Got Pulled Over Today.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cardomain.com
Ok So I Got Pulled Over By A Highway Patrol Officer.
He Said I Was To High 29 Inches to Be Exact.
Need Fender Flares And New Mud Flaps.
Anyone Know Where I Can Get Some Fender Flares For A 86 4RNR?
I Am Still Trying To Figure Out How To Lower It 5 Inches So I Can Still Drive It.
So Any Help On That Would Be Great.

What size tires you running. You may be able to dump some inches there...

What part of your truck is too high? ALL OF IT, or just the bumpers? etc.
How far out can your tires stick out past the truck?

4Wheel Parts had the best price when I needed to repalce 2 of my fender flares. They are Bushwacker, the "Extend-A-Fender" flares and they use screws or pop rivets to install.

make a bumper than pivots down 6 inches or so for legal road use, then flips up for the trails.

make a bumper than pivots down 6 inches or so for legal road use, then flips up for the trails.

exactly what i was gonna say. Its the way to go.
or, just get some 5 inch channel and weld a few eyelets to it, and fab some nut holes on your existing bumber, and youll be good to go.

If he was 5 inches too high at 29 inches, that sounds like a frame measurement, not a bumper measurement. Frame height restrictions are tough to get around.

Mark...

I think in CA you have to have less than 24" to your frame (Between the wheels...) unless you register as a comercial vehicle.... Not sure what the bumper laws are.... Why am I still talking.....? :D

that aint nuthin.

somtimes i post on this other lame toyota forum. and i swear most of them dont have any idea what the F they are talking about. most staments begin with, "well my truck" or "i think. but im not sure". or some staments are completly untrue.

i just like to go in there, now and prove em all wrong, in a professional manner, of course :D

Here you go

Utah

After being told it's a "mathematical nightmare" to figure out by one local trooper, we got the scoop from another trooper: If your vehicle's wheelbase is 100 inches or less, the most you can lift can be determined by:

Maximum Lift =

Wheelbase x Wheel Track

For 4x4 wheelbases beyond 100 inches, you can lift a total of 8 inches, butyou'll have to remember your new tires do that equation (so if you lift 4-inches, you can go up in tire size that much too).

California
What you can do is dependent on the GVWR. If your truck's is 4,500 pounds, the maximum frame height is
27 inches. If the GVWR is 4,501 to 7,500 pounds, it's 30 inches, and for 7,501 - to 10,000-pounders, it's
31 inches. Also keep in mind that the lowest portion of the body floor can't be more than 5 inches above the top of the frame.

From this site

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/lift-laws.htm

Here you go

Utah

After being told it's a "mathematical nightmare" to figure out by one local trooper, we got the scoop from another trooper: If your vehicle's wheelbase is 100 inches or less, the most you can lift can be determined by:

Maximum Lift =

Wheelbase x Wheel Track

For 4x4 wheelbases beyond 100 inches, you can lift a total of 8 inches, butyou'll have to remember your new tires do that equation (so if you lift 4-inches, you can go up in tire size that much too).

California
What you can do is dependent on the GVWR. If your truck's is 4,500 pounds, the maximum frame height is
27 inches. If the GVWR is 4,501 to 7,500 pounds, it's 30 inches, and for 7,501 - to 10,000-pounders, it's
31 inches. Also keep in mind that the lowest portion of the body floor can't be more than 5 inches above the top of the frame.

From this site

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-corner/lift-laws.htm

I live in WA, and it says that basically there is no law. this is untrue,

as one jerk stater patrol is on a rampage for 4x4 guys.
he has written almost ever 4wheeler i know a ticket.

there are limits.
my link specifies 27 in front and 29 in the rear.

Thats probably why they post this at the top of the page.

LET'S KICK THIS OFF BY SAYING THAT finding out what's legal in every state is about as tough as figuring which one of those whiny, rodent gnawing survivors would pocket a million bucks. You want to do right by The Man, but it ain't all that easy to track down the info. Start with the highway patrol and they'll send you to the DMV, who will refer you to the offices of Public Safety, who will recommend that you talk with AAA, who will return you to the highway patrol.

Seriously, there's more passing of the buck in some states than at a banquet at the Sportsman's Lodge. We even had one state's finest tell us he didn't have a clue and we should call a local 4x4 shop. But that's nothing like the one who told us we needed to talk to the attorney general. Right.

We'd like to think your attorney general is far too busy to take calls from Billy Joe Bob about his 4x4.

But despite all that, we still managed to compile the rules of the road. We burned up the phone lines trying to get all this information, but you online users might want to start with Officer.com, which has links to the police and DMV in almost every state (as well as international information), making it a good source for phone numbers and addresses. If you have further questions regarding the laws in your state, the best bet is indeed the highway patrol-but get the answers before you hit the road, not after you've been pulled over.

One thing you should be aware of: All states that base their laws on headlights and taillights take their measurements from the center of the lamp to the terra firma.

Good Info...

Ok...

Tires 37x13.50x15

Utah Law: 24 Inches or Lower. Fedral Law 53 Inches From Bottom Of Head Light To Ground.

The Officer Said If I Can't Fix It. The Registration Will Be Revoked. And Can Never Be Driven On The Roads Again Unless It Meets The Requirements.

Also I Passed About 15 City Police Cars. And One Highway Patrol Today. The Highway Patrol Is The One That Got Me. And I Have Been Driving It For About 4 Weeks Now.

And Its Funny, When I Was Siiting There Waiting For Him To Give Me A Fix It Ticket I Saw 2-3 Fords That Were Higher Than Mine Drive Pass.

First thing you need to do is get it titled as a truck not a passenger vehicle. 4runners do not have a gross weight from the start in order to get the gvw rating you need too know someone that can alter the registration and re register it with your local gov. otherwise the way I read the laws out there its 23inchs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom