E-Brake problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I can't get the t-case ebrake to work correctly. It's as if the cable is too long no matter how far adjust it. I removed the drum, cleaned everything up and check for actuation, it's working but not enough. Is this a cable length on 350 conversions? This is a 350 with an AA housing, LC 4speed and 3 speed t-case. I searched the archives for about an hour and I didn't find much on this.

Where are you trying to adjust the parking brake at?

You are aware that there is a 10mm head adjusting bolt for the shoes that exits the backing plate of the drum, and that is what is used to adjust the shoes, correct?

I know of parking brake cables being too short, but not too long...

Where are you trying to adjust the parking brake at?

You are aware that there is a 10mm head adjusting bolt for the shoes that exits the backing plate of the drum, and that is what is used to adjust the shoes, correct?

I did adjust it at the 10mm nut, I also used the two big nuts that the firewall, still too long. Maybe it needs new shoes? I can get a caliper on them and post of the pad thickness.

sounds like maybe the cable has streched inside the housing . If the cable bolts in it is almost impossible for it to be to long. How much sticks out in the e-brake at end of shielding ? Is it engaged in brake actuator properly, those little ends are a bitch to get snapped into the arm.

sounds like maybe the cable has streched inside the housing . If the cable bolts in it is almost impossible for it to be to long. How much sticks out in the e-brake at end of shielding ? Is it engaged in brake actuator properly, those little ends are a bitch to get snapped into the arm.

You know what? I don't have a clue if it's installed correctly come to think of it. I installed the cable end inside the wedge shaped piece of metal, and it was a tight fit. I'll post some pics.

The problem I (and maybe one other - see this thread) have experienced is that the parking brake cable appears to be too long relative to the housing. It's OEM, BTW. As described there, my solution was to effectively lengthen the cable housing by inserting a 1-inch spacer above the adjusting barrel.

I've heard that in some years, the parking brake cable was routed through the firewall instead of up through the floor. Maybe that would explain the discrepancy? Just guessing. HTH.
Alfred

A couple of pics

I just rebuilt my P-brake with parts from Cool C. Pic below. The cable shown has a groove cut in on the end. When the cable is installed on the P-brake, a clip is installed in the groove to prevent the cable housing from be pulled into the brake houseing. Does yours have the clip in the groove?
P-cable.jpg
P-brake.jpg

I just rebuilt my P-brake with parts from Cool C. Pic below. The cable shown has a groove cut in on the end. When the cable is installed on the P-brake, a clip is installed in the groove to prevent the cable housing from be pulled into the brake houseing. Does yours have the clip in the groove?

I don't think it does, and that would now appear to be the issue. I'll zip the drum off and look, but I don't remember any clip.

Did you adjust it at the firewall yet? I had the same problem. Adjusted it and at this point it sits stupid tight after 4 clicks.

I would also invest in a new cable if you are still using the original OEM one that came on the truck, I noticed a considerable difference when swapping in a new one, not sure but I think over time the stock cable will stretch and not have as much "pull".

Noah

It wouldn't hurt to recheck your adjustment at the back of the e brake handle. I made a mistake last summer , I was loosening the cable instead of tightening it. Once I realized my mistake everything worked out. My e cable is about 29 years old.
Just a thought.

I put new shoes on my parking (center) brake last night, and now I can hear a very faint squeak when I am running down the road. Is this normal? I adjusted it 2 notches back from completely locked up, and the lever now actuates fully at 5 clicks when pulled.
Also, I was wondering why the FSM specifies that you install the large spring on the bottom from the inside? What a pain that was!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom