Drive shaft (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What years of drive shafts fit 1972 fj40.I will be doing engine,transmission swap.
I own 1968 fj40 and 1972 fj40
I live in Clovis,Ca

You don't say what swap you are doing, but you can always swap the output flanges, pinion flanges and parking brake drum that match the driveshafts you want to use. If you are going from 3 speed to 4 speed, you will have length problems.

Ed
This may help...............................

http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_flange.html

Do you not have any drive shafts at all? I am in northwest Fresno and trying to build shafts for 72 FJ 40 as well, but I have my originals to start with.

here
Untitled-1.jpg

Thanks this is lot of help.Picked up a 72 fj40 frame and axles shackle reversial ,power steering mounted on frame with no rust.I have about 75% of parts to complete.Going with Chevy V8 700r4 fj40 three speed transfer case. May have to use c v joint for rear drive shaft .

If you are going from 3 speed to 4 speed, you will have length problems.

Ed

Ed,

If I can pick you brain for a sec...

I'm doing a H41 install into my 1970 FJ40 with the 3 Speed Tcase. I'm still collecting parts, but I have the H41 and the AA Tcase input gear kit is on the way. I was curious what to do about driveshafts. I know I'll need a longer front and shorter rear. I was hoping to find a pair of stock 4 speed driveshafts and put my old flanges on them. Does this sound like a good plan, am I missing something?

Thanks,

Kurt

P.S. If anyone has 4 speed driveshaft and/or a top load shifter PM me.

Ed,

If I can pick you brain for a sec...

I'm doing a H41 install into my 1970 FJ40 with the 3 Speed Tcase. I'm still collecting parts, but I have the H41 and the AA Tcase input gear kit is on the way. I was curious what to do about driveshafts. I know I'll need a longer front and shorter rear. I was hoping to find a pair of stock 4 speed driveshafts and put my old flanges on them. Does this sound like a good plan, am I missing something?

Thanks,

Kurt

P.S. If anyone has 4 speed driveshaft and/or a top load shifter PM me.

I ain't the Dentist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night... ;)

Post up in the wanted section, you should not have a problem finding stock four speed drive shafts, and yes, you can just swap the female spline section from yours to make them work on your transfer case end, but you will need to do something about the axle end, or vise-versa...Or, just have your current shafts modified...then you will not have to screw around with different companion flanges and bolt patterns...

:beer:

You might just consider swapping pinion flanges and output flanges to match the 4 speed driveshafts. Wider bolt pattern and beefier bolts, too. Then, like Steve said, it all matches.
I have several flanges that I don't need, but I'd have to check to see exactly what they are. PM me if interested.

GL

Ed

Holiday Inn........indeed.............that's where I went to dental school:flipoff2:

since you are keeping the 3 speed t-case, why not just get your driveshafts modified? San diego driveshaft on morena blvd can do it. they have done a few of mine, and they are not cheap but they do a great job.

since you are keeping the 3 speed t-case, why not just get your driveshafts modified? San diego driveshaft on morena blvd can do it. they have done a few of mine, and they are not cheap but they do a great job.

Agree 100%. It's about $75 per shaft around here. You measure only the flange to flange distance, and they do the rest. I've probably had 10 shafts modded over the last 5 years, and it always turns out well and less expensive than expected. Swapping pinion flanges is a bit of a chore-modifying your shafts is MUCH easier.

One other thing-Ask for the heavier wall tube-it's like $10 more per shaft.

...San diego driveshaft on morena blvd can do it. they have done a few of mine, and they are not cheap but they do a great job.

Brett,

Good advice. I have a bunch of options brewing up and this was low on my list mostly due to the unknown price / shop. Now that I know I think it's a good contender.

...One other thing-Ask for the heavier wall tube-it's like $10 more per shaft.

Drew,

Another good idea, will do.

AA adapter kit came in today...

Now if only I had a day off within the next 10 days :crybaby:

If you are talking about the '68....you'll still have 8mm bolts.....if the '72 10mm bolts. If you go later than '74 you'll have 11mm bolts. Your choice.
If you are mating the H41 to an older 3 speed TC, common sense tells me to replace the seals which means removing the output flanges.
See?

Ed

...common sense tells me to replace the seals which means removing the output flanges.
See?

Ed

Ed,

Since when is sense common?

Good point. But if I'm going to go in that deep, where do I stop? These are the questions that keep me up at night... so much rebuilding left so little time ;)

Thanks

Ed,

Good point. But if I'm going to go in that deep, where do I stop? ;)

Thanks

I've been asking myself that question for the last 7 years I've had a cruiser!!!!!

I'm in d-e-e-p and still going.

The H41 has a silly low 1st gear which means lots of torque. I personally would go with at least the big flanges and bigger...11mm bolts.

Ed:beer:

Holiday Inn........indeed.............that's where I went to dental school:flipoff2:

Here I thought it was a Holiday Inn Express you attended. I heard you were a quick study....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom