steering gearbox leak question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Noticed a bit of oil on my frame just forward of the driver's side front shock tower...after some investigation I noticed that it looks like oil on the power steering gear box...the fittings of the high pressure hoses from the ps pump near the gearbox look wet...and there is clearly oil or something inside the joint protector....PS fluid level is fine and hasn't moved at all for months....I looked in the FSM and it says to check the steering gearbox oil level....where do I look...I only see the top 4 bolts and the adjustment screw...no filler plug to speak of. Could the High Pressure hose be leaking from the top down?....any ideas...

Matt

The oil level is the level in the power steering pump tank. The hose could be leaking as could the seal at the input shaft on the box. Wash it off and check to see where the leak is when it returns.

The FSM indicates that the steering gearbox gets gear oil....there isn't gear oil in the PS pump right?

A non-power steering setup has gear oil in it. The hydraulic assisted steering on the US spec 60s uses hydraulic fluid (actually Dexron ATF) to both lube the gearbox and power the system.

Gotcha....any ideas on common leak points.....the level in the PS Pump Tank has remained at the same level.....but it is definitely "wet" with blackish oil on bottom of the High Pressure Hose down to the steering box....I can really see it if I pull off the little rubber mud guards in the fender well....

Matt

Is there a rebuild kit for this? I suspect my steering box is leaking aswell. All the pressure line are dry in my case but it seems to leaking out of seals. I need to go hose it off with degreaser, let it dry and see where the leak is really coming from.

Eastendmedic looks like we're in the same boat.

I've had two steering boxes leak at the input shaft seal. After reading the procedure for a full rebuild, I decided against doing it. I was able to replace just the seal on the input shaft and have been leak free ever since. I did make some special wrenches to loosen and set the seal holder/bearing race. Do a search as I think there are more details in some older threads.

Has anyone done a complete rebuild on the gearbox... I am pretty sure there is a Toyota kit with new gaskets, etc for this... I am waiting for Dan to get back from Moab but would appreciate any input from someone that has done this or had someone else do it.

New one is PRICEY!

Skool me, please.

Has anyone done a complete rebuild on the gearbox... I am pretty sure there is a Toyota kit with new gaskets, etc for this... I am waiting for Dan to get back from Moab but would appreciate any input from someone that has done this or had someone else do it.

New one is PRICEY!

Skool me, please.

I just did it, got the kit from Cdan. I think it was $114! not cheap. I have done most of my work on rig (lift etc...)and I don't think its worth it. I think send it into Wild texas offroad or somewhere where they will rebuild it for for around the same price.

I also had my box tap for hydro assist but haven't bought the ram or the lines so right now it just has caps over the fittings. The part I messed up is now my steering wheel is way off. I unbolted the steering input shaft had some one hold the it straight, and tightened it back down, but that didn't work. I suspect I didn't put the pitman/steering arm back in the stock location, why? because I forgot to mark it when I took it off:doh:So I'm taking the pitman/steering arm off again this weekend. Plus you need to get creative with of the SST's the FSM calls for.

Just my two cents.

The part I messed up is now my steering wheel is way off. I unbolted the steering input shaft had some one hold the it straight, and tightened it back down, but that didn't work. I suspect I didn't put the pitman/steering arm back in the stock location, why? because I forgot to mark it when I took it off:doh:So I'm taking the pitman/steering arm off again this weekend. Plus you need to get creative with of the SST's the FSM calls for.

Just my two cents.

There are already marks on the pitman arm and cross shaft coming out of the gear box, you just need to make sure these are aligned. See the FSM on this.

HTH

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom