wiring up electric radiator fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What is the best way to wire up a fan so that I dont physically have to flip a switch. Is there a switch out there that will kick on the fan at a certain temp?

Thanks Crustyman

Install a thermostat switch in one of the spare holes in the water neck (thermostat). Wire the fan and switch to a relay. Done.

I used a SPAL fan control, google SPAL USA and it should come up. It's really easy to install and works great. I think I spent around 100 bucks or so on the control module and a temp sender unit that I installed in the one of the spare holes on the engine (mine in the side near the head). I run it with a taurus fan I bought on the board here.

In addition, I hooked up a switch (on-off-on). The first setting runs the fan full on (in case you need to cool real quick) then the second "on" runs the fan via the controller's settings. Its a variable speed fan control, so it speeds and slows the fan based on how hot your motor is. When you run it intially you set a hi and low temp on the unit from which it bases it cooling temps from.

you can get adjustable thermostats at advance auto parts...

if you don't live near one or have access to it, i can get it and send it to you...

the thermostat just slips in the upper radiator hose and you use a dial to tune in when you want it to come on..

Jegs, Summit, and most auto parts stores have thermostat controlled relays. Seach here and on Pirate for diagrams. I did all that, wired one up myself. It was easy and worked great. The next time, I got a variable speed control from http://www.dccontrol.com/. It was really plug and play. Easily adjustable and becuse of the variable speed, there are no voltage spikes when the fan kicks on and off. I've been running it for about 6 mos. Love it. FWIW.

Wire in a relay that turns on a light on the dash when its OFF or has no current going to the fans. This is very handy if you blow a fuse and loose the fan. It doesn't take long to over heat when your in the tough stiff and you mind is elsewhere. Don't ask me how i know!

You can also get a buzzer that runs off your gauge (electric) that goes off once the voltage reaches a set level. it just spices into the wires from the sender.

Wire in a relay that turns on a light on the dash when its OFF or has no current going to the fans. This is very handy if you blow a fuse and loose the fan. It doesn't take long to over heat when your in the tough stiff and you mind is elsewhere. Don't ask me how i know!

You can also get a buzzer that runs off your gauge (electric) that goes off once the voltage reaches a set level. it just spices into the wires from the sender.

These are good ideas, but I've had such problems over heating in the past, that I am pretty much fixaed on the temp gauge. I think I'd know EXACTLY when it starts to get hot.

man those are nice but I paid $17 for mine at checker............

Jegs, Summit, and most auto parts stores have thermostat controlled relays. Seach here and on Pirate for diagrams. I did all that, wired one up myself. It was easy and worked great. The next time, I got a variable speed control from http://www.dccontrol.com/. It was really plug and play. Easily adjustable and becuse of the variable speed, there are no voltage spikes when the fan kicks on and off. I've been running it for about 6 mos. Love it. FWIW.

I used a Perma-Cool turbo flex electric fan thermal switch #19003. I got it at Jegs. You JB weld the thing to the thermostat housing or as close to it as possible. It operates at 170F. It has 2 wires. One goes to the keyed on (ignition) and the other to the fan relay. You can also wire your fan to a switch, so that you can turn it on all the time or turn it off for water crossings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom