To the people that use their FJC as a daily driver / commuter: (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was searching for threads that relate to this topic, and came up with a couple. I thought I'd create this thread so that it would be easier to find (better wording in the title).

Now that the FJ has been out for some time, how has your experience been so far? I was looking at 01-02 3rd gen 4Runners, but the prices are in the $17-18k range with 80k miles. I'd rather pony up a few more grand and get something with less miles or brand new. So now I'm looking at 4th gen 4Runners, Tacoma's and an FJC. This will be my daily driver. I do not have a family. The Tacoma would be really nice, but they are just a tad too big for me. The new 4Runners are nice, too, but I am not too crazy about the looks (I guess I just love the 3rd Gen's a lot more--used to have a 98). I think the new FJ's would be the perfect size for me.

I also commute about 100 miles a day. For those that commute and use it daily (around town, highway), how has your experience been? Anything I need to know?

If this comes up regularly, please point me to those threads, and I apologize for not being too thorough. Here is probably the best archived thread I found:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=120302&highlight=daily+driver

Thanks, all.

It's only OK as a commuter; the visibility sucks, especially if your commute involves traffic. I had an '05 Taco Dbl cab that was much better as a comuter and I liked the bed and 6500# tow capacity.

I wouldn't put 100 miles a day on one, just because there are better ways to use a new FJC. If I had the big of a commute, I would let it sit in the driveway/garage and get an old high mileage beater of your choice.

But, if you were to do such, I don't find any issues with visibility, its something you get used to. Mileage isn't stellar, it is comfortable on the freeway/highways, has positive road manners and external road noise doesn't invade the interior too badly. The windows do create plenty of baffling with them down fully, be prepared for the wind blast.

But, again, it is NOT a commuter vehicle...

i use mine as a DD commuter and likewise have no family. the size is pretty near perfect, not huge but not cramped (i'm 6'1" and can just barely reach the passenger window controlls on the p side, no that i need to do so but, for reference) the utilitarian format is welcome to me as i dont like a lot of clutter yet i tend to be messy. not having loads of little compartments helps keep it clean. the milage as mentioned isint stellar but i assume that since you're looking at 4rnrs and tacos you know what to expect. honestly if you plan to own the truck for the duration i'd have a hard time selecting a better commuter. its comfortable (i put on about 60-100mi a day), has pertty good road manners for an SUV (not friends with the wind though) and they built the thing to be exteremly reliable, even for a yota. i mean its got a belt driven fan, not high tech, but this truck is obviously made for 300k+mi. pickup is very good and i havent noticed much differenc in milage weatehr i'm light on the throttle or not. as mentioned the visibility issues are a factor but aslong as you dont do jackass lane changes that should be minimized. no its not desinged as a commuter, but it will fill the role very well IMO. unless you need cushy appointments like leather, navi, heated seats and crap. the FJ is truly built to function. i know that sounds kinda obvious but what i mean is that is role is to perfom, on road or off, good weatehr or bad, anywhere, anytime, forever. personally i cant wait to get 300-400k miles on it.

My wife commutes about an hour each way in her FJC. She loves it other than the rear visability. Often people will get so close on the highway that she can't see them at all. It's comfortable, sits up high and is very safe. I'm much happier paying the gas bills than worrying about her in her old Echo.

She gets about the same mileage as my new Tundra. :eek: :crybaby:

I drive mine all the time, and love it. The whole "it has blind spots" thing is really a non-issue for those who drive it daily. Like anything else, you get to the point you don't even notice 'blind spots' because you've worked around em.

I agree with folks that the FJC is fun to drive and wheel with, but I'd think twice about making it a 100-mile daily driver. Sure it's a nice ride, blind spots are managable, and handling even gets better with an OME suspension. But, at your 100 mile per day rate, you may not like pulling up to the PREMIUM pump every two days. IMO, they should have installed a larger tank.

Good luck in your decission.

I commute with mine 4 days/week for 120mi (round trip) - interstate.

• MPGs remain at 20, regardless of whether I use A/C.
  • Using mid-grade reduces mpgs to balance the additional cost of using the recommended fuel (premium).
  • Nuances such as braking, visibility, etc are simply part of getting to know the vehicle and are considerably different than that of my Acura TL (what I traded) or my Jeep YJ.
  • Performance is pretty impressive for a "truck", but I still wish Toyota would have installed the Tundra's V8, which offers the same mpgs and more gusto.
  • Braking is amazing
  • Back-up sensors are handy in tight spots (1st time owner/user of these)
  • Inconveniences such as 'no rear window release button/remote and poor rear door opener design (inside the door, rather than in the door recess - like the Honda Element) are minor annoyances I have learned to live with.
  • Seating position, ride quality, dBs, and driveability are all excellent.
  • The upgraded stereo speakers (adding the sub) SUCK. Having tiny rear fill speakers in the far back, primaries at your feet, and front fill firing up into the windshield recess (from the dash) offer very poor acoustical presentation. I was expecting to hear a soundstage on par with that of my wife's Element, which was several thousand cheaper. I forgot how lacking Toyota is with their sound design.
  • Fun to drive factor is extremely high, especially if you like to go on mild off-road adventures without pre-planning.

Thanks, guys. I am a bit turned off that it requires premium gas and still gets the same MPG as the Tacoma/4Runner and makes relatively the same power. I, too, wish that Toyota would've either just put in a 4.7 V8 or the Tacoma 4.0.

But, I do like the styling more and more everytime I see one. Hopefully, the test drive will not disappoint.

I am a bit turned off that it requires premium gas and still gets the same MPG as the Tacoma/4Runner and makes relatively the same power. I, too, wish that Toyota would've either just put in a 4.7 V8 or the Tacoma 4.0.

Toyota recommends premium, but you can still use regular unleaded if you don't mind the decrease in power = same as the Tacoma's ratings. The 4.0L is the same in both the Tacoma and FJC (10.0:1 compression).

Toyota recommends premium, but you can still use regular unleaded if you don't mind the decrease in power = same as the Tacoma's ratings. The 4.0L is the same in both the Tacoma and FJC (10.0:1 compression).

Thanks. I'm going through the 1,000,000 page archives of "gas" threads over at fjcruiserforums. :D Seems like they changed "premium required" to "recommended."

Fun vehicle to drive but you could do much better for a 100 miles per day commute vehicle. You could find a cheaper vehicle that is still fun to drive and gets better mpg, less blind spots and better mirrors.

We us ours as our daily driver but we don't commute to work and don't drive in traffic much so it's not a problem for us. If I had to parallel park more often, I'd either get very good at it in the FJ or I'd use something else.

DEWFPO

Fun vehicle to drive but you could do much better for a 100 miles per day commute vehicle. You could find a cheaper vehicle that is still fun to drive and gets better mpg, less blind spots and better mirrors.

We us ours as our daily driver but we don't commute to work and don't drive in traffic much so it's not a problem for us. If I had to parallel park more often, I'd either get very good at it in the FJ or I'd use something else.

DEWFPO

Thanks for the feedback. I never hit traffic on my commutes. It's just me and the highway. So even if I had a Porsche GT3 RS, it would feel just the same going 75mph in that or with a FJC. (though I would be VERY tempted to hit triple digits more often :D)

Realistically, I COULD get a Honda Civic to commute in, which would get twice the MPG and relatively fun to drive. But, the extra insurance cost, extra space in the driveway, the actual cost of the vehicle, etc. would negate the difference in MPG factor. That is my main reasoning behind getting just one vehicle.

Test drove the FJC yesterday. I see what you guys mean by the blind spot. It drove nice, though, otherwise.

Still debating between the FJC and Tacoma.

Still debating between the FJC and Tacoma.

You are having the same internal debate I had a few weeks back. My deciding factor was truck bed, versus interior cargo space. For me, the protected interior space was more valuable and a trailer could haul anything (and more) that the truck bed would hold. However, anything I would have placed in the truck bed (so far) fits inside with the seats down. Of course tall items or heavy loads will need to go on the trailer.

FYI - wet roads and the Tacoma are not friends. The light rear spins easily and I was displeased with how it handled on wet roads. Just a few things to consider. ;) Good luck with your decision!

Baldman - I don't (or wouldn't) use the truck bed that much either. It would be for ski/bike trips only, and a few hunting trips. The rest of the time, the covered interior space would be more valuable.

And you bring up a valid point about the light rear end. It snows where I am, and it would not be fun sliding out on the road during a blizzard. I know you can put sand bags in the back, but then the other concern is, if you're in an accident, you don't need 50lb bags flying at your head.

The FJC works well in the snow from my limited use. My wife likes it a lot.

The interior space is actually usable. I threw a big fence post power auger in the back a couple of weeks ago that would have torn up the bed of my Tundra or the carpet in the 80.

Just don't try and sue Toyota because your FJC has 50 state emissions and you are pissed about your mileage at triple digit speeds. I think we ended up banning that moron.

The FJC works well in the snow from my limited use. My wife likes it a lot.

The interior space is actually usable. I threw a big fence post power auger in the back a couple of weeks ago that would have torn up the bed of my Tundra or the carpet in the 80.

Just don't try and sue Toyota because your FJC has 50 state emissions and you are pissed about your mileage at triple digit speeds. I think we ended up banning that moron.

I'm starting to lean towards the FJ more and more.

I guess I missed that thread, but I'd think twice about taking the FJ into triple digits. I thought my Jeep Grand Cherokee had bad aerodynamics, but the FJ rivals that of the Great Wall of China.

Half tank of gas? 100 miles/9.5 gallons = 10.5mpg? You need to lay off of the skinny pedal. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom