First Generation Toy Pick up as a DD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I like the original styling of the first generation PU's. I want to start looking into one for DD purposes. I checked the FAQ and its mostly about getting it off road ready. Is there a certain thread you guys could point me too about what to look for in getting one. I was also wondering what MPG a close to stock PU will get? Thanks for the help and I will be keeping my eyes peeled for one.

-Al:beer:

The "best year mini" thread by Landpimp has a lot of good info, but in short, the 79s had a 20r and 4speed, the 80s had 20r or 22r and a 4 speed. 81s had a 22r and a kinda crappy 5speed. 82-83 had a better 5 speed with the 22r but they lost the round head lights. If you run 29 inch tires or 235/75s, it will make an excellent DD, and I got 20 mpg a couple times with that set up, but I wasn't really worried about gas mileage when it only cost 1.37....

Edit: heres the link https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=36925&highlight=year+mini

Thanks for the link I was just checking that out. I saw about 2 diesel minis in Florida since I've been here. Where they sold in the u.s. or were both of them imports?

So after reading that thread it seems like I am after a 1983 p/u. but still love the looks of the round fenders and lights. I hope I can find a clean one, Florida normally has some fairly clean trucks with great frames and if they are rusted its around window seals. If I luck out GA would be the place to get one becuase of very low rust.....I guess the search is on...

Thanks for the help. I will strive to keep in tune enough to get 20 and above mpg.

My Dad had an '81 Diesel 2WD long bed 5spd he bought new in VA. Great mileage but slow as molasses. He had transmission trouble with it and it started blowing "glow plugs" after several years.

-Mark

My Dad had an '81 Diesel 2WD long bed 5spd he bought new in VA. Great mileage but slow as molasses. He had transmission trouble with it and it started blowing "glow plugs" after several years.

-Mark

That is awesome, Thats what im after....Mileage.

So after reading that thread it seems like I am after a 1983 p/u. but still love the looks of the round fenders and lights.

The 82-83s still had the round fenders, but with square lights. The biggest problem with these rigs is keeping all the 20 odd year old vacuum stuff working. I know that the 4wd minis with diesels are very hard to find, but you could look for one with a bad motor and swap in the 22r-TE engine for a bit better mileage, or even do a diesel swap with a volkswagen engine, Jeep liberty CRD or see about importing a toyota engine.

The 82-83s still had the round fenders, but with square lights. The biggest problem with these rigs is keeping all the 20 odd year old vacuum stuff working. I know that the 4wd minis with diesels are very hard to find, but you could look for one with a bad motor and swap in the 22r-TE engine for a bit better mileage, or even do a diesel swap with a volkswagen engine, Jeep liberty CRD or see about importing a toyota engine.

How bad is it to keep the vac systems working? is it much worse than the 40ft found under a fj60 hood? Thanks for the info again.

I had an 83 with a 5 speed transmission, long bed 4x4 etc. It Barely had 100,000 miles on it! I put 31x10.5's on it and it was still fine on mileage and power. Was probably the best daily driver I have ever owned! Be patient when looking, sometimes you can find a gem and its worth it. Wish I hadnt sold mine, but then I wouldnt have my 40!

My 22r in my 84 doesnt have near the amount of crap under the hood that my 60 USED to have. My 80 pickup with a 20r had a lot more vacuum stuff if I remember right. I'd find an 80 pickup with a blown motor (trust me you'll get it cheap!), and put a 22r in it. It will bolt right in, and 22r's are a dime a dozen and cheap, atleast around here. For dd I'd get a 2wd and put a downey lift or something on it, prerunner style.

The "best year mini" thread by Landpimp has a lot of good info, but in short, the 79s had a 20r and 4speed, the 80s had 20r or 22r and a 4 speed. 81s had a 22r and a kinda crappy 5speed. 82-83 had a better 5 speed with the 22r but they lost the round head lights. If you run 29 inch tires or 235/75s, it will make an excellent DD, and I got 20 mpg a couple times with that set up, but I wasn't really worried about gas mileage when it only cost 1.37....

Edit: heres the link https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=36925&highlight=year+mini
1.37???For A Gallon Of Gas? Are You Serious? Here In Roy Utah Its Up To 2.93 Right Now!

That was a couple years ago when I actually had that rig......

Found a sweet diesel one for sale in the for sale section but the guy doesnt want to hold it for me til the end of the summer. But, I am going to check out a 1980 tomorrow with hardly any rust. And if its true Ill be getting it on the spot, Its an older lady selling it original owner they put a 5 speed in it last year got a new truck this year and doesnt drive it any more. She said she would hold it for me til I got rid of my other cruiser. ( I dont have room for 3 vehicles)

I really wanted a diesel but if its really rust free I rather get this and swap in a diesel later. There is a guy in Florida that only imports diesels and can get his hands on a few diesel motors from toyota...

Ill post up some pictures if I end up getting lucky..

-Al

ummm not to sound stupid or anything but what exactly is a 1st generation p/u?
i have a 1990, what would that be considered?
Expo060.jpg

o umm sbout the toyota snob thing... you do know that lexus is made by toyota rite?

hahaha alrite i just had to make sure lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom