How loose is your AT shifter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone, I read the thread about replacing the 2 bushings in your AT shifter to tighten it up but wanted to know how loose is normal? Mine has about an 1/2 inch of play front to back and an inch from side to side. I don't want to replace the bushings only to find out that's about as good as it gets. What's normal? Thanks!

Hi Jeff, Yeah I read the same post and already have the bushings. I just wanted to confirm it was worth doing at this stage. I guess it looks easy enough that I should just go ahead and do it. Thanks!:beer:

Look under your vehicle where the linkage attached to the tranny. It should be secured with two nutz. Mine was not secured at all, and the shifter had bad fore and aft movement. After I put on new nuts, it helped quite a bit. Now when I am in D it does not look like im in 3rd or 2nd! I still need to do the bushing mod though.

Look under your vehicle where the linkage attached to the tranny. It should be secured with two nutz. Mine was not secured at all, and the shifter had bad fore and aft movement. After I put on new nuts, it helped quite a bit. Now when I am in D it does not look like im in 3rd or 2nd! I still need to do the bushing mod though.

Thanks Calphi, I'll do that this afternoon.

BTW, I see you have a Saab. I've driven 14 Saabs from Sweden to the US. (Think about it! ;) )

Thanks Calphi, I'll do that this afternoon.

BTW, I see you have a Saab. I've driven 14 Saabs from Sweden to the US. (Think about it! ;) )

Sweet! My dad ordered this one new from sweden in 1995 and he passed it on to me. Its a 9k aero, and it just passed the 70k mile mark.

Hijack over for now.

I put new bushings in mine, it cured all the play for a little while now the front to back play is back. Ill check the nuts on the linkage, i wondered what else would cause the slop.

Mine is loose, i have to put it in park with emphasis, sometimes when you think you have it in park it is really in reverse. I will have to check those nuts.

You can reach them quite easily by crawling under the drivers side and looking up at the tranny. It is a 1/4:banana: fix.

I replaced mine without a manual easy no slop anymre....

From underneath I assume your referring to the 2 bolts to cure the side to side slop, not the bushings????

From underneath the whole vehicle I am referring to the two nuts that attach the shifter linkage to the tranny. I am not sure if it fixes side to side or front to back, but it is definitly worth taking a look at.

Got Slop?

Yes plenty of slop - Nothing to extreme but enough to want to fix it. I will check the underside soon thanks to the posts in this thread. I was close to trying to take the shifer apart and replace busing or at least try to adjust it but got spooked at the thought of screwing it up. Is it really that easy to change the bushings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom