Safety /Emissions Test in Utah (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm in the process of moving to Utah and was wondering if someone could tell me what the emissions test in Utah encompasses. I have a 1973 FJ40 registered in a state that does not have safety/emissions and therefore it does not have any smog control. Will this cause a problem registering it in Utah? Do they just hook up a tester to the tailpipe or do they also look for smog/pollution control items that should be included on a 73 model. To make things more complicated the 40 has a 1978 2F engine in it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Safety test

Your cruiser is pre smog but the safety part you will have to pass. They basically check that all your lights work (turn signals and brakes)and they check your wipers as well as your horn. I had to install a working horn in my forty once, as well as repair a rust hole in my muffler in order to pass. I used to take my 66 forty to the "se habla espanol" places on State street because they didn't seem to be as picky as everyone else. Plus it was sorta funny watching the looks I would get as they attempted to negotiate my no power steering cruiser with 33s into their little stalls and then administer some crazy brake test where they drive about five miles an hour straight into the stall and jam on the brakes. With a 350 to cruiser 4 speed and no power steering with drum brakes it turned out to be a good time for all onlookers. A Kodak moment for sure. No big cracks in your windshield either. I think that's about it. Good luck.

it depends on your county, Utah County and Salt Lake County have pretty strict emissions but other counties dont have any emissions requirements just a visual inspection. What city are you moving too?

I believe 68 and older have no emmissions test anywhere, but 69 or newer do in Salt Lake, Davis, and Utah counties, which is where most people live.

Wasatch county = no emmissions. Goodbye smog pump soon!

Cali is 75 and older utah is 68 and older for the no emissions. As stated most places don't know what they're looking for when they are in a 40 so if it passes the major exterior safety (lights, horns, brakes, etc) major interior (belts, etc) and the sniffer (depending on city) you're golden

Just moved to Utah my self and went and got my state inspectors lic , the book is on my tool box .
The part im in St George does not have emmissions just safety .
if you need info just ask .
fj55-100

I have owned my 73 FJ40 since 1993. It has a built v8 with no smog equipment. It has passed every smog test- way below the maximum allowed. Just make sure it is tuned up and running the good. Basically if you fall within the "sniffer" specs you will be just fine.
I know in SL county everything 1967 and older does not require emmissions testing. 68 & newer does.

Like the others have asked, what part of Utah are you moving to?

I believe 68 and older have no emmissions test anywhere, but 69 or newer do in Salt Lake, Davis, and Utah counties, which is where most people live.

Wasatch county = no emmissions. Goodbye smog pump soon!

Benson are you moving to Wasatch county? We have a couple of cruisers here in Heber let me know if you want to go for a run sometime..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom