Split Transfer Case (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Butchk

SILVER Star
Threads
I've been reading this Forum for sometime now. I've learned alot from it, but now I'm interested in a split transfer case. I'm in the works of a frame off on my 78/40. Pulled the Engine last weekend. I will stay with the I6 but have plans to go as far as I can go on the build. I'm now interested in going to a Split TC. I've been reading a little here and there about it but still not clear about what year will fit behind a 78 trans. With all the experties out there can someone point me in the right direction. Other mods. Sag PS, Hysteer, lift 4" rear 2.5 Front. Front Shackle reversal, f/r lockers, colum change, painless wireing,

Butchk

None of the split cases will fit behind the 78 transmission. You need a 4 speed with the 19 spline output. They came in all FJ60s but for your application, you want one from 81-84.

The other option would be to swap the tranny output shaft for a later one, but that's likely more expensive than a whole working tranny.

What do you plan to do for an emergency brake?

How hard is it to swap output shafts from one H4x tranny to another? What special tools are required?

I consider a gear puller a "special tool", so be explicit, please. :D

How hard is it to swap output shafts from one H4x tranny to another? What special tools are required?

I consider a gear puller a "special tool", so be explicit, please. :D

You can get a good condition 19 spline 4spd, either the long or short variety for a lot less than the time in screwing around with swapping the shafts....

None of the split cases will fit behind the 78 transmission. You need a 4 speed with the 19 spline output. They came in all FJ60s but for your application, you want one from 81-84.

The other option would be to swap the tranny output shaft for a later one, but that's likely more expensive than a whole working tranny.

What do you plan to do for an emergency brake?

Haven't thought about the emergency brake. Maybe a line lock. In the early 70s I had a 70/40. We never thought much about brakes. They was always out of ajustment and relied on the trany to help stop us. But that was when I was young and crazy.

You can get a good condition 19 spline 4spd, either the long or short variety for a lot less than the time in screwing around with swapping the shafts....
Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the granny-geared 4spd I've got is for a gasser, and I want to attach it to my 3B diesel. :)

So, how hard is it to swap input shafts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom