Dragoon Mountains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm heading out to do some exploring this weekend and was wondering if anyone has been out there.
Not to many maps of the area except the topo. The forest service map is out of production and I wasn't able to find it in any books of AZ.
I heard some of the washes have some large rocks blocking the paths I'd like to confirm this if possible and which routes.

Thanks B

Last edited:
My favorite way is to put tires on the ground and see where the "roads" go. Too bad I'm a little busy this weekend, I could come down and demonstrate the finer points of being lost, turning around, backtracking and having the earth fall out from your tires!:hillbilly:

My favorite way is to put tires on the ground and see where the "roads" go. Too bad I'm a little busy this weekend, I could come down and demonstrate the finer points of being lost, turning around, backtracking and having the earth fall out from your tires!:hillbilly:
Oh man I haven't been lost in so long...But I'm not sure if I miss it or not...

two options from the south end off of middlemarch road (1 mile north of Tombstone, left turn east and kicks out in Pearce, AZ)

China Camp road just past (east) sisters ranch the first right you come to after passing the big rocks "Sheep's head". I've only been up about 1 mile, goes a little further.

Soren Pass road, 1/2 way across middle march going to Pearce. Leads up to several mine sites and the big operation at the end of the road above Slavin gulch.
-------

Slavin has been closed from the west side for years.

Fourr canyon on the NW end is a private ranch and access is by permission only.

West stronghold canyon is ONLY via the first cut off before Sheep's head, no wheeling just things to look at on the drive in.

East Stronghold (Ironwood road) has no wheeling, a little free parking toward the Baptist Camp (don't park in their site) OR the paved area at campsite charges for day use unless you have a Golden Eagle.

HTH

rick have you come in from Pierce it looks like there might be a little something there. Shotts were is Jackson Cabin I can't find it on the map.

Thanks Brian

rick have you come in from Pierce it looks like there might be a little something there. Shotts were is Jackson Cabin I can't find it on the map.

Thanks Brian

Jackson Cabin is northeast of Benson. It borders on the Galuirio Wilderness. The Cabin itself has cots and existing utensils for use...the idea is you leave it cleaner than before and with some added food-ish stuff.

There's a cool optional way into Hooker Hot Springs (the start of the trail) via Cacabel, though you'd need a guide who knows it.

There's also a rentable Cabin at the 1/3 way point....but go to the Jackson Cabin instead.

NEVER....NEVER enter the Cabin trail when wet weather is coming. You'll NEVER make it up the hills back out and be stranded. NEVER....lockers or not. NEVER. Got it? The road is easy to moderate and VERY scenic. Here:

http://shottscruisers.smugmug.com/gallery/618958

John,

There is a pipeline road that goes over to Soza Mesa. I haven't traveled it the entire length, but I strongly suspect it is ok as the way I have seen El Paso NG guys driving it in stock pick ups.

EDIT: There may be a gate on the Muleshoe Ranch side though. I have always entered via Soza Mesa and have not driven the whole length.

John,

There is a pipeline road that goes over to Soza Mesa. I haven't traveled it the entire length, but I strongly suspect it is ok as the way I have seen El Paso NG guys driving it in stock pick ups.

EDIT: There may be a gate on the Muleshoe Ranch side though. I have always entered via Soza Mesa and have not driven the whole length.

I'll print and post my back way to HHS....kinda of.....stay tuned. J

I'll print and post my back way to HHS....kinda of.....stay tuned. J

No map. It'll only confuse. I don't think the Pipeline road from the NW goes through (is open) to the trail. I remember seeing it from the trail though there was no access. Not sure.
I also do not know of the 4WD trail from the SW of HHS is open AT HHS. ???

We go up Pomerene Road from Benson, to Cascabel Road, go right toward Willcox, the turn north on the small trail before ranch and NE-path-it from there. We've seen antelope back in there.

BWardeAZ: What time you heading out?

Pretty place. Only been there once, but it was nice. Not a lot of hard core wheeling, and lots of roads that seemed to dead-end on private property, but nice nonetheless...
in the Dragoon Mtns.jpg

The china Peak rd. is/was a blast. Been a few years,(15+):D
Take a good flashlight, lots of mines to explore. Be safe..

John,

The pipeline road into Muleshoe from the Redington Road has not been open (locked gate)since the 80's, maybe even before then. The main Jackson Cabin road has been greatly improved since the takeover by the Nature Conservancy. Back in the good old days, it was pretty much a 5-6 hour adventure from the main ranch house to the cabin. The crossing of Sycamore Canyon(?), a variety of mud bogs and the bottom of the long hill at the cabin could be really tough.

A fun trip that we used to do that was to take Soza Road to the pipeline east from the Redington Road and then turn north into Cherry Springs Canyon and then back down to the Redington Road. Chances of seeing Big Horn Sheep were pretty good. If you had the energy, you could walk over to the edge of Redfield Canyon.

Last edited:
The pipeline road into Muleshoe from the Redington Road has not been open (locked gate)since the 80's, maybe even before then. The main Jackson Cabin road has been greatly improved since the takeover by the Nature Conservancy. Back in the good old days, it was pretty much a 5-6 hour adventure from the main ranch house to the cabin. The crossing of Sycamore Canyon(?), a variety of mud bogs and the bottom of the long hill at the cabin could be really tough.

A fun trip that we used to do that was to take Soza Road to the pipeline east from the Redington Road and then turn north into Cherry Springs Canyon and then back down to the Redington Road. Chances of seeing Big Horn Sheep were pretty good. If you had the energy, you could walk over to the edge of Redfield Canyon.

More roads open.....those were the good ole days.....:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom