Fuel Pump Saga (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HeavyD

GOLD Star
Threads
Here is a brief history.
My 96 with 127k was running like a top, until I got in it a few weeks ago and it would not start. (Luckily, it was parked in my garage at the time.) The motor turned over fine, but it would not fire up. My first thought was the fuel gauge was bad and it was out of gas, so I added a couple of gallons. Nothing.
After a little searching on MUD, I suspected an electrical problem. So I checked the fusible links, fuses, plug wires, battery, etc. The first obvious potential problem was the fusible link at the battery. So I head out to find one locally and of course no one has it in stock, and it takes 2-3 days to get. So while I was waiting on the new one to arrive, I replaced everything else I could think of. I replaced the distributor cap and rotor, the EFI fuse in the engine bay fuse box, the cracked negative battery cable, and removed and cleaned the EFI relay-just in case. After waiting a few days, I went to pick up the part at a local dealer, and of course, they ordered the wrong thing even though I took them the old part so there wouldn't be any confusion. (I guess this is the part where I get flamed for not ordering from Dan.) Finally got the correct part in, installed it, and.....nothing. Still turned over fine, but would not start.

Here is the fusible link:
DSC01051.JPG
DSC01052.JPG

The next thing I checked was to see if the fuel was being delivered to the engine. So I removed the fuel line on top of the engine and tried to start it again and no fuel was coming out. So it must be the fuel pump right? By this time I had learned my lesson and immediately ordered a new fuel pump, gaskets, filter, etc from Dan. He had it all in stock and I received it a few days later. In the mean time, I removed the fuel pump assembly. Which by the way, was MUCH easier than I had planned. Just remove the second row seats, pull up the carpet and there is an access panel on the floor board. While I was waiting on the pump, I was disassembling the pump from the bracket and noticed the wire connector to the pump was fried. I called Dan to get the wires on order and he informed me that the wires cannot be ordered separately, and the entire bracked assembly must be ordered. So another order was placed.

I finally got everything assembled and reinstalled and it started on the first try!!

Here are pics of the wires that are attached to the top of the fuel pump:
DSC01044.JPG
DSC01050.JPG
DSC01045.JPG

Here are a few pics of the fuel pump that has been cut in half. I had it at work and we were curious to see what was going on inside:
DSC01047.JPG
DSC01049.JPG

So I guess my main questions are: is this common, and how dangerous is it having a wire connector melt inside your gas tank. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Interesting to see the wires damaged like that. Perhaps the bearings seized in the motor.

How much did the fuel pump/gaskets/filter run ya?

So I guess my main questions are: is this common, and how dangerous is it having a wire connector melt inside your gas tank. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Before you cut the pump in half :eek: would it turn over by hand?

I wouldn't worry about melted wires with a full tank, however with an empty tank full of fumes that could have been bad.

Interesting to see the wires damaged like that. Perhaps the bearings seized in the motor.

How much did the fuel pump/gaskets/filter run ya?

Thanks to Dan, it was just over $300.00 for everything related to the fuel pump.

As to the comment about danger: Probably, but not likely. Gasoline is only flammable under extreme pressure or in vapor form whichever comes first. Its hard to explain and harder to show but we've put out matches and cigerettes with fuel in demonstrations.

While fuel is in the fuel tank it shouldn't be a danger. remember, heat + pressure = boom. While there is pressure in a gas tank it would be higher than the gas cap would contain.

Just my 2 cents....

Thanks for the awesome pictures!!

Not bad. Does that include the bracket assembly you had to order?

Yes, that includes the fuel pump, gaskets, fuel filter that attaches to fuel pump, and the entire bracket seen above in the pictures. Call CDan if you need exact pricing. If you have never ordered from him, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom