Urgent Help!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got a call from my wife. She is driving our 2000 with 82K all stock and well cared for. She called in a panic about a very load noise the Cruiser started making (she was on her cell phone) I asked her if any dash lights were on ans she said no. She also said it is running fine. The noise sounds like a fax machine connecting (very load) Please help. I do not want her to drive if something is wrong :confused:

Do you mean like a computer noise or a mechanical noise. Tell her to get out and look to see if she is draging anything. Have her look under the hood for smoke, leaks, etc.

Just got a call from my wife. She is driving our 2000 with 82K all stock and well cared for. She called in a panic about a very load noise the Cruiser started making (she was on her cell phone) I asked her if any dash lights were on ans she said no. She also said it is running fine. The noise sounds like a fax machine connecting (very load) Please help. I do not want her to drive if something is wrong :confused:

Not really enough info to diagnose but I'll just throw this out: Did she/someone accidently engage the CDL...and is hearing tire chirping when turning?

X2 - hitting the CDL with a knee has been reported as fairly common

The Cruiser is in our garage and she has not moved it. The noise is as soon as she starts the engine. It does not have to move to hear it. The noise is like a warning buzzer (only very load) it is electrical in nature not mechanical. It sound like a fax machine receiving a fax.

Brake booster pressure warning.
Goes away after a few seconds.

Maybe?

Is this a safty issue? Should I replace it? Low fluid? I was having a pulsing issue, would this be the cause?

Or, could be a bad bearing (or debris) in the passanger side heating fan (behind glove box). Known to make an awful noise.
Have her turn the fan speed up and down and see if there is any changes to the noise.

But, if ONLY when engine running, more likely related to soem engine component. Fan blade broke on engine fan or a "cat" (mouse) under the hood.

Is this a safty issue? Should I replace it? Low fluid? I was having a pulsing issue, would this be the cause?

Safety issue, yes.
But normal if the car has been sitting for a long time, or if some child has played with the brake pedal while parked.
Just takes a ferw seconds for the booster to pump the pressure up again.
Goes automatically when ignition is on. Electric pump.
Probably not be connected with pulsing.

I'm going say that it is the heat shield for the catalytic converter.

My same thoughts on the heat shield. There is a listing here to fix it. (Hint Hose clamp)

Problem Found - Never heard of this one before

Anyone heard of this before. The buzzy sound was the main junction box for the main wairing harness. Toyota has on old service bulletin on this issue. The Juction box shorted out and is tripping the warning system buzzer. The the part is over $650 and labor is $500 OUCH!!!!!!:censor:

Anyone heard of this before. The buzzy sound was the main junction box for the main wairing harness. Toyota has on old service bulletin on this issue. The Juction box shorted out and is tripping the warning system buzzer. The the part is over $650 and labor is $500 OUCH!!!!!!:censor:

Trailer wiring harness?

Anyone heard of this before. The buzzy sound was the main junction box for the main wairing harness. Toyota has on old service bulletin on this issue. The Juction box shorted out and is tripping the warning system buzzer.

Never heard of it on the board before but assume this is the TSB. The combination meter is entire gauge panel and related circuitry.

ALARM NOISE FROM COMBINATION METER
Service Bulletin : EL00202 - FEB 22, 2002 NHTSA Item #: 629437
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Try and get a copy of the service bulletin please. The least they could do for your $1150. We don't have the details yet for the TSB thread.

Last edited:
From the TSB...

Intro:
Some 1998 – 2002 model year Land Cruiser vehicles may experience a continuous
chime/alarm noise emitting from the combination meter after the vehicle has been started or the key has been turned to the “run” position after the bulb check has been completed.
The Cowl Side Junction Block was upgraded from January 2001. For further
improvement, the Wire Harness (Instrument Panel Integration) has been upgraded to correct the above condition.

Applicable Vehicles:
1998 – 2002 model year Land Cruiser vehicles produced within the VIN range
shown below.

STARTING VIN: All 1998 Model Year
ENDING VIN: JTEHT05J#12007563

and
STARTING VIN: JTEHT05J#12007564
ENDING VIN: JTEHT05J622020543

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
A. Confirm Junction Block is an updated component (replace if necessary).
B. Remove wires as described.

snip

BTW, it's covered only under the standard 36 mnts comprehensive warranrty....

TSB - Correct

Yes - that is the issue. Funny how it appears this has not happened to anyone.

The way the TSBs get issued is very hit or miss. Starter contacts seem to go bad on 50% of these trucks but no TSB. (Dealers consider that a "wear" item. No part redesign.)

A very few ring like a Jerry Springer telethon, a TSB gets issued and parts are redesigned.

Both put the truck out of service and cost a bundle to fix. :confused:

uhu - nice details - this thread is now linked from the TSB threads.

ALARM NOISE FROM COMBINATION METER
Service Bulletin : EL00202 - FEB 22, 2002 NHTSA Item #: 629437
Component: ELECTRICAL SYSTEM

Been there, done that - about six months ago(2000 LC with 30,000 miles).

The dealer was going to charge me $800. But after telling them about all of the other LC's with the same problem, they covered the whole thing. I felt very lucky to find a dealer that understood the problem.

It's interesting that the extended 7 year warrenty that I bought with the LC would not cover any of the cost.

STARTING VIN: All 1998 Model Year
ENDING VIN: JTEHT05J#12007563

and
STARTING VIN: JTEHT05J#12007564
ENDING VIN: JTEHT05J622020543

Can you double check those VIN? Something doesn't look right when I compare to mine (i.e. letters vs numbers)

Thanks

I thought the VIN #'s looked odd too because my 2000 LC VIN starts with JT3HT. Hopefully someone else has more info...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom