Its my birthday so I got a bumper or 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I had been wanting a bumper for my 80 and got tired of waiting for a good tube bumper to come out for a 80 series, so I did some research and looked at many types out there, not a fan of plate steel so I passed on what Slee or ARB had, not that there is anything wrong with them, but not what I wanted

anyways after a week of fab, my birthday bumper for my 97:D

has a plate for a which but Im holding off on that for a while, will exit through the angle plate

raw steel till after CM then black wrinkle powdercoat
Photo_042607_006.jpg
Photo_042607_007.jpg
Photo_042607_012.jpg

thanks, 1" .92 tube, just didnt feel right leaving that hanging out, will see about going to the short dryer, I need a recharge anyways

looks awesome! How much, if you don't mind me asking, did this end up costing you?

well to do it again 1400, I gave the idea to a fabricator here who does buggies, he lost his ass on this one, but I asked him if he had to price it again and he said 1400$ front and 1600 rear, I will keep the rear out till I get better pics tommorow

Wow, thats alot more than I imagined. I assumed those home fab type ones were cheaper than ARBs.

it wasnt the materials, but if you look at the cost of a Slee front or Arb front and a any common rear, your at the same price 3000+/-

Love the drier loop, also. I also like two other things - how well it protect the fogs from people parking by braille and also that the center hoop is menacing enough that these same people will not even try the braille method with your truck 'cause that thing will go through a minivan (popular braille parkers) back window as the first point of contact. Heh. Love it.

I do have reservations about your recovery eyes. I'm sure you'll tell me they're thick and mounted well but if that's a single fastener and it's being pulled at right angles to its shank it's a bad combo. It may also be cast and therefore perhaps brittle. I do like that it's protected from trail strikes, though.

DougM

Love the drier loop, also. I also like two other things - how well it protect the fogs from people parking by braille and also that the center hoop is menacing enough that these same people will not even try the braille method with your truck 'cause that thing will go through a minivan (popular braille parkers) back window as the first point of contact. Heh. Love it.

I do have reservations about your recovery eyes. I'm sure you'll tell me they're thick and mounted well but if that's a single fastener and it's being pulled at right angles to its shank it's a bad combo. It may also be cast and therefore perhaps brittle. I do like that it's protected from trail strikes, though.

DougM

thanks, I will take some tighter pics tommorw, I had the choice of putting those in the front in line with the frame rails or up and out of the way, I went with the tucked away for my own reasons, they are cast, I however dont intend to get pulled up the waterfall at Upper Helldorado but need a basic anchor for regular pulls, time will tell on that.

I'm with you, but keep in mind "time will tell" may include a serious injury to whomever's pulling on you in that learning curve. The part's going away from you in failure mode.

DougM

Thanks, heres part two

still like tube, saw a couple of nice tube bumpers here, and I have always been a fan of Clifton Slay, Posion Spider Customs, rear stinger bumper

so this is what we came up with
Photo_042707_005.jpg
Photo_042707_006.jpg
Photo_042707_014.jpg

tire rack is leaned into the body by about 5degrees, when its upright it holds itself into the rack without clips,

I like how it protects the taillights, but in my town you'd get a ticket for obscured brake and tail lights. Boy, I'm just full of criticism, eh? Heh.

DougM

I use my cargo area, that would be too much of a PITA :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom