BJ60 no fuel getting to primer !? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My BJ60 died the other day. It appears there is no fuel even getting to the primer pump or through the fuel filter. Can anyone help diagnose this problem? I noticed a "blue can" in the fuel line bolted on to the chassis under the rear passenger door. Is this the fuel lift pump? What else could prevent delivery of fuel through the filter and into the injection pump? ...the fuel relay switch? Thanks for the help.

Stranded

My BJ60 died the other day. It appears there is no fuel even getting to the primer pump or through the fuel filter. Can anyone help diagnose this problem? I noticed a "blue can" in the fuel line bolted on to the chassis under the rear passenger door. Is this the fuel lift pump? What else could prevent delivery of fuel through the filter and into the injection pump? ...the fuel relay switch? Thanks for the help.

Stranded

That can on the frame is the water seperater. You are supposed to open the bolt on the bottom every so often and let the water out. No one ever does though and sometimes they rust up, or freeze up and break. Try bypassing it and see if gets you going while you look for another.

Stupid question first (sorry have to ask) is there fuel in the tank? is your guage working?
Once that has been established, when you take the priming pump and start manually pumping it do you get fuel at the fuel filter bleeder?
Has the truck been sitting with an empty tank for a while? debris in the lines or tank?

Other 60 series have had rust problems on the fuel pick up and on the lines in the rear.
There is an access plate in the rear floor above the fule tank.

bypass the water seperator and then blow compressed air back down the line into the tank then leave the hose disconnected that you blew down and put a little air pressure into fuel tank (use a rag to help block the filler ) the fuel should flow freely out of the disconnected hose . reconnect everything ,bleed the system and start it up ......hopefully

Stupid question first (sorry have to ask) is there fuel in the tank? is your guage working?
Once that has been established, when you take the priming pump and start manually pumping it do you get fuel at the fuel filter bleeder?
Has the truck been sitting with an empty tank for a while? debris in the lines or tank?

yes, fuel is in the tank, the guage had been working fine and still appears too...but I do not get fuel at the filter bleeder. The truck has been driven pretty regularly, but has had a 1/2-1/4 tank for a couple weeks. i am going to bypass the separator today and try blowing out the line as suggested. I am guessing rust flakes. there is a lot of rust on this truck. Thank you everyone for the help

Other 60 series have had rust problems on the fuel pick up and on the lines in the rear.
There is an access plate in the rear floor above the fule tank.

That would be my suggestion to, having experienced a rusty pickup at the tank. It usually exibits itself with poor running in high demand 1st though, as the pinhole breaks through, allowing air in. Maybe it is a sudden and almost complete break at the top though.

Do the reverse air pressure cleaning 1st though, in case it is something caught or the screen plugged. Change your fuel filter for good measure too.

Oh, and you are sure your hand primer on the injection pump is working too?

gb

Oh, and you are sure your hand primer on the injection pump is working too?

my best bet .. I got air in the line .. in my 2H and was the primer.

I just had to replace the fuel suction tube on my 60. The truck started to "miss" under heavy load. The miss grew into a full blown studder then on to a stop! This whole process took almost a year. I ran the gammit changing the fuel filter, primer pump, checked all the lines, even dis-connected the EDIC. After doing all this I found what I thought was a leak in in my fuel tank. On closer inspection it was the tube coming out of the tank. The tube on my truck doesn't have a inspection plate so I ended up cutting a 8"x8" hole above the tube for access (I didn't want to drop the tank). I pulled the tube and found it to be very rusty and perforated. Fuel suction tube replaced and not an issue since.

Regards,

sa

Tick question for you.

Tick, I just found the same issue with my tank. The fuel suction tube needs replacing (I know it does because the top is sitting beside me at the moment).

Anyway, where did you get the part? Did you get one at the Toyota dealer nearest you, or did you get it from specter? Did it come with a new gasket?

Any pictures of the new access hole and what did you do to seal it up?

I don't want to drop the tank either :)

Last edited:
Anyway, where did you get the part? Did you get one at the Toyota dealer nearest you, or did you get it from specter? Did it come with a new gasket?

Call your local Toyota dealer...

77240-60011 should be the number for the BJ/HJ60 (no return line on the unit).

hth's

gb

The tanks drop very easily in these things.

Im gonna have to drop mine again and check the pickup, having issues also.

It's hard to believe that I read this thread 7 years ago. :)

This thread hurried up my dropping the tank to check my pickup tube, as I have some kind of delivery issues, somewhere...

Anyways, I was expecting to see this thing rusted right out and the plastic screen to be broken or plugged. But everything looks just fine!!!:cheers:

Should I toss it back in or is there anything I should do to it while it is out? The exposed part of the tube does have some rust on it but I managed to sand most of it off with the help of some fluid film and 100 grit sandpaper.

DSC02531.jpg

DSC02532.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom