Steering box PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short. I bought an Fj60 box from a member of this forum. Turned out the box leaked like a sieve and was loose as a goose. He sent me a paypal for 30 bucks to cover the seals for the box. I sent it to matt at west texas for a full rebuild and to be ported for hydro assist.

Got the box installed and it still leaked like crazy. Called matt and he said that the sector shaft in my box was so pitted from sitting that it would never seal correctly. He did say he would rebuild and port another box free of charge but i have to get another box to him.

So heres my predicament, im in the hole 170 bucks for the box plus shipping and another 140 for the bad box being rebuilt. Im not askin for a handout and i plan on buying another box but i dont want this happening again. So does anybody out there have a box that they know works and doesnt leak but maybe needs rebuilt and doesnt want an arm and a leg for it.

The box i have is from an 83 Fj60. Not sure if years matter but i drilled and sleeved my frame for that box and id hate to buy a box and it not fit.

Please let me know if you can help. It would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Will

So what year is yours? There were 2 different hole patterns for the steering boxes. The original holes still there so you could use both style boxes?

So they don't pressure test them when they rebuild them?

Last edited:
kind of beside the point but why did "matt" rebuild the box, send it back to you and presumably not mention its flaws? i mean sounds like as soon as you contacted him he knew all about it yet he didnt tell you about it before completing the work but just did the job and then waited to hear it still leaked? i would have thought his preliminary inspection of it would have revealed a rebuild would not serve the purpose.

just curious

one love
jah bill

He looked at it and told one of the guys in his shop to clean it up and see what it looked like. If it looked bad that guy was supposed to contact me and see what i wanted to do. The guy cleaned it up and put it together and after it went out he then told matt the condition of the box.

Dad owns a company so i know matt cant do everything and be everywhere at once. Point is he is gonna rebuild the "new" box for free. Hes doin his best to correct an employees mistake and i commend him for that. I jus have to find a good non rusted up box.

I have a box from an 83 FJ60. The box is goin on a samurai and ive already drilled and sleeved the frame for that bolt pattern box. What years use the bolt patter like on an 83?

Anybody have one of these boxes.

Thanks again for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Will

He looked at it and told one of the guys in his shop to clean it up and see what it looked like. If it looked bad that guy was supposed to contact me and see what i wanted to do. The guy cleaned it up and put it together and after it went out he then told matt the condition of the box.

Dad owns a company so i know matt cant do everything and be everywhere at once. Point is he is gonna rebuild the "new" box for free. Hes doin his best to correct an employees mistake and i commend him for that. I jus have to find a good non rusted up box.

I have a box from an 83 FJ60. The box is goin on a samurai and ive already drilled and sleeved the frame for that bolt pattern box. What years use the bolt patter like on an 83?

Anybody have one of these boxes.

Thanks again for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Will

I had never dealt with Texas Offroad but they had a good reputation, this seems was odd, but it sounds like they'll make it up to you.

Search car-part.com (don't forget the dash) for an 85 model came up with 42 different ones from 600 to 40 bucks.

I have one that I took out because it did not match the frame I was swapping too. Did not leak and has worked fine for years. Its a Nov 81. Pm me.

Sent you a pm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom