landcruiser dual cases (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey i am just wondering has anybody set up a sm465 with rock box to a orion t case. if so what are the pro's and con's to it? thanks

I run a SM465, rock box with a 3.313 (I believe) and stock T/c from in 73. Rarely use the 200+:1 ratio. Most of the time I'm switching between the two low ranges. That gives me either a 60 something to1 or 90 something to 1 option in 1st gear. I like it. Oh ya, I run 37s with stock 4.11 diffs.

well it is going to go on a hendrix x-chassis so i want it really low. another question can i run the rock box with the 2 wheel drive sm465 with the 35 spline output

I'm in the process of switching from a 2F/H42/Orion setup to a 350/SM465/NP203/Orion. For the trails we run I found that the Orion was too low in very many situations. I'd run out of speed in 4th gear low but not have the grunt needed in 1st gear high. I was constantly shifting back and forth between low and high in quite a few situations too.

The 2:1 low of the NP203 will probably be the range I will be running in almost all of the time on the trail now. Especially with the 6.58:1 first gear of the 465. I'll still find myself using the 4:1 of the Orion, but I doubt that I will ever need the 8:1 Stupid Low of both of them together. High range will be almost exclusively for the road.

Eventually I will probably replace the 465 with an H42 using one of Jerry's adapters between it and the 203. But for now, since I have all of the parts sitting in the shop, I'll go with the 465/203 combo.

The 350??? Just a side effect of the driveline changes. Need the room for the extra Tcase, so the straight six has to go.

Mark...

you are going to hate that sm465 with all that gear, the gears are spaced too wide. I'm planning to go h42/toybox/splitcase....

I'm in the process of switching from a 2F/H42/Orion setup to a 350/SM465/NP203/Orion. For the trails we run I found that the Orion was too low in very many situations. I'd run out of speed in 4th gear low but not have the grunt needed in 1st gear high. I was constantly shifting back and forth between low and high in quite a few situations too.

The 2:1 low of the NP203 will probably be the range I will be running in almost all of the time on the trail now. Especially with the 6.58:1 first gear of the 465. I'll still find myself using the 4:1 of the Orion, but I doubt that I will ever need the 8:1 Stupid Low of both of them together. High range will be almost exclusively for the road.

Eventually I will probably replace the 465 with an H42 using one of Jerry's adapters between it and the 203. But for now, since I have all of the parts sitting in the shop, I'll go with the 465/203 combo.

The 350??? Just a side effect of the driveline changes. Need the room for the extra Tcase, so the straight six has to go.

Mark...

Would you be switching if you had the 3:1 orion instead of the 4:1?

what trans do you thing would be the best? and another question should i be running cruiser axles with 40inch mt/r and chomolys

you are going to hate that sm465 with all that gear, the gears are spaced too wide. I'm planning to go h42/toybox/splitcase....

This is what I'm building for the BJ42. Same complaints with sm420 and 465- gears too wide apart. Will be swapping the sm465 truck with a 700r4.

I'm familiar with the 465 behind a 2F and behind a 350. Both by itself and in cnjunction with a doubler (NP203). While I agree that I don't particularly like the spacing of the gears in the 465, it's not that bad behind the 350.

I only expect to run this setup for a season or two. The 465/203/Orion is slated to go behind a Banks turbo'd 6.2 diesel in my big '40. The little one will get a 700R/203/Orion when the 465 comes out.

Mark...

Would you be switching if you had the 3:1 orion instead of the 4:1?

Maybe not. My biggest complaint is the lack of overlap between high and low. For full on rock crawling that would be no big deal. But my use of the rig entails long distance travel with lots of slow speed work mixed in. I get into stuff where high range can't handle it. As soon as I get through that spot I run out of speed in low range and can't keep up with the group without shifting the Tcase again. Doing this repeatedly all day long gets old. :(

I'm not sure if the 3:1 low range would give me enough speed. It would probably be low enough for 90%+ of the uses I put the rig to. Even with an H42

Mark...

Maybe not. My biggest complaint is the lack of overlap between high and low. For full on rock crawling that would be no big deal. But my use of the rig entails long distance travel with lots of slow speed work mixed in. I get into stuff where high range can't handle it. As soon as I get through that spot I run out of speed in low range and can't keep up with the group without shifting the Tcase again. Doing this repeatedly all day long gets old. :(

I'm not sure if the 3:1 low range would give me enough speed. It would probably be low enough for 90%+ of the uses I put the rig to. Even with an H42

Mark...

I was considering the 3:1 ratio for just that reason, but I have found that with a fuel injected 350, I can lug it in 1st gear high range enough so that I don't have to shift into low range until i get to the obstacle or climb. At least that's what I'm telling myself so that I will go ahead and get the 4:1 gears. :D

Lugging and creeping in 1st high range works okay. Kicking it up from a lug in deep mud, or pushing through deep water while lugging is where it shows itself the most. Of course the 18 inch wide boggers, locked at both ends, allows no traction slippage until the engine gets into it's powerband more (and not much then!) so that exacerbates the problem.

Back to the original questions; realize that this is a fairly long drivetrain for a '40. You will want to move the engine as far forward as possible. Move the rad forward to create a bit more room. Run you fan as close as you can to the rad. Shift the rear axle back as far as you can. My axle is about 6.5 inches to the rear and with a not so high SOA, my ujoint angles are still gonna be really tight if I don't go with a DC shaft.
It is also a heavy drivetrain (the rotating mass is gonna soak up a lot of apparent horsepower) and shifting an SM465 is like rowing a boat in a lake of nuts and bolts. As mentioned the gear ratios on the 465 are widely spaced, so don't expect any sort of sportiness from the rig.

Mark...

well i am down here in socal so the buggy is going to be really just for cawling. so i think i just might go with the combo. another question how are the vortec
4.3?

That can be easily compensated by switching between the toybox or the transfer case being used as the main gear reduction. You could use just the toybox with the sm465 to get some different gear ratios going, or vice versa.

Besides being 289:1 is fun :D

That can be easily compensated by switching between the toybox or the transfer case being used as the main gear reduction. You could use just the toybox with the sm465 to get some different gear ratios going, or vice versa.

Besides being 289:1 is fun :D

True, but, I'd like to be able to shift while moving :flipoff2:

well i am down here in socal so the buggy is going to be really just for cawling. so i think i just might go with the combo. another question how are the vortec
4.3?

The 4.3 is basically a 350 sbc with 2 cylinders cut off. They are good motors for a light vehicle. If I were going through the trouble of engine swapping, I would go ahead and put a v8 in it......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom