header wrap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

why do you want header wrap??

Typically, in moist conditions it tends to just rust the header.

You having heat problems?

Probably not a good idea...

It is great for race cars...making repairs on a hot engine...but I have always been told that it hurts header life....If you buy new headers, look for ceramic coated....I just put some on my Class C motorhome with a Ford 460 that has very little clearance...it seemed to help out with cab heat...
just my 2 cents...Craig

Could somebody specify HOW it hurts header life? How could it rust chromed headers???

Believe it or not, just because its shiny doesnt mean its rust proof. Plus chrome headers discolor and get ugly so fast there really isnt much point to it.

if the insulation gets wet it will be holding the moisture against the header, causing it to corrode quicker than it normally would. Yes even parts with chrome on them will rust. The ceramic coating also insulates a header, not as well Im guessing but it has its applications.

I used the ThermoTec on my MAF ceramic coated headers to keep the engine compartment cooler, increase the scavenging effect, & make the cat light up quicker. No rust problems but only had it on for a few months when the engine died.

why do you want header wrap??

Typically, in moist conditions it tends to just rust the header.

You having heat problems?

I've noticed the heat affecting the clearcoat on the fender. Just wondering if it's a reasonable option. Consensus seems to indicate it will rust the headers. I'll figure something else out to protect the paint.

on the inner fender? or the outside body??

on the inner fender? or the outside body??

Outside. Admittedly, the clear coat is is old and worn and coming off in other places too. It's just that it started there after I installed the header. Not sure of the long term affects on the paint there.

The thermal wrap holds the heat in the header... this increases the scavenging effect, but it also shortens the header life by crystallizing the metal of the headers... you'll eventually end up with a hollow tube of header wrap.

maybe try a heat shield...

good luck
G'dood

Believe it or not, just because its shiny doesnt mean its rust proof. Plus chrome headers discolor and get ugly so fast there really isnt much point to it.

Ceramic coating will not discolor at any temps that a gasser will ever produce. If applied correctly.

shortens the header life by crystallizing the metal of the headers... you'll eventually end up with a hollow tube of header wrap.

Again, temperature range. Unless you are firing nitrous oxide continuously you arent gonna get the heat required to change the crystal structure of header metals. Besides, most of these exhausts are cast if Im not mistaken...there might be some effect of heat "cycling", but that's it. Most failed casts (esp exhausts) fail because of heat cycling caused by cold being applied to hot.
As for the wraps: tends to trap moisture against what are usually cheap metals that are untreated. Worst yet its heated and cooled so it makes it rust that much quicker.

I have run it on my bikes, it does work for performance and heat but what everyone is saying is true. My stock head pipe rusted through in only a years time. I will be wrapping my stainless pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom