if not CDan, then where do you get your parts? (1 Viewer)

If not from CDan, then where?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MDarius

I break stuff.
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm in for a new starter today. I don't want to order from Cdan today, it takes too long for what I need today. So, if you don't want to pay local dealer prices, but want good parts, where do you buy your parts from?

You don't... Make friends with the local toyota parts guy then you can get the same discount

Blasphemy!!! (Well, maybe NAPA on some things...).

Riley

My 80 so far, gets Toyota OEM parts. I will admit, my other Cruisers have the odd Napa part, since I live near a regional warehouse, and they have a surprising number of old Land Cruiser parts available.

Brad at Menlove Toyota in Bountiful is very good with landcruiser parts. I've spent thousands of dollars there myself.

We get a TLCA and local club discount at the local dealer thats about what Cdan does. When I can wait a couple of days, I order from Cdan and save money because there is no sales tax and no shipping on orders above $100. If I am in a hurry, I go to the local dealer.

Besides, nice to hear the gruffy voice now and then who tells you what other parts you also need to finsih the job.

I looked at a thermostat for an 80 from Toyota and Napa and there is a world of difference.

If I am looking for wire, cables, misc stuff I do go to the local parts stores (Napa, Autozone, etc.)

C-Dan for factory, Kurt @ cruiseroutfitters.com for the rest, both great to do biz with. For local parts BAP Imports is good.

All my Toyota parts come from CDan-the-Man. :)

I haven't needed anything so far that I couldn't wait a day or two (yet -- knock on wood).

You just can't beat the vast knowledge, quick turnaround, most parts onhand (even obscure ones), always the right parts, never have to research myself (except here on MUD), free shipping, no sales tax, feed the dogs, great karma service that you get from The Man. :grinpimp:

For non-Toyota supplies/parts, I use Napa.

Dan.

I can usually get the parts in the same time or less through Dan than I can at my local dealership. Plus, my local charges 15% ABOVE Toyota suggested list.

If I have to get running and can't wait, I'll get the parts from aftermarket sources locally and order the part from Dan then change it out later and have a spare.

All my Toyota parts come from CDan-the-Man. :)

I haven't needed anything so far that I couldn't wait a day or two (yet -- knock on wood).

You just can't beat the vast knowledge, quick turnaround, most parts onhand (even obscure ones), always the right parts, never have to research myself (except here on MUD), free shipping, no sales tax, feed the dogs, great karma service that you get from The Man. :grinpimp:

For non-Toyota supplies/parts, I use Napa.

You've got a little something on your nose there...looks a little like mud. ;)

FYI and FWIW, I called all over...not Bountiful yet, and the only place that had a starter that I would trust is CDan at American Toyota. He's in Moab (I think) but Tom is taking care of me. I'll wait a couple days for a Toyota starter. As much as it sounds like brown nosing, I have to agree with Hants.

I have 5 Toyota dealerships in my general area...and 2 Lexus dealerships.

I have 7 options for parts for my rig.

Aside from 1 wiper-blade that I needed to replace because it disintegrated and a few gallons of Toyota Red Coolant...when I've paid for the repairs, the parts have always come from CDan.

I haven't quite figured it out yet, but the parts guys in my area are either asshats or idiots...I have yet to meet a decent one yet. To top it off, they don't seem to ever have the part I need in stock when I need it.

For stuff that I know I'll need, I order ahead. For emergencies, I call Dan...if at all possible, he'll get the part to me (or to where my rig is) when needed.

Obviously, there's no way to plan for everything, but if you pay attention to your rig, you kinda get a sense of what you're gonna need.

Plan ahead and order ahead is what I try to do.

So far only Dan or the local dealership when in for warranty work...Although, I must admit I did buy a bulb from Checker...It was just a wittle tiny bulb honest...The one that lights up the center console gear indicator dealyo so. Must do my part to keep Dan's voodoo magic away.

OEM parts are the best quality, absolute correct fit, not always easy to pick up on a weekend, sometimes a lot more money, sometimes about the same money and even sometimes cheaper.

Sometimes it's any port in a storm when you have an urgent need.

If it looks pretty good, fits right and you gotta get moving, of course you do it.

To answer the questions in my PM box of 'Who is CDan?', Cruiserdan is his user name. He works for American Toyota in New Mexico and treats Ih8mud members fairly. Even after shipping, parts are generally a better deal than local dealers can do / will do for you. He knows all, tells as much as you ask, and is reported to have super powers to curse / bless your LC from thousands of miles away. I think the Karma is better if you've purchased your silver star. I think he is in Moab right now getting ready for CM07. If so, he must have a Sprint card, because he responded to this thread while I was typing.

(Some of you have full PM boxes, so I couldn't respond directly. By a Silver Star and you can get more messages.)

To answer the questions in my PM box of 'Who is CDan?', Cruiserdan is his user name. He works for American Toyota in New Mexico and treats Ih8mud members fairly. Even after shipping, parts are generally a better deal than local dealers can do / will do for you. He knows all, tells as much as you ask, and is reported to have super powers to curse / bless your LC from thousands of miles away. I think the Karma is better if you've purchased your silver star. I think he is in Moab right now getting ready for CM07. If so, he must have a Sprint card, because he responded to this thread while I was typing.

(Some of you have full PM boxes, so I couldn't respond directly. By a Silver Star and you can get more messages.)

So, how do you order parts from CruiserDan?

Does anyone else have a problem with NAPA employees being assholes? They have this "You should have known that, idiot" kind of attitude.

I used to get parts from Champion Toyota in Houston because with my TLCA discount they were the cheepest I could find... but now I buy from Dan...this isn't intended as a plug for Dan but it does make sense to use him for several reasons

1. he has it in stock always on my porch in 3 days,
2. he knows what he is doing.
3. he is close in price or less than I can get even if I know someone..
4, great advice on how you should do it... (we dont always listen)
5. he sounds like the grumpy guys I work with
6. and he has dogs to feed...

On the aftermarket parts, I have had several instances where I should have bought factory parts,

The latest was a Radiator that I bought 2 years ago, the factory one was about 400$ so I bought an aftermarket for 160$.. the other day I walk out of work to see my 2 year old radiator leaking,,, bottom tank was leaking badly... so I call dan and a new radiator is now 450 and I gladly pay it thinking if I had done it this way the last time I would be ahead 210 $ and 4 hrs to change it...

Remember these are not cheep vehicles and if you buy cheep parts you will not have the reliabilty that toyota is known for. Except for some hoses and wiring most everything I buy is Toyota -- because I have been burned to many times on aftermarket even Napa...

You've got a little something on your nose there...looks a little like mud. ;)

Hey, man, whatever it takes to keep the voodoo pin holstered (or at least not pointed at my :princess:. :smokin:

And, to fess up, I do buy my Toyota Red from the local dealer. $$$, but its Hazmat so CDan can't ship it.

Oh, and while I was there last time, I bought some Toyota White Grease, too. :eek:

So, how do you order parts from CruiserDan?

Go to the Vendors section of the forum to find his contact info, or click on the American Toyota banner ad that pops up periodically at the top of the page.

He may already be on his way to CM07. If he's not there, leave a VM. You can talk to his associates -- they'll help, and give you the MUD pricing if you mention it, but they're not The Man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom