 3 stage product. It acts like a cut polish and the 1st will clean up the surface and get rid of the hard scratches. The second will buff out the remaining scratches and make the hard ones blend a bit more it as well as give the clear coat a bit more shine. The third will shine up the clear coat very nicely. I would recommend using a wax after to seal everything. A cheap Crappy tire buffer makes life a lot easier and just do it in small sections.
If the clear is pretty much gone then a product called Auto Glym works well. A single stage that restores shine to paint and makes it look better. You will not magically have clear coat but will make the color look deeper and give it gloss. Also I would use wax after this.
Good luck.
P.S. you can get the Novus from commercial / industrial paint and chemical suppliers and the Auto Glym from auto parts stores.
Cool, I'll have to look at those. I have worked in the auto parts business for about 10 years now and have never seen that Auto Glym product. Where is it sold and what does the bottle look like. One more thing, How can I tell if I have a clear coat left or not? I don't think there is one but I could be wrong. Thanks again for the info!

The Auto Glym is new, a white bottle with a non glamorous little sticker on it that gives you the name. I'll see if I can find a link.
As for whether you have clear coat, if you have areas that are still shiny / glossy around edges or vertical panels then and the pieces that are horizontal have a whiter duller finish then you likely still have clear coat (this is a common faded clear coat from sunlight). If you have panels that are completely dull and have a rougher feel to them then you likely do not have clear coat.
A faded or damaged clear coat is still visible, a bit dull but not like a flat paint and usually has a white/milky tint to it.

Here found you a web site:
http://www.autoglym.co.uk/frame2.html
It is the Paint Renovator product, you can try the Super Resin Polish as well, I have not played with it but it should work fine. They have a lot of info on the site.
Found this one too:
http://www.noscratch.com/novus/
I am not sure if it is their official site but it gives you an idea.

Just remember both of these products are a cut polish, they will remove a very tiny amount of clear coat or paint so I would not recommend using these every time you wash your truck and just make sure to apply some good quality wax after to seal the finish in.

The Auto Glym is new, a white bottle with a non glamorous little sticker on it that gives you the name. I'll see if I can find a link.
As for whether you have clear coat, if you have areas that are still shiny / glossy around edges or vertical panels then and the pieces that are horizontal have a whiter duller finish then you likely still have clear coat (this is a common faded clear coat from sunlight). If you have panels that are completely dull and have a rougher feel to them then you likely do not have clear coat.
A faded or damaged clear coat is still visible, a bit dull but not like a flat paint and usually has a white/milky tint to it.

Here found you a web site:
http://www.autoglym.co.uk/frame2.html
It is the Paint Renovator product, you can try the Super Resin Polish as well, I have not played with it but it should work fine. They have a lot of info on the site.
Found this one too:
http://www.noscratch.com/novus/
I am not sure if it is their official site but it gives you an idea.

Just remember both of these products are a cut polish, they will remove a very tiny amount of clear coat or paint so I would not recommend using these every time you wash your truck and just make sure to apply some good quality wax after to seal the finish in.
Thanks a lot for the info! I'll try it out and let you know how it works!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom