80's for your kids - the legacy continues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Evening folks.

I was just reading one of Romer's threads about all the work he did for Rachel and Sarah's LX450's and a thought struck me.... what will I do for my two daughters?

I say this after a pint or three and having contemplated the imminent arrival of my 3rd child on May 17th (hopefully this one won't be late for appointments like dear old dad) as I listen to traditional celtic tunes, so the whole "legacy" theme is in full mode.

That said, it brings me to the point.... what will I do for my daughters (possibly a son) in the coming years? Will I search out for an 80-series and restore it? If so, how available do you guys think that they'll be in the years to come? And I'll qualify that last statement with projections of when I'll need the vehicles.

If I follow the plan of purchasing the cruiser in their 15+ year to begin the slow build-up (which will entail their "apprenticeship" in its restoration to EARN it, and hopefully develop respect for it):

#1 - Maggie - Restoration purchase date: 2018
#2 - Tessa - Restoration purchase date: 2020
#3 - To Be Declared - Restoration purchase date: 2021 (yeah, I know... an "Irish Twin")

So geez, whaddya folks think the availability and condition will be of the stock of 80's then? I'm sure there are other mom's and dad's on this forum who've already come to their own conclusion that they'll put their children in the most capable and inherently safe vehicle possible (possibly even without having read the thread about Daughter of Romer's ARB proving grounds test). So what's gone through other's minds? I'm seriously wondering what to consider for the coming years, plans, etc.

Thanks folks.

Last edited:
I have two daughters, the oldest is 11. I have thought about getting her a '95-'97 LC when she starts driving. It would be a lot safer than sending her out on the roads in a Neon. I do wonder if she would be able to afford to put gas in the thing. I don't forsee gas being any cheaper in 5 years.

I got the '94 for my 16 yo daughter to drive, she likes it except when she drives it to the crunchy-granola earthy events and they look at her a little strangely but that's already been discussed in another thread. I tell her to tell them "Haven't you heard of 'reduce, reuse, recycle'?" The two things I don't like about the '94 is lack of airbags and the gas mileage, but she really is not going to be putting on any significant miles.

The 14-yo has her eye on my 300ZX... They were "born" the same year so she has a bond with it.

I'm concerned that the price of fuel will eventually make it a moot point for me. My plan is to keep the '92 around and let them borrow that.

Hate to say it, but the 80's will be harder to own if fuel prices keep climbing. Its about $3 a gal. here in Colorado, that does not bother me so much, but what about $5? The observation if they will be able to afford to put gas in it is a concern. I'm hoping the future of Land Cruisers will be strong, with a diesel under the hood in the states. That way future generations can enjoy also.

BTW, psfpilot, the pic wouldn't be out the back of a herc would it?

My wife and I own two '96 FZJ80s and a 2001 Z28. We have twins. We have been toying wtih the idea of giving choice to the boy with the highest GPA when they reach 18. They're 5 now, so this could change. I'm not sure if I'll be ready to give up my toys by then. :)

Fuel prices will hurt, but I find it hard to think that another vehicle will provide the same utility as my 80. It is not my DD, no reason to haul around 165lbs with so many empty cubic feet, and we've driven it to the beach ONCE. We have more fuel efficient vehicles in the stable, and they get used the most as they are more fitting to the task. I would get rid of my 300ZX and get a Sentra before I'll sell the 80. I had a Maxima that could achieve 30MPG on long trips w. 5 adults, but sold it because I kept trying to use it as a truck on the weekends and it just wasn't working. The :princess: didn't like me hauling landscape materials in the Odyssey, so I found something that could handle my (occasional) need. My DD was the Maxima, now it's the 300ZX, but even it only has 64K miles on the odo. We just don't drive enough miles in a year for fuel efficiency to be a top priority.

Hate to say it, but the 80's will be harder to own if fuel prices keep climbing. Its about $3 a gal. here in Colorado, that does not bother me so much, but what about $5? The observation if they will be able to afford to put gas in it is a concern. I'm hoping the future of Land Cruisers will be strong, with a diesel under the hood in the states. That way future generations can enjoy also.

BTW, psfpilot, the pic wouldn't be out the back of a herc would it?
When (if) the 3FE gives out, I'd like to install a 4BT or 12HT and run WVO/biodiesel. I don't think it's a matter of having to refurbish the Cruiser for the kids so much as have cheap energy to power it. China and India's middle classes are exploding; that may put a permanent pinch on cheap oil.
Why, as a matter of fact, it is a Herc. That's the Army's Silver Wings demonstration team taking some practice HALO jumps. I'm trading the Herc for a T-6 in a few months- no more sandbox for me for a few years. Did you fly a Herc?

I'll strip my 80 and sell it to you when the time comes. The gas mileage is like smoking cigarettes. Which by the way I'm glad I don't do.

Instead of "hmm, I think I'll smoke a cigarette;" it's "eh, there's no harm in driving random places way out of the way at midnight."

I'm getting terrible gas mileage right now, I deliver pizzas, and I fill up about every 3 days.

And I live in northern California. $3.30 a gallon. And I'm saving up for college classes, a plane ticket to Hawaii, and a lift.

Plus I'm a compulsive buyer. If something looks interesting to me, I'll buy it.

I'll probably be living in it when you give me the call that you want to buy it, but I'll definitely be ready to move onto the 100 series, which will probably be the latest series I can afford in 15 years.

I just bought my 15 year old a 92 FJ80 with 160k for $3800 to drive when he turns 16. He has to pay for 1/2 of it over time. Needs about $1500 of work this next year I figure. We have a deal between us....one year of him learning about the rig before he can drive it, ie: PM and all the systems. We are doing it month by month....fuel, electrical, brakes, etc. So next year he should have a little knowledge, a big safe car to drive and something he cannot afford (gas) to drive TOO much.
Now we have had 7 Landcruisers in our family in the last 28 years.....and own 4 now...so he is a Cruiser brat. Hopefully he will love and appreciate it! He loves my fj60 now.

My dad gave me his FJ80 last month, I'm going to hold onto it for a pretty long time. All of my money is going into it.

I hope 80s becoming a modern classic!!
Were impoted by the thousands here but are now becoming scarce,tidy ones especially so.

I agree, these things make great first vehicles for our kids some day. My truck is so slow, it can't get out of it's own way;)

I figure by the time my son really "builds it" it will be even slower!

On a different note, I for one am sick of Americans complaining about the price of gas! Go to Canada and buy a liter of fuel or most any other country, for that matter, for comparison. The 80 really isn't bad on gas, relative to it's capabilities. Sell your 80 or make more cash!

There are some interesting facts here, including this chart....
http://www.factsonfuel.org/gasoline/index.html
gasinflation.jpg

Last edited:
Just heard on NPR this morning that petrol price in England is equivalent to $10USD/gal. Heavily taxed (80%). People there spend a LOT more time talking about fuel efficiency of their vehicles, carbon emissions, "food miles" (energy expended to get food on your plate), etc.

Which makes me wonder... Why don't we have more Brits on mud? Are there ANY?

Right now here in BC regular works out to $4.89 a gallon. It hasn't been below $4 in years.

Having a GTO growing up, there is no way I would let my kid have a fast car, the 80 would be perfect. Finding a good 80 in 15 years may be difficult, look at what is out there now. Just like I should have done with the GTO, keep it, drive it very little, or store it.

Back to the gas thing, the goat maybe got 10 mpg or so. Even with the lower fuel prices 20 or so years ago, I still could barely put fuel in the tank. Slow vehicle, expensive to drive = safe, perfect for a teenager :cool:.

I've seen my fare share of HALO's out the back, thought the view might be better from the front. 39th TAS, Pope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom